THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?

Go down 
+3
Shride
CptMetal
jjw771
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jjw771
Hellion
jjw771

How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? Empty
PostSubject: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 20:23

Doom is worded as such: Targets a single enemy unit within 24". Re-roll all failed to-wound rolls against the unit until the next psychic phase.

While the Haywire weapons cause a mortal wound on a 4+ regardless of if a wound was caused or not

So my question is if the Haywire blaster is shooting at a vehicle that requires a 5+ to wound and the vehicle has the Doom psychic power cast on it, am I re-rolling 1's, 2's, and 3's or am I re-rolling the 4's as well?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 20:42

I think 4 as well since you actually fail to wound.

Sent from Topic'it App

Hellion
jjw771

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 21:28

@CptMetal I think it really comes down to; is causing a mortal wound count as a successful wound roll?
Back to top Go down
Shride
Hellion
Shride

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 21:53

jjw771 wrote:
@CptMetal I think it really comes down to; is causing a mortal wound count as a successful wound roll?

My gut said re-roll 4's, but after re-reading the HWB rules, I've swung to the other side of the fence and say no, you don't re-roll them.

Haywire Blaster Abilities wrote:
If the target is a VEHICLE and you roll a wound roll of 4+ for this weapon, the target suffers a mortal wound in addition to any other damage.

Even if there is no other damage, that mortal wound still successfully got through.  So, it successfully wounded.  No Doom re-roll required.

But I could definitely be wrong on this.  Just tossing in my $0.02.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 22:33

Shride wrote:
jjw771 wrote:

My gut said re-roll 4's, but after re-reading the HWB rules, I've swung to the other side of the fence and say no, you don't re-roll them.

Haywire Blaster Abilities wrote:
If the target is a VEHICLE and you roll a wound roll of 4+ for this weapon, the target suffers a mortal wound in addition to any other damage.

Even if there is no other damage, that mortal wound still successfully got through.  So, it successfully wounded.  No Doom re-roll required.

But I could definitely be wrong on this.  Just tossing in my $0.02.

Reading that I'd stick with your initial gut feeling. The Doom power refers to the Wound roll, not whether the target takes a wound. Obviously that's normally the same thing but in the case of the haywire rules you could fail a wound roll but still inflict a mortal wound.

I'd definitely be re-rolling the 4's in the scenario given as they failed the wound roll, regardless of any other effect that may have occurred.

dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 22:41

You reroll the 4, for the purpose of determining if the normal wound lands. Then, you roll your mortal wounds, without rerolls.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20 2018, 23:04

dumpeal wrote:
You reroll the 4, for the purpose of determining if the normal wound lands. Then, you roll your mortal wounds, without rerolls.

Eh? What do you mean? There is no separate roll for mortal wounds. They're an additional effect of the wound roll.

Hypothetical example - 10 hits from a haywire weapon (S4) against a T5 target, so 5+ needed to wound. Wound rolls of 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6. With the Doom power you would re-roll failed wound rolls, ie anything less than 5+. So you re-roll the 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, and 4, this time getting 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6 giving us a final array of 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6. This gives 5 normal wounds (5, 5, 6, 6, 6) and 3 mortal wounds (6, 6, 6). The rest do nothing.

Gorgon
Hellion
Gorgon

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21 2018, 02:58

Straight from my codex:
Doom has a warp charge value of 7. If manifested, choose an
enemy unit within 24" of the psyker. You can re-roll failed wound
rolls against that unit until your next Psychic phase.

The word "can" in there tells me that you can leave 4s if you want.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
yellabelly
Sybarite
yellabelly

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21 2018, 06:36

@Count Adhemar haywire inflict single mortal wounds on a 4+, and D3 mortal wounds on a 6+. So your example would inflict a tasty 3D3+2 mortal wounds on a vehicle. Definitely agree on rerolling 4s, it's a failed wound roll vs T5+.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21 2018, 19:26

yellabelly wrote:
@Count Adhemar haywire inflict single mortal wounds on a 4+, and D3 mortal wounds on a 6+. So your example would inflict a tasty 3D3+2 mortal wounds on a vehicle. Definitely agree on rerolling 4s, it's a failed wound roll vs T5+.

My bad Embarassed I think I was thinking of sniper rifles lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?   How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How does the Haywire rule interact with the psychic power Doom?
Page 1 of 1