THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol

Go down 
+7
Burnage
Ubernoob1
Von Snabel
URIEN
amishprn86
Aschen
FuelDrop
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol   Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03 2017, 18:34

amishprn86 wrote:

And as a SoB you will take Inferno Pistols, i'm thinking about taking a 2nd unit actually for Adepticon (the unit got 12pts cheaper overall).

LOL. I had to read that twice to realize you meant Sisters of Battle...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol   Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03 2017, 18:43

Silverglade wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

And as a SoB you will take Inferno Pistols, i'm thinking about taking a 2nd unit actually for Adepticon (the unit got 12pts cheaper overall).

LOL.  I had to read that twice to realize you meant Sisters of Battle......  Very Happy

Yeah, lol. It's like then for a while but now i'm at the point i dont even see it the "other way".

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol   Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03 2017, 23:12

Silverglade wrote:

The problem is that you're comparing two bad options.

As a blood angels player, I'll tell you that you would never ever play an inferno pistol.   The melta only kicks in at 3", so it really isn't a determining difference.

The 6" range (for both) means that you are rarely actually going to get to fire it as you'll usually be 9" away the turn you show up.

So you're trying to compare how will I squash a fly, with this nice expensive BMW, or this crappy used Buick.    Both will kill the fly, but you can get a fly swatter to be more cost effective.  

They may be bad options (for a melee character I actually think they're workable because of shoot in melee rules), but even with two bad options having one objectively worse and more expensive is bad, because it smacks of lazy design and lack of balancing between armies.

The pistols themselves are fairly irrelevant. They are just two very similar weapons with similar roles in the army with an inexplicable point and power gap.

When you factor in the expected users it becomes even worse, as giving a Space Marine Sargent with his T4, 3+ armour a 9 point upgrade is a better investment than giving it to a Dark Eldar leader with T 3 and 5+ armour. Offensively they're the same, but defensively the SM investment is more likely to survive to pay dividends.

Dark Eldar are supposed to be geared towards offense at the expense of defense, so having this highly comparable weapon be objectively worse while also being more expensive on a frailer platform highlights the flaws in GW's design philosophy towards the DE army.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol   Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04 2017, 23:35

FuelDrop wrote:

When you factor in the expected users it becomes even worse, as giving a Space Marine Sargent with his T4, 3+ armour a 9 point upgrade is a better investment than giving it to a Dark Eldar leader with T 3 and 5+ armour. Offensively they're the same, but defensively the SM investment is more likely to survive to pay dividends.

Dark Eldar are supposed to be geared towards offense at the expense of defense, so having this highly comparable weapon be objectively worse while also being more expensive on a frailer platform highlights the flaws in GW's design philosophy towards the DE army.

Exactly.

The blast pistol should be cheaper than the inferno pistol not only because it is clearly inferior but also as it comes on a far more fragile model.

GW have never been able to use points (8th ed is no different) and are too stupid or lazy to learn. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol   Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blast Pistol vs Inferno Pistol
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2