THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions

Go down 
+2
Archon
jkendle88
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jkendle88
Slave

Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions Empty
PostSubject: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 07 2012, 16:40

I haven't been involved in this game for about the last 10 years, i sold off everything that I had due to financial issues. I am at a place now where I can seriously try to get back into the game (i know it is not a cheap hobby).

First i want to say that I love the new DE plastic models, especially wyches, I am mainly curious if a wych cult army can still wreck battlefields like it used to?

Idk if this is where I am supposed to post this I am new here please let me know if it needs to go somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 07 2012, 21:21

A Wych Cult army is certainly viable in the current edition. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2012, 03:10

I will also note, that though it is certainly viable it isn't quite what the Wych Cult of 4th was, nor the Cult of 5th under the old dex. In my opinion it wrecks face less in assault but tends to have easier and better shooting support options.

The big shift is that you're now mostly using grenades as anti-mech as opposed to blasters which changes up things a lot. Also, Lelith is no longer viable or functional as the leader for competitive play (and, indeed, the most competitive option is to have your Cult led by Haems...)

Still, overall, it is a top mid tier army or a low high tier army and is certainly functional.
Back to top Go down
The New AIDS
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2012, 05:48

You can do what I do and not use haems BECAUSE THEY AREN'T PRETTY, and just roll them without. They dealt with not having feel no pain before, the can do it now.

Also, Sliscus is a good leader for wych cults as he has a nice ability that let's you roll for drugs twice and pick what you want.

I do, however, use warriors, as my army is built around Ducky slicco rather than the other way round. Not that it's a corsair army. My sliscus has a different name and fluff (I just borrow his rules).
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2012, 08:05

In my humble opinion the new codex is (and I'll borrow a term here) a dartboard codex. Meaning that you can take whatever the hell you like (keeping AT/AI in balance ofcourse).

So if you would want a pure Wych cult you'll be in danger of going too much AI. What can you do?

- Reaver Jetbikes are perfectly fine in cults. Take 3 squads of 3 bikes, slap some blasters or heatlances on them and you've got some nice tankhunters.
Note: Ofcourse if your fine with taking Ravagers in your cult you could go with those... They make better tankhunters than Reavers, although you shouldn't count on only DL's to take down AV14 tanks.

- Haywire grenades. I never leave my girls without them because I always seem to be charged by walkers. But in a cult army I think they are even more a necessity.
Note: If your AT's main focus is the haywire 'nades then IMHO it's necessary to run the girls in small squads of 5 in Venoms. Always set things up ready to charge after opening tins, or they'll be cut out in the open. And as you must know, the ladies do not fare well against shooting.

- As for the heamies. I understand this remark from a tactical point of view (FnP on your girls is nice).... But... They are per definition nót cult. They're coven. So it's what you want really.

- As for Sliscus. Again, fluffwise IMHO he's kabal and nót cult. But 2 D6 on your drugroll is nice in your junky cult. So if you're fine with that, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Xasper
Slave
Xasper

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15 2012, 21:59

Wych cults are awesome. They're fun to play and also quite effective killing machines, and I think they're pretty versatile aswell. The only thing that gives me serious trouble are green tides and swarms of Nids.
I don't really like the idea of Haemonculi in a cult either, mostly because it simply does not really fit in fluff wise. The pain token is nice though, but you loose fleet, which really can make the difference from being shot up out in the open or slaugthering the enemy in an assault.
But anyway the DE is an excellent army choice, so congrats Smile. I especially like how there is a lot of totally different builds that all can be effective. Other armies, like the Tau for instance, lack this and only really have one viable build Sad.
Good luck with your cult!

Last edited by Xasper on Wed May 16 2012, 11:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions   Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginner to 40k a couple DE questions
Page 1 of 1