THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?

Go down 
+7
sweetbacon
Burnage
sekac
Soulless Samurai
Zenotaph
Yziel
CptMetal
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11 2021, 19:34

Kalmah wrote:
the major problem with FLayed Skull is that the unit that receive the bonus is the model inside the transport, not the transport itself...........it would have been so much better if it was written: models INSIDE a FS transport ignore cover. Suddenly it would have made this obsession one of the best (if not THE best) obsession for our transports (without forgetting the sweet +2M).

The transport also ignores cover. It just doesn't matter for Dark Lances and you're not likely to be running Venoms in 9th at the moment.

Flayed Skull is definitely the Kabal that suffered the most in the transition between editions.

Edit: Wait, I think I misunderstood your point. FS transports giving the bonus to other Kabals or even Cult and Coven units embarked inside them would definitely be strong but also the kind of thing GW absolutely wouldn't do.

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11 2021, 20:32

lol this is a good example of one little slight change that can makes something unplayable becomes completely broken!
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 00:26

Soulless Samurai wrote:
sekac wrote:

The question is what is the intent with the squad? If you ONLY care about killing vehicles with Trueborn, OR might be the best choice. However, PT trueborn with Metalotoxins is just mathematically superior to OR at dealing wounds. Obviously it is inefficient if you need to be shooting at vehicles turn after turn, but when you need a vehicle dead in a turn, PT are your best bet.

Would you be willing to show me the math on that?

I ask because it seems that you would run into the exact same problem against vehicles that you do against Marines - your poison weapons are all AP0 D1. It hardly seems like the most efficient use of Potent Metallotoxins, let alone when it requires a significant sacrifice in terms of Kabal choice (and CP).

Just in terms of their poison weapons, 7 PT rifles in FR range (I'm assuming you're using the special and Heavy weapons on the squad) put ~2.59 wounds on a vehicle with a 3+ save. Meanwhile, an OR unit puts 1.94 wounds on the same vehicle but then also gets a reroll to wound with either their D3+3 damage Dark Lance (to which I'd give priority) or one of their D6 damage Blasters.

Well sure! But just to clarify, I was comparing the anti-tank power of a standard OR squad (an anti-tank unit whose performance I assume is sufficient for you otherwise you wouldn't take them) compared to PT with Metalotoxins on the turn where it's needed.

Against T7, 3+ vehicle
OR:
1 Lance: 1×(5/6)×((2/3)+(2/3)(1/3))×5=3.7
2 Blasters: 2×(5/6)×(2/3)×3.5=3.89
14 Poison: 14×(5/6)×(1/6)×(1/3)=0.65
Total: 8.24

PT:
1 Lance: 1×(5/6)×(2/3)×5=2.78
2 Blasters: 2×(5/6)×(2/3)×3.5=3.89
14 Poison: 14×(5/6)×(2/3)×(1/3)=2.59

Total: 9.26

I'm not saying PT make better tank hunters, they don't. But tank hunting isn't typically useful throughout an entire game. It is usually valuable early in the game but loses power as tanks die. PT can do a good OR impression for a strat, but since they are better infantry/monster hunters, they continue to have a higher value as the battle evolves. And to me, thats the only reason to take trueborn in the first place, the versatility. If all you need to do is kill tanks, then a ravager is much better than trueborn for basically the same cost (not including the raider).

Soulless Samurai wrote:
sekac wrote:
I should clarify there. If only running a single warrior squad as tax, I'd agree, I prefer OR. However, if running MSU, I'd rather lean into the volume fire. Regardless, I don't personally rate blasters very highly. I use Reapers for my anti-tank so blasters are more or less just incidental shooting in my lists.

I do agree with you about Blasters. But even if I was taking Shredders instead, I'd still want OR because trying to buff Splinter Rifles just feels like throwing good points after bad.

But you don't spend points on obsessions. Still, I take your point. Frankly, I don't ever include more than 5 warriors (BH) or 10 trueborn (OR/PT) in a list. If I were to take multiple 5 man squads though, they'd be PT with shredders.

Soulless Samurai wrote:
sekac wrote:
That is a good point. Raiders aren't necessarily going to point you at which kabal to take because the Raiders can also choose to be of the Cult or Coven subfaction as well. The one reason to make a Raider PT is if it is carrying units who would benefit greatly from the redeploy PT strat.

The trouble with Cult and Coven is that they tend to provide very few benefits for transports. A lot of their stuff is melee-focussed and much of Coven only works on non-vehicles. By and large, it seems like your choices boil down to a DT Raider with a Disintegrator or else a Dark Creed Raider for the aura.

You're right about the PT strat, though I'm perhaps biased as I played loads of games as PT in 8th and never wound up using it once.

I would actually take a DT raider with a dark lance over pretty much anything else too. The obligatory 1 BH raider and everything else DT (unless leaning into the PT redeploy strat). I'm a sucker for spike damage and it's mathematically superior to any other lance. No re-rolls but +1 to wound and +1 damage more than compensate.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 15:10

Flayed Skull has fallen pretty hard. I would rather build a custom Kabal with the +2" movement.

But its not like we are lacking in choices, so we shouldent complain too hard Razz
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 15:20

fisheyes wrote:
But its not like we are lacking in choices, so we shouldent complain too hard Razz

Like we always say in our gaming group: Dont like it? Play Marines... lol!

Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 16:42

sekac wrote:
But you don't spend points on obsessions.

I was thinking more in terms of opportunity cost but you're right, I shouldn't have said 'points'.

Also, thank you for the math. I'm still not sure about PT but I'll freely accept that you're right about it being better against vehicles with the aid of that stratagem. Smile

sekac wrote:
Frankly, I don't ever include more than 5 warriors (BH) or 10 trueborn (OR/PT) in a list. If I were to take multiple 5 man squads though, they'd be PT with shredders.[/color]

Out of interest, do you find Shredders at all useful against vehicles or do you use them exclusively against infantry?

fisheyes wrote:
But its not like we are lacking in choices

The Haemonculus's wargear section begs to differ. Sad

sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 17:26

Soulless Samurai wrote:
Out of interest, do you find Shredders at all useful against vehicles or do you use them exclusively against infantry?

I've used them only a few times against vehicles. They're okay for chipping in a couple wounds if there are no better targets. They do okay against T6 vehicles but are just trash against T7.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 18:48

Soulless Samurai wrote:

Man, are you negative. Everytime you write, there is at least one rant in it.
It really gets depressing, you know...
I bet, you look in both directions when crossing a one way street.

The Strange Dark One likes this post

Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 19:41

Zenotaph wrote:
Soulless Samurai wrote:

Where I live (northern Washington state, USA), you gotta look both ways at a one-way street. Canadian drivers are always going the wrong way on our roads (not for the last year though, for obvious reasons)!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 19:51

Haha, we are going the wrong way because you guys dont have the correct speed limits. What the heck is an "MPH"? (joking)

Actually there is a little bit of tech available for the humble Haemi.

Vex Mask
Fear Incarnate
Poisoners Ampule
Flensing Blade
Twisted Animator (this is kinda reaching though).

I have personally cut the Haemi out of my current Tournament lists, mostly because our Codex just has so many good options I dont want to spend the points/Characters on a Haemi.

In my Fun lists I alwasy bring a Haemi, 10 Haemoxytes and 2x10 Wracks with Twisted Animator. My beer hammer group have learned to not shoot at any Wracks unless they are very confident they can wipe them XD
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 21:05

personally i see my Haemi only as +1T walking aura and a healer for my Monsters/Grotesque and in some case, reanimator as stated by @fisheyes

They're really far from the beatstick that are the Succubus or the Djinn Archon (or the PT Agonizer Archon)

Sad that they are the most expensive of our HQ :/
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12 2021, 21:38

But the 'only +1T' Aura is really good. T5 Wracks are very durable for their points.

Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 00:06

ha don't worry, they fulfill their role pretty decently....and then some Wink
i'm not saying that they are bad, just that they are our most expensive regular HQ while being....how can i say it.....not that flashy! lol
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 00:41

Zenotaph wrote:
But the 'only +1T' Aura is really good. T5 Wracks are very durable for their points.

It is good, but it also has depreciating value as a defensive aura. With offensive auras like Archons, Succubi, and Chronos, the value is directly proportional to the number of attacks rolled within that aura. The more you pack in, the more value added. 

It's not quite the same thing with defensive auras. If you have 2 squads of wracks, both are not likely to benefit. The opponent will focus on one squad and the second squad only benefits if the first dies and there are attacks left over (or for other random range/LoS reasons). Ironically, the more units benefitting from the aura, the less value you get out of it.

The way to counterbalance that is to have different profiles within the same aura. For instance a blob of 20 wracks and 3 chronos. The weapons required to attack those units efficiently are very different so the opponent's attacks are naturally going to be split between the units and both will benefit in the same turn.

All in all, it makes just fitting him into any old list is tricky. He's expensive enough that you need to makes sure you get value out of him. That means not only taking other units to benefit from the aura, but also positioning him and those units in a way that your opponent is forced to deal with them. Because if your opponent can win without needing to kill those units, his aura does nothing at all.

He's certainly effective in the right lists, but not something where you'd plug him into a list with 80 points to spend.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 00:55

Haemonculi could drop 10 or 20 points very easily and I don't think anyone would sniff. They have some uses but right now they're the heaviest tax to running a Realspace Raid.

sekac and Soulless Samurai like this post

Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 02:59

Burnage wrote:
Haemonculi could drop 10 or 20 points very easily and I don't think anyone would sniff. They have some uses but right now they're the heaviest tax to running a Realspace Raid.
I would add that ALL Coven units minus Wracks need a 10-20 point reduction to make them  competitive with our more points efficient units like Wyches and Incubi.  Grotesques should be 30ppm and Talos probably need to be around 90-100.  A Master Haemonculous should be 70-80.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 05:11

sweetbacon wrote:
Burnage wrote:
I would add that ALL Coven units minus Wracks need a 10-20 point reduction to make them  competitive with our more points efficient units like Wyches and Incubi.  Grotesques should be 30ppm and Talos probably need to be around 90-100.  A Master Haemonculous should be 70-80.

I think Chronos are about right. Well at least DT chronos are. They're all reasonably effective for their cost, given their general utility (re-roll 1s to wound aura, regenerate/revive models, count as T5 on PfP strat), but DT chronos present some legit mid-range shooting. 
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 15:09

Zenotaph wrote:
Soulless Samurai wrote:

I apologise, clearly I was mistaken. All praise and glory to Games Workshop for relieving me of the agony of choosing which weapon I would like my Haemonculus to be equipped with. I was initially dejected that I could not use my converted Hexrifle-Haemonculus but I see now that I brought this on myself by sinning against the sanctity of a monopose Games Workshop model. I shall immediately rectify my mistake by buying a new Haemonculus, pure in its perfection, which is the only Haemonculus model I shall ever use from now on. I shall also buy a Citadel Self-Flagellation Device (TM) and look up the appropriate number of strikes to make up for my grievous offence.

Zenotaph wrote:

As opposed to "Hmm, I think I hear a truck coming the other way but that couldn't possibly happen because this is a one-way street. I suppose I could turn my head that way and find out, but that would be dreadfully pessimistic of me. Instead, I'll just look the other way and walk out into the street. After all, there's a little blue sign to indicate that this is a one-way street, so any trucks coming the other way are purely figments of my imagination."

Marrath likes this post

Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13 2021, 15:54

Ah, escaping to sarcasm. But its to be expected from a salt shaker. Nothing new here...
I think, I'll be better off, ignoring your future posts and hope you change to playing Marines. Or Monopoly...

The Strange Dark One likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15 2021, 09:16

Right now I'm riding:

-Strife for Cults. CoS is just silly good, GW should ban every campaign book from competitive enviroment and just fix Codexes, they're not able to write balanced campaigns and they will never be. CoS Strife is just ludicrous good, so here we go.

-BH for Kabal. Even with no RSR (which I never play), BH still the best overall imho. +1 PfP means giving 5++ on T3 on everything, or advance+charge on T1 for everything (non mercs, but you don't care much). BH have the best Archon Courts, and between rerolling hit/wound personally I prefer the first just because you're always rolling more hit rolls than wound rolls during the game. Just because wound rolls happens on successed hit rolls. Make it simple: shooting with 1 Disintegrator, you will always roll 3 dice to hit, but not always 3 dice to wound, so in fact the BH reroll is simply more solid: you always have it, and if you don't it's just because you already hit with everything.
Plus, you have Vect (which is always good for free).
HONORABLE MENTION: one build with Poisoned Tongue is really, really good and understimated. If you run 2 or 3 Voidravens, or 2 Void + Tantalus, go PT! Being able to put them on reserves after the initiative roll push them from being "meh" choices into "really good" choices.

-Coven, DarkTecnomancers with 6 Chronos. I'm in love with Chronos, they're just amazing. Good against Marines, good against hordes (blast), buffs up other units, pretty tough, and for 3CP you can flank all 6 of them.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16 2021, 13:06

Got in a game last weekend against a competitive DA player.

Once again Obsidian Rose just rocked socks. At one point I forgot to measure my Lance Ravager range, and found that I was 38.6" away from the intended target. Because of OR I was fine, but that was awfully close.

Plus those re-rolls when you are wounding on 4s (because Inner Circle/Trans Human) are so clutch.

I really want to try out Poison Tongue for the redeploy, but OR is just too good to pass up IMHO.

CoS once again was clutch. The threat of double attacking Wyches meant a whole Terminator block attacked them instead of more important units.

PoF wracks once again ate an unreasonable amount of fire power. Seriously, 3x10 of these bad boys/girls sitting in cover are a NIGHTMARE to deal with. If you have not run them yet, please do! (I find that you need 3x10, any less is not enough. Generally left with 3-5 at the end of a battle)
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16 2021, 13:39

How are those Wracks equipped, besides ECWs?

Hmm, and what Units were more important than your Wyches?

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16 2021, 17:58

Naked except for the ECW (pun intended Wink ). They still need to get played pretty conservatively, but I have found that putting 10 on one flank, and 2x10 on the other, means that a few survive until late game, when there isnt much left to deal with them.

I only take 15 wyches (5+10) for hoard clearing and for doing the various CoS janks. Draz, Succubus, Archon and 15 Incubi are the real Punch in the list. Trueborn and Ravager throw down the hurt at range. I also run 9 Reavers, but those are distraction Carnifexs, and rarely do anyting other than say "hey look at me! I can be scary, maybe, sometimes!"

If I were to say the most "important", it would probably be the Scourge/Mandrakes. Those guys just score points and win games. I left the mandrakes out too far and they evaporated, but the Scourges went on to score 2 ROD points, making it impossible for the opponent to stop my win (I went second so was able to score 15 primary at end of Turn 5, the only primary I scored all game!)
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16 2021, 18:05

Never tried Hexrifles? I know, you dont like Ossefactors.

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16 2021, 18:16

Ive tried them a few times, but Wrack firepower has never really done it for me (outside DT Liquifiers, which I fought against for the longest time before drinking the Kool-Aid and joining the party).

I have played against DT Hexrifles/Ossifactors, and while the threat is scary, it didnt actualy affect the game.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am playing Competitive, so they may do good work on a beer-hammer table, especially if you are playing against a non-competitive opponent with a non-competitive army/list.

IMHO those points are better spent on Raider upgrades or Scourge weapons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?   Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Kabal and Coven obsession do you use and why?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next