THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New GW Paint Range Discussion

Go down 
+12
Shadows Revenge
The_Burning_Eye
oberonson
Local_Ork
Archon
Levitas
Azdrubael
Evil Space Elves
Marquis Vaulkhere
KnightSeerValkia
Sky Serpent
Baron Tordeck
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26 2012, 07:57

I think they are very complex smart product line that will bring GW lots of money.

They basically create a basket for any new customer get some Base Color, Then Shade Color, Then Layer Color for highlights, Then Glaze for a finishing touches. Dont forget to get some textures or drybrush.

Oh and take this really usable book that you can set up on the table with tips and pictures, that will point you to all our brushes name and rest of instruments.

Oh and we also play change the name of our colors to the names our IP have license for, so no , no other company shall profit so much on better and cheaper substitutes for our paints.

Oh and we still have same bottle, so you will have to paint fast or buy yourself a new paint if that one will dry. ))

But dont worry our staff will surely point you how to paint good and fast. And sell you those damn, mean great solid sintetic brushes )) Finebrush quality ).

Overall thats a good thing for a new painters. I approve. They wont have to find and read all those articles on basic painting stuff and they have a process of painting already connected with a product line.
GW managers on that one did really good.

Overall im really looking forward to see the new Glazes and how paint behave, i heard they change manufacturer and this paint line will be of better quality.

Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26 2012, 13:32

Moving and merging this to the current discussion thread for the new paints...

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 05:23

For those who still dont chose their paint scheme, there is new guide on GW website with colors of Black Heart Cabal and Dark Eldar skin.

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 14:39

I find I don't use GW that much anymore.

I use Skull white, Scorched Brown and Chaos black and then use P3 or Vallejo otherwise unless there just isn't a color equivalent.

so new paint line....meh. Its a new IP line to me, same colors, new fangled price.

However, I do hope the glazes are going to be good.

My 2 pain tokens

New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 15:53

Azdrubael wrote:
For those who still dont chose their paint scheme, there is new guide on GW website with colors of Black Heart Cabal and Dark Eldar skin.

You mean shopping lists?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a

Because 40K painting section is empty...
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/articleCategory.jsp?community=&communityArticleCatId=600003&articleCatId=600003&catId=cat210004
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 16:15

Yeah, exactly )

Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 20:44

Merging this with the other GW paint discussion and then moving that here.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2012, 14:56

GAR wrote:
I find I don't use GW that much anymore.

I use Skull white, Scorched Brown and Chaos black and then use P3 or Vallejo otherwise unless there just isn't a color equivalent.

so new paint line....meh. Its a new IP line to me, same colors, new fangled price.

However, I do hope the glazes are going to be good.

My 2 pain tokens

actually they are the same price... currently

and the glazes were nice. the problem being is that they are only 4 colors, RBG and yellow (because supposeably yellow is hard to make)
Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03 2012, 13:25

I tried the new paints out at my local GW store on the day of their release and... Well... I wasn't amused. To me, the new colours weren't that impressive, since I prefer to go by mixing and matching, but for people who don't like mixing I guess it's nice. The shades seemed to me to be exactly like the old washes in thickness and pigmentation, whereas the glazes just appeared to be a thicker version of the shades (with an extremely limited colour range).

The layer paints are just like the old 'normal' paints, but with new and changed colours. Their coverage seemed to be about the same as before (especially when an agitated salesman, after having called me a professional painter for seeing me dilute the paint, urged me to paint straight out of the pot, insisting that's the 'proper way' and that all painters paint that way).

The most pointless paints of them all were the textured. Seriously, they expect us to pay for paints that are in essence over-used cat sand with some pigments thrown in? I guess they can be used to make quick and easy bases, but from what I've seen the results are... Well... crap.

I didn't get to try out the metallics nor the dry paints, since there was a lot of commotion in the store and I got tired of the annoying store employee giving me idiotic painting tips ('painting goes way faster if you paint straight from the pot').

I might pick up some metallics to try them out and perhaps a base colour or two (they seemed nice). I still prefer Vallejo's paint range though, because of their more muted finish and of course the dropper bottles, which makes mixing way easier to keep consistent.

My project log: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03 2012, 15:43

the textures are exactly as you said. They are for basing if you have already primed the model. The only thing I can think of for them is for when you want like a flat surface of say... gravel or sand. I forsee it going well with alittle bit of normal sand or gravel or whatever on top to give it some 3d look.

As for the paints themselves, we found it was better to use it out of the bottle though. We tried a ton of tests witht he bases. We added too much water to a little drop, and it all made it too watery. Many of us had even started joking that GW just went and started watering down their paints for us Very Happy. To be honest though its all to make their hobby more accessable. I dont paint often because I know my skills cant live up to the idea in my head of what I want. These paints will help newer players ease into the idea of painting, which will hopefully help them in the long run.

Oh and btw the drybrushes are probably the best thing they added. We have been using them for a week and a half by now and barely put a dent into those bottles.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03 2012, 16:12

Shadows Revenge wrote:
As for the paints themselves, we found it was better to use it out of the bottle though. We tried a ton of tests witht he bases. We added too much water to a little drop, and it all made it too watery.

I prefer painting with very thin paint in many layers, so using it straight from the pot really didn't appeal to me. The thickness of the paints I got to try were more or less exactly like the old paints, so I naturally found them too thick. Of course, it's all about personal preference.

Shadows Revenge wrote:
Oh and btw the drybrushes are probably the best thing they added. We have been using them for a week and a half by now and barely put a dent into those bottles.

I don't drybrush much, so they weren't my number one priority to try out. Since the only things I consistently drybrush are metallics, I might go ahead and try Necron Compound and Golden Griffon later on.

I guess the revamp (or rather perestroika) of the paints will make things easier for beginners, but I can't help feeling a bit sad that classics like Chaos Black, Snakebite Leather and Mithril Silver are no more. Sad

Also, it seems like the numbering of the paints and paint types in their paint guides mandate a very specific method of painting. I guess the Citadel Politruks have developed a 6 Paint Plan for the benefit of all hobbyists in all countries (except Australia where everything is incredibly expensive). Razz
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04 2012, 00:05

From what I've seen from the giant paint article in White Dwarf, I'm actually pretty excited for the new paints, the shades look very nice and the multiple layer paints look great ( I'm not much of a painter, so anything to make it easier I am good for).

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04 2012, 01:55

Seeing that they haven't ditched any of my DE paints and even added a few makes Marquis a happy Archon.
Adding all the new paints will definitely make my job easier cuss I love to paint but am not very adept at it at all. Hope to get some soon.

KnightSeerValkia
Kabalite Warrior
KnightSeerValkia

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04 2012, 02:00

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to try out Kantor Blue as yet, because according to GW's conversion chart it is the best match to Necron Abyss in the range? I've been into my GW and they only have very few of the paints available atm, which don't include LKantor Blue (or any of the new pinks for that matter =s).

I ask because I was aiming to use Necron Abyss as a main colour on either my Kabal or Cult units and love that shade of blue.

And when the pistol goes off it sparks and you're ready for surgery..Surgery~

Cavash wrote:
I wouldn't send anybody to kill you, I'm not that sort of DEldar... if I wanted you dead I'd do it myself! Very Happy 

New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 Hiddenlibrary2nd-1
Back to top Go down
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 21:57

The color conversions are not all exact, probably due to the new formulation/supplier issues. Kantor Blue is somewhat more saturated than Necron Abyss.

I'm rather glad I put off painting any of may Space Marines, because Snot Green's replacement, Warpstone glow, is a bit brighter. It's still very much within the band of "the shade of green I want for my Space Marines," but it would have resulted in slight tone differences between miniatures that would have driven me crazy.

Xereus Purple is a bit brighter than Lych Purple was, and with the new Naggaroth Night base and Genestealer Purple layer, purples will be much easier. I haven't yet tried the new Druchii Violet shade to see if it differs from Leviathan Purple wash.

I was also pleased to find that a number of colors that have been made into base paints are pretty much a perfect match, notably Caliban Green (Dark Angels Green) and Warplock Bronxe (Tin Bitz).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New GW Paint Range Discussion   New GW Paint Range Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New GW Paint Range Discussion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2