THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dalamar
Sybarite

Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice Empty
PostSubject: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 16 2018, 21:58

OK quick question,  I have my sky-boards assembled, and all the riders assembled. Do I attach before painting or after painting the two halves?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. is the advice different for the Reaver Jet bikes.
Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17 2018, 01:50

Personally I'd say it boils down to the tools and the time that you've got on hand. If you have the ability to airbrush, keep the riders separate and paint them on their own, before connecting them to the vehicle. If you don't have the means to airbrush, is it worth your time to carefully hand paint each unit?
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17 2018, 04:16

The downside to fully assembling is your brush can't reach into all the crevasses you might want to have painted. You might view that either as a place where there should be less detail because it is shaded, or as an unacceptable loss of painting detail.

With Hellions, I would think you should be able to reach all the relevant parts, and the arms on the riders would be a bigger issue than the riders and the boards. Reavers would limit your ability to paint the bikes or the riders' chests properly, so might be sensible to do separately.
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17 2018, 09:30

I'd prefer to paint hellions separatly & the reavers already glued.

This way I have more space to paint the hellions boards (details, signs & stuff)

But for the reavers, it's not that important if the lower parts of the body aren't neato, you won't see them much anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17 2018, 19:47

thanks for the responses. I will try one each way and see where that takes me.
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03 2018, 21:00

im a beginner painter, i painted them separately, it was still a pain in the ass at times. im about 50% done still need to do the layer paints and high light them but i would say definitely keep them in two parts.

i honestly wish i had done a bit more of at least the base coat painting prior to assembling them fully.

there are some areas that really would have benefited (ie the engine nozzles) from being painted fully first.

Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice 29995624_2107288742883382_1260071125_o

eek, please excuse the dust all over them, i was doing some sanding yesterday and didnt realize they got so much on them until after uploading the pic lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice   Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hellions Painting / Modeling Advice
Page 1 of 1