THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Glass Battleaxe
Kabalite Warrior
Glass Battleaxe

2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force Empty
PostSubject: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05 2020, 22:10

So, on the first weekend of October, I'll be taking part in my first tournament of 9th - one that, due to Covid, has shrunk from a 60-player event to a 26-player one. As such, I'm tempted to try something a bit different, and revive my (mostly) pure Wych Cult idea - this might be the edition that makes it work.

So, without further ado, here is the list I plan to take with me:

Patrol 1 - Red Grief 1

HQ

- Succubus with Blood Glaive (Relic) and Blast Pistol - 60pts
- Warlord: Hyper-Swift Reflexes
- Combat Drug: Adrenalight

Troops
- 10 Wyches (Shardnet/Impaler, 2 Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix has Power Sword and Blast Pistol) - 140pts
- Combat Drug: Grave Lotus

Fast Attack
- 6 Reavers (2 Blasters, 2 Grav-Talons, Champion has Power Sword) - 161pts
- Combat Drug: Painbringer

- 6 Reavers (2 Heat Lances, 2 Grav-Talons, Champion has Agoniser) - 151pts
- Combat Drug: Painbringer

Flyer
- Razorwing Jetfighter (Dark Lances and Splinter Cannon) - 175pts

Patrol 2 - Red Grief 2

HQ

- Succubus with Shardnet/Impaler - 60pts
- Combat Drug: Hypex

Troops
- 5 Wyches (no special weapons, Hekatrix has Agoniser and Blast Pistol) - 65pts
- Combat Drug: Serpentin

Fast Attack
- 5 Hellions (Helliarch has PGL) - 80pts

- 5 Hellions (Helliarch has PGL) - 80pts

Flyer
- Razorwing Jetfighter (Disintegrator Cannons and Splinter Cannon) - 185pts

Patrol 3 - Cursed Blade

No Force Org

- 5 Razorwing Flocks - 70pts

HQ
- Succubus with Archite Glaive and Blast Pistol - 60pts
- Combat Drug: Serpentin

Troops
- 10 Wyches (Shardnet/Impaler, 2 Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix has Agoniser and Blast Pistol) - 140pts

- 10 Wyches (Shardnet/Impaler, 2 Razorflails, Hekatrix has Power Sword and Blast Pistol) - 140pts

Elites
- Beastmaster - 40pts
- Combat Drug: Splintermind

Flyer
- Voidraven Bomber (Void Lances and Missiles) - 185pts

Dedicated Transports
- Raider with Dark Lance and PGL - 95pts

- Raider with Disintegrator Cannon and PGL - 100pts

Total: 1997pts

The idea behind this list is to take advantage of its mobility to keep racking up points to make up for it's innate lack of firepower - aside from the jets, I don't have much in the way of dedicated anti-armor, so I'm looking to outscore opponents, rather than outlast them. With this in mind, there are a few queries I'd like to ask:

1. What would be the best secondaries to use in order to get the most out of this list? I'm thinking Engage on All Fronts could be a good one - given that the Aircraft can count towards it, and it'll be quite easy for Red Grief units to get into every quarter - but as for the others, I'm not too sure.

2. This list will be the first time that I use Cursed Blade as my second cult instead of Strife, as I feel that the +1 Strength might be more beneficial to the units in that detachment than the extra attack on the charge/counter-charge/intervention. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about it is the combat drugs on the Wyches - is Adrenalight a good choice, giving them an extra attack at S4? Or is there something to be gained from Grave Lotus and having S5 Wyches instead of the extra attack.

I won't be able to get much practice in atm, as my local club has yet to start up again, but I am keen to hear any thoughts or tactics that might help.
Back to top Go down
dragut rais
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 05:36

I Play witch cult too. Little bit different, one of my 3 patrol is a custom one with test of skill/beserk fuge/art of pain dependind on what i'm expecting to face more often. I found very easy to score, scramblers. Good luck
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 12:53

Full disclosure, I have not been able to make good use of Cult. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Generally, the going recomendation is to take multiple 5 man units over the bigger 10 man units of Wyches. Gives you more board control and more Blast Pistols. I see that you are trying to maximize combat drugs, but its something to think about.

The list looks a little strange without a bunch of boats floating around, but you may be onto something. 3 flyers and 2 raiders dont give up much for Bring It Down, which is great. You do have a lot of movement with the flyers, reavers and hellions, which will be very important for All Fronts. I assume some of those will go into reserve to come in later? I would worry about all the fast stuff getting blown up early game.

Since you are already investing in a Beastmaster, it may be a good idea to take more beasts. One of my MVPs is the Sslyth/Court of the Archon, because they are so cheap and can occupy space. Taking a few squads of 2 Khymare/1 Clawed Fiend/etc may be a good idea for screening. They take a lot more firepower to take down than most oponents want to dedicate (especially with all that CC running at you).

1. You have a LOT of infantry in this list, making Actions fairly easy. Deploy Scramblers, Engage on All Fronts and Raise Banners would be some of the main ones you should look at. The third secondary is always hard to choose, and is generally opponent dependent (Bring it Down, Abhor the Witch, etc)

2. This is really dependent on your Meta. S5 would be great vs Marines, so its not a BAD choice by any means.

It is nice to have a Test of Skill patrol, so you can kill vehicles/monsters for Bring It Down. That is a very common secondary.

Let us know how it goes!

dragut rais likes this post

Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Kabalite Warrior
Glass Battleaxe

PostSubject: Re: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 17:40

Thanks for the responses, guys. Unfortunately, circumstances have changed since writing this list, and I will no longer be attending the tournament in question - mainly due to new restrictions on events and gatherings.

I did, however, manage to get a match in with it before I made this decision, so I can share some details as to how it performed. My opponent used an Ultramarine list consisting of Girlyman, the new Indomitus stuff and some other Primaris units, including two units of Hellblasters. We played Overrun, and to cut a long story short, I won by 64-47.

What worked/went well

Secondaries: I chose Engage on All Fronts, Raise Banners and Assassinate (he had 6 characters for me to kill) - all of which were manageable for me to achieve. I ended up scoring 12 points from both Engage and Assassinate, and 10 points from Banners - all of which helped me to boost my lead throughout the game. Although I started the last round with just my jets, I was already a good 15 or so points ahead by then, so the choice of secondaries definitely matters.

Hellions: Yes, believe it or not, they were actually useful - well, one of the squads was: I made the mistake of trying to use the others to tie up a Hellblaster squad in turn 1. However, the other unit was able to raise at least two banners before being killed in combat with a squad of Bladeguard Veterans (which, btw, are nasty buggers when buffed). And, knowing that they would die to a stiff breeze anyway, giving them Hypex and making them Red Grief helped with their usefulness.

Cursed Blade Wyches: Before, when using a second cult, I would always pick Strife over Cursed Blade, as I felt that more attacks would be more valuable to me against tougher enemies. However, S5 Wyches can pack quite a punch (I did go with Grave Lotus for both squads in the end) and their immunity to Combat Attrition tests means that taking them in squads of 10 is still a viable option.

Jets: All 3 of my jets actually did quite well, with all but 1 of the Razorwings surviving till the end. I think what helped was, as I didn't have enough vehicles/monsters for my opponent to auto-pick Bring it Down, they weren't a priority - or if they were, the shooting wasn't as successful - which in turn allowed them to count towards Engage on All Fronts (I only failed to score it on the final round). And only once did I need to put one in reserve, purely because there wasn't room for it to fit around the opponent's forces (as in, there physically wasn't enough space) - but it was back a turn later.

What didn't work/go well

Beastmaster and Beasts: Suffice to say, this was a waste of 110pts. The plan was to use them to tie up units in combat. However, much like the Hellions above, they encountered the Bladeguard Veterans - and although they took the final wound off of one of them, they were immediately eradicated in return. And the Beastmaster didn't fare any better, as a nearby Judiciar heroically intervened and ripped her to shreds. They have since been removed from my list and replaced with a squad of Haywire Scourges for future games.

Void Mine: This was more bad luck on my part, as it ended up being ineffective against a full squad of Primaris Intercessors - not that it would have done any better against anything else, but it only did three mortal wounds out of a possible nine (one model had been killed the turn before).

Overall, though, I think the list works quite well - focusing on utilising their mobility instead of trying to outlast or outgun my opponent paid dividends in this match.

@fisheyes you make a few good points there. Personally, as I mentioned above, I feel 10-man Wych squads could still work with Cursed Blade, given that they can't lose more than one to morale, but maybe the Red Grief squad could do with being a 5-man.

T5 Reavers are surprisingly tanky, so it took my opponent a bit longer to deal with them - they still died, but not as quickly as I expected. And I mentioned above about how my Jets, not being a priority for my opponent, were able to survive and continue to be effective.

Personally, I'm not too worried about screening for Wych Cults. With Covens I can understand it because they have the durability to be in the open - the majority of Wych Cult stuff doesn't, especially if an opponent decides to focus fire and clear a space. Plus, if the opponent has no deep-striking, then I've spent points on weak units that I could better spend on something more useful (see above comment on Beastmaster/Beasts). I'd rather that the units I bring be useful in scoring points than just as a screen to deny a potential deep-strike area that my opponent may or may not use.

Regarding the PA stuff, I personally find it all a bit useless - Test of Skill is perhaps the only useful thing for Cults, but then I'd have to pick another trait that won't be as useful. I think I'll be sticking to Codex stuff until our new one comes out (also means I only need to carry one book, which is always good).
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25 2020, 17:41

TY for taking the time to post your results! I would not have expected Wych Cults to be so effective against Marines

Glad you were able to find a good use for your Hellions. They are beautiful models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force   2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2000pt Wych Cult Raiding Force
Page 1 of 1