THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! Empty
PostSubject: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 21:46

I am playing in a 2000 point tournament this Saturday, and it will be my first. As I am inexperienced with both tournament play and 2000 point lists in general, I'm soliciting advice on both. Thanks in advance for any help you give!

I am sorry I can't give detailed context for the tournament. It's at the game store that I am starting to frequent, and is part of a series of prep tourneys for an event in August. It allows for unpainted models and "reasonable proxies". My metagame call would be "power armor": Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Blood Angels. Not too much xenos, or even Imperial Guard. My plan then is to weight my units towards killing Marines effectively, while leaving me enough outs for other matchups. After that, it's to have fun- I have no real expectation of winning, so I want an army I can gain experience with in a fun way. Here's what I have, with the options laid out:

[1x] Archon [Agonizer, Shadow Field, PGL]

[1x] Haemonculus [Liquifier, Venom Blade]

[1x] 8 Incubi
Raider [Flickerfield, Dark Lance]

[2x] 4 Trueborn [4 Blaster]
Venom [2 Splinter Cannon]

[2x] 4 Wyches [HWG, Shardnet]
Hekatrix [Agonizer]
Venom [2 Splinter Cannon]

[2x] 5 Warrior [Blaster]
Raider [Flickerfield, Dark Lance]

[2x] Ravager [3 Dark Lance, Flickerfield, Night Shields]

[1x] Razorwing [2 Dark Lance, Flickerfield, Night Shields, 4 Monoscythe Missiles]

[Total: 1807]

The Incubi, with support from the Archon and Haemonculus, form the main threat. They ride up the enemy's center and crush face. The Wyches and Blasterborn look for Predators and Dreadnoughts to kill- the Wyches also get to stall any enemy units with power weapons. The Warrior Raiders hang back, working with the Ravagers to bust transports. The Razorwing will either alpha strike if there are good early targets or else Deep Strike to ensure a missile barrage.

Now, I have 190 points left over for something. Here's what I have in spare models-

-6 Reaver Jetbikes (2 special weapons)
-10 Scourges (4 special weapons)
-17 Warriors (plenty of special weapons, no transport!)
-8 Mandrakes (the old models, so they could easily count as Wracks...with no transport)
-1 Haemonculus
-Drazhar (If I wanted a Klaivex!)
-1 Beastmaster and 5 Khymerae

I have also considered counting my Archon as Asdrubael Vect or Lady Malys to really make a super unit, but I am less than enthused as of now.

I've put everything I have learned from this forum and the excellent off-site articles written by a certain forum member into the list, but my indecision has gotten the better of me. I have a lot of random models from a long time ago that I rarely use in smaller point games, so I want some criticism before I make my choice. Let me know what you think!
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 00:27

Hey, I'm bumping this just because the tournament is tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 00:41

Well, I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I'll give you some advice as it is better than none. The list itself looks pretty solid overall but just note that that incubi unit won't even make it past first turn. That deathstar will be shot out of the sky faster than you can think as it is a massive threat to meq. That's why I would never consider taking it. As for things to add on, from your list I would add two units of scourges probably, in keeping with redundancy and probably arm them with HWB, but that's personal preference. Obviously that will bust the points limit but you could tone down the incubi and i would ditch the haemy ad well probably. Hope that helps and good luck! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 09:00

It does help, Lord! Smile I don’t want to take out the Incubi, though. I have a fondness for Incubi that is inconsistent with what better people than me rate them in battlefield effectiveness. I’ve tried to cover their grenade weakness with an Archon and their tendency to draw fire with a Pain Token. The reliance on the transport being intact..is harder. I would reserve them and the Wyches if I’m going second, then they can enter at the best point and turbo-boost to where they need to be (or assault, if the opponent dropped some dudes in my deployment zone, the jerk). That way the enemy’s anti-tank will be weakened, and the Incubi can come in for the sweep.

With that plan in mind, I’m going to take your advice to the letter. Dropping the Haemonculus makes sense, as there is less need for a starting Pain Token. Dropping one Incubus gives me enough for Scourges and Haywire Blasters, and I can even give the Incubi Raider Aethersails in case they need an extra boost coming in from reserve.

That will be what I’m taking to battle, in 6 hours. I’ll report how it all pans out. No plan survives contact with the enemy, after all!
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 14:50

drop the incubi down to about 5, then add more troops, you need them
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 15:17

Shadows Revenge wrote:

This was pretty much what my advice was going to be.

Although, I find that Reavers and Scourges can be fun, just for the potential carnage.
Back to top Go down
Godreas
Hellion
Godreas

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 18:43

Shadows Revenge wrote:

+1

and if you think you are lacking the extra AT/AI then combo of 3 reavers with a heat lance and fly over squishy stuff
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeMon May 14 2012, 21:43

As promised, here are the results!

Round 1 vs. Dark Angels Deathwing

A confusing and heartbreaking round. Kill points were the primary objective, and I was up against 6 squads of Terminators, Belial, and two Dreads. My opponent reserved everything and walked it all onto the table. I had two turns to fly around in my ships before he got 3/4 of his squads in one turn and started shooting missile launchers and lascannons. There were good moves on both sides, but in the end 3+ invulnerable saves are really good- my command squad charged his half-strength command squad and were crushed. The final score was 8-4 for him at the end of Turn 5. 0-1.

Round 2 vs. Imperial Guard

Spearhead deployment with objectives as the primary...objective. He was meched up- 4 Chimeras, 2 Banewolves, a Manticore, 2 Valkyries, heavy weapons team, psykers...the bane of all eldar. I reserved my Scourges and Razorwing to hit when the transports were blown. Then he seized initiative. 4 skimmers fell the first turn, and as I saw the game ending quickly, I boosted my command squad 30"+ into his deployment zone. The second turn saw the rest of ships blown up. I multi-assaulted his backfield squads, got the Pain Token, and conceded. I'm not sure I could have won- a Turn 1 multi-assault with Wyches might have popped enough Chimeras to get the ball rolling, but he seemed a competent enough player to recover. As a note, all of my opponents were friendly and courteous. 0-2

Round 3 vs. Space Wolves

Dawn of War, table quarters. A more casual matchup- He started with a Land Raider with Wolf Guard and Logan Grimnar, and a Rhino with Grey Hunters. I had 2 Raiders with Warriors. Turn 1 a Dreanought Drop Pods in and fails to kill anything- my two squads jet behind him, disembark, and immobilize it. That turn defined the game, as he brought his reserves opposite the flank where my guys disembarked, and I did the same to avoid the functioning guns of the Dread covereing a good bit of my table edge. I spent much of the early turns hammering some Long Fangs inside of a Razorback and moving reserves up. The Incubi unit really cleaned house here, slaughtering anything caught outside of a transport (save for his command squad- I learned my lesson and poured fire into that one!). The game ended 3-1 on quarters, as Logan Grimnar and his last Terminator held one of his while the Incubi outpriced his other, and I neatly held both on my side. 1-2.

Post-tournament analysis...is difficult. I lost two bad matchups, but I feel I could have won the first with a bit more caution. I won the last one handily, and it was partially because I had this super-unit running around that could sweep in one turn. Here's the unit by unit breakdown-

Archon- I love the Blaster Archon, but Incubi are not the place for him. He twice shot a vehicle that was close, then he would assault it while the Incubi multi-assaulted something else- without ever needing his grenades. Awkward. His real home might be with a Wych squad.
Incubi- Great at killing Grey Hunters! Useless against Guard, and not good enough against Storm Shields. If I'm at a big event, these will probably have to become Blasterborn just to have one more unit against Mech.
Trueborn- Masters of the "emergency disembark into terrain" maneuver, they did well.
Wyches- Haywires did some work, and both squads charging the same Termy squad managed to get results. I might need two squads of 10.
Warriors- 1 Dark Lance > Land Raider
Scourges- Really bad, but drew a stupid amount of fire. I don't know why. I am going to follow the general forum consensus and swap these out for Warriors in Raiders to cap out my Troops.
Ravagers- Worth it
Razorwing- I'm going back to Disintegrators, and leaving all of the AT to the Ravagers.

That's all folks!
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeMon May 14 2012, 22:08

Those first two games were unfortunate.
Dark Angels Deathwing Terminators are the biggest annoyance I have faced. I too have a Blaster Archon. Mine is equipped with a Huskblade and I was amazed once when he took down Belial and his squad by himself. He is a fun model to have.
I feel sorry for you having all of those deep striking Termies, though.

With the Guard, facing that many vehicles is horrible, especially without the initiative.

Congratulations on your game against Space Wolves!

I hope you enjoyed it. Better luck next time.
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitimeMon May 14 2012, 22:57

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!   Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me finish the 2000 point list for my first tournament ever!
Page 1 of 1