THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

500 Points 'Beginner' List

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nez
Slave
Nez

500 Points 'Beginner' List Empty
PostSubject: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 22 2018, 21:01

Hi guys!

I'm returning, in a sense, to 40k... Despite never having really played the game in the first place!

A little back story, I originally picked up 40k with the intention of getting into the game, however for one reason or another, I never really managed to. I did, however, keep the majority of my models. I'm a bit of a Xenos freak when it comes to 40k, Chaos and the Imperium never really gripped me.

The three armies I've collected, are Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Orks. Rather than focus solely on one army, which usually ends with me getting bored pretty fast judging off my days playing other wargames, I've decided that I will dust off the models for all three armies and build a 500 point beginner list for each, one to keep me occupied, and two, as it means I'll have small forces to lend to friends to get them into 40k too!

To that end, I've been designing small lists for each of the above factions, and here is the 500 point Dark Eldar list I've come up with. In terms of models I currently own for the Dark Eldar, I simply have the contents of a start collecting box I picked up a year or so ago (Archon, 10 Kabalite Warriors, Raider, 3 Reaver Jetbikes)

I'm looking for any help and advice possible, so feel free to tear me apart if needed!

On to the list;

Patrol Detachment

HQ

Archon - Agoniser, Blast Pistol, PGL

Troops

10 Kabalite Warriors - Dark Lance, Blaster, Sybarite w/ Agoniser, PGL

Elites

4x Incubi

Dedicated Transports

Raider - Dark Lance, Shock Prow

Venom - 2x Splinter Cannon

TOTAL = 498

Basic plan would be to put the Archon and Incubi into the Venom, drop them off near a suitable target to tie up in close combat, and then use the Venom as a gun boat to provide them with covering fire to avoid enemy units doubling up on them if possible.

Warriors in the Raider, get fairly up close and personal (but staying as safe as possible in doing so), basically use the raider and embarked warriors to rain fire on the enemy whilst using the Raiders speed to keep at optimal distance.

Unfortunately I've had to sacrifice an Incubi to fit the Archon onto the Venom and have still had to pay the full price for the Incubi unit, but I suppose it's better than simply having the Archon footslog whilst everyone else flies around without him.

I'm not looking for any tournament winning lists or power level lists, I'm simply looking for advice regarding the list as a foundation for a (one day) bigger army, and whether it'd give me a good idea for how the army feels when playing them.

Thanks for reading this wall of text, any replies are greatly appreciated!

Nez
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 22 2018, 21:46

Well ... That fifth Incubi is going to probably do more in CC than the Archon and honestly the archons aura doesn't really provide much for the rear of the army ... I have always foot slogged my Archon this edition and it's worked just fine for me ... His 2++ is great at letting him just run around ... And usually he isn't the closest model so he's not targetable anyway, and the only other thing I would do is take the agonizer off the syberite and leave him with the splinter rifle and PGL if his sole purpose is to be part of a warrior squad that is only going to be used as fire support.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23 2018, 07:24

I second the footslogging archon. Not the most fluffy, but it works better and the fact that we cannot put our archon with their bodyguards is just stupid.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 01:20

Try to Deepstrike the Archon.
Save your General points.
DS after the the first turn.
Use him to catch any far objective or strike any small unit. You can DS and try a charge rerolling both dices (pfp) or just one of them if you roll a 5 or 6 (1CP). Don't forget the relic: a pistol at 12", 2 shots, 2+/2+, reroll any 1 on both (General trait). At 500 points even those shots are great!
Back to top Go down
Von Snabel
Kabalite Warrior
Von Snabel

PostSubject: Re: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 08:41

If I recall correcly I think they put in restrictions when it comes to understrengthed units.
From Rulebook FAQ
Geedubs wrote:

"If you are
using points, you only pay the points for the models
you actually have in an understrength unit (and any
wargear they are equipped with). An understrength
unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.

If you are playing a matched play game, you can
only include an understrength unit in an Auxiliary
Support Detachment."

Other than that I think your list looks nice. But try it out and come back with your findings. Keep the DS archon in mind and think if I'd make it better or worse (It's a nice idea, ++ on Ceves tactics). Having problems with objectives ? Bring another small squad/faster units. Killing tanks ? More Lances.

Love to hear and discuss further about your findings, mate.

PostSubject: Re: 500 Points 'Beginner' List   500 Points 'Beginner' List I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

500 Points 'Beginner' List
Page 1 of 1