THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Splinter Cannons

Go down 
+23
Dark Elf Dave
RedRegicide
helvexis
Mppqlmd
Anggul
DingWop
SarisKhan
Creeping Darkness
fisheyes
sekac
TheBaconPope
HERO
wormfromhell
Chippen
Crazy_Ivan
withershadow
Lord Asvaldir
DingK
Soulless Samurai
LordSplata
FuelDrop
yellabelly
RegoCrux
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

Splinter Cannons - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2018, 15:28

I'm still taking them on venoms because the longer range is a far bigger deal than most people seem to give credit for.

I'm not sure about taking one on warriors in raiders though. Sure it's triple the shots of a rifle but it doesn't work with splinter racks. Might be better to have another rifle to trigger splinter racks as you've already paid 10pts for them.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2018, 15:45

Thing is, i'm not sure i'll buy splinter racks on future games. In a full round of 16 (coz 2 blasters), they add between 2 and 3 hits, which means 1-1.5 extra wounds. Barely enough to kill an extra GEQ, and they cost 10pts.

Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 01:40

Cannons im taking on raider squads and venoms, its splinter racks i remain unconvinced on.
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych
RedRegicide

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 02:24

They are worth it now if you like to kite opponents, but if the venom is a delivery system don't bother you'll be within 12" in no time

Wych
withershadow

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 05:03

helvexis wrote:
Cannons im taking on raider squads and venoms, its splinter racks i remain unconvinced on.

For a unit with 7 rifles, it’s basically the equivalent of adding another couple of warriors (a little less, but you’re also paying 10 points instead of 12).  So you get to pretend those crew guys are also firing (yet somehow stop doing it when the rest disembark... maybe they should have made them work as splinter rifle “sponsons”).

Whether that is worth it depends on which obsession you are running. I would say it is definitely worth it if you’re using Flayed Skull raiders, since you want to stay embarked and you trigger the double hits about 20% of the time.  For poisoned tongue who may get one shooting phase before they disembark, it might not be worth it. Obsidian Rose is probably on foot, Black Heart is probably mostly flyers and heavy support (and court, because why not take court when you can).
Back to top Go down
Dark Elf Dave
Wych
Dark Elf Dave

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 12:26

I have put a few lists together recently and none of them included Splinter Racks. The rule should have been re-roll 1's to hit which would have been like having the Archon buff but while on a transport.

Venom's I left stock as well. If I ran Poison Tongue I would upgrade Venom's to 2 SC's.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 12:50

Dark Elf Dave wrote:
I have put a few lists together recently and none of them included Splinter Racks.  The rule should have been re-roll 1's to hit which would have been like having the Archon buff but while on a transport.

Do you think doubling shots on Splinter Rifles/Pistols would have been overpowered?

Because that's what every other twin-linked weapon/ability does now.

Dark Elf Dave
Wych
Dark Elf Dave

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 12:58

Well I was just thinking about what I said...is re-rolling 1's actually worse than 6's being two shots? Because the odds are the same but one gives you an extra hit and the other you still have to roll again to hit so no guaranteed hit...so extra hits is better than re-roll 1's. So it should have been re-roll all misses to be better than extra hits on 6's.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 13:00

Soulless Samurai wrote:
Dark Elf Dave wrote:
I have put a few lists together recently and none of them included Splinter Racks.  The rule should have been re-roll 1's to hit which would have been like having the Archon buff but while on a transport.

Do you think doubling shots on Splinter Rifles/Pistols would have been overpowered?

Because that's what every other twin-linked weapon/ability does now.

You'd be able to get 40 splinter shots that ignore cover and reroll 1s to hit. That's not overpowered necessarily but it sure as hell sounds like it's worth more than 10 points to me.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 13:25

I'd gladly pay 25pts for a "double shots" splinter racks.

Sybarite
yellabelly

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 13:39

Splinter racks are ok. I suppose it's boiling down to a similar decision to the splinter cannons on venoms. If you intend to use it as a shooting platform, take them. Over several turns they should earn their points back. If you're using it as an assault platform, it's not worth paying for the upgrade, you won't use it for enough turns to be worthwhile.

Hekatrix
Lord Asvaldir

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2018, 16:22

I've liked using splinter racks so far, but it's not something I put on every raider, more just an extra little buff I'll throw on them if I have a couple pts to spare.

Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17 2018, 08:36

I'd rather have a SC over SR's, they generate 1 or 3 more hits always, and has a much higher chance due to range to generate the 3 extra hits over the 1-2 extra hits the SR add. Finally if you Raider dies you still have your extra hits via SC's.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy
Sybarite
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17 2018, 11:41

I allways take the double cannons. With the blaster being at 18" range, it is nice having a few extra wounds go through. After the rerolling to 1s hit with FS and rerolling 1s to wound with PT, the splinter cannons usually does more damage on vehicles than the blaster does for me now.

|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17 2018, 11:54

Hen Tai, the tentacle guy wrote:
I allways take the double cannons. With the blaster being at 18" range, it is nice having a few extra wounds go through. After the rerolling to 1s hit with FS and rerolling 1s to wound with PT, the splinter cannons usually does more damage on vehicles than the blaster does for me now.

Wait what vehicles do you shoot at?

Normal vehicles t1-7 save 3+
sc 6 shots, 4.66 hits, 0.91 wound, 0.3 unsaved
1 shot, .66 hits, 0.44 wound, 0.44 unsaved, 1.54 damage
Even if it would not have a save the blaster would deal 1.5 times as much damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splinter Cannons   Splinter Cannons - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Splinter Cannons
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2