THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Seelenberührer
Hellion

Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose Empty
PostSubject: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2012, 14:08

(okay, right forum this time...)

Here is my plog, to chronicle the growth of my army. Since I paint at literally sloth-like speeds, it oculd be a while between updates.

Anyway, so the first test model is almost finished. It's still WIP, but the armour and splinter weapon are done. I still need to do some detailing, some highlights on the loincloth thing, etc. Anyway, without further ado:

Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose Img_0511

I think I need to change the eye colour and the chemical tube thing to be a cooler green like the gun. Also, I'm not quite sold on the brass colour for the bulby thing on the gun (is that a power source? ammo clip?) - it's sort of a little too similar to the armour highlights.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what colour I want to do the great big spike on his shoulder. Something tells me that a metallic colour won't work. But a non-metallic colour will probably look cartoony at worst, or power-weapony at best. I'd originally had thoughts of doing it a bone colour, but it will be a challenge (for me) coming up with a way of layering up to a bone colour where the darker steps don't clash with the "red" and "green" - two major colours is enough!

I'm going to do another test model using a white undercoat, in the hope that it might produce slightly more of a subtle "glow" from underneath, allowing slightly more subtle highlights.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this. I was surprised at how much it came together only with the final highlight. Right up until then, I was all "oh my god, this looks terrible! why do i SUCK at painting?!", and then suddenly with that last little bit it all made sense. There's definitely room for improvement - some of the lines are a little messy, and I need more practice to get a sense of exactly how much, and where, the edge highlighting should be done - but I'm pretty happy with the colour scheme and, more importantly, the process of getting there: this was a fun miniature to paint.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2012, 16:16

I like it Twisted Evil I think that the brassy bulb-thingy could work if you washed the brass with something that mutes the color a bit. You might try watering down Incubi Darkness and mixing it with Devlan Mud(or whatever they're calling brown wash these days). I use a similar mixture to dull down the Blighted Gold color(P3 paints) that I use to mute the color a bit.

I think that you're off to a great start! Keep it up Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
wilku
Archon's Challenge HQ Winner
Archon's Challenge HQ Winner

PostSubject: Re: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2012, 16:21

a promising model it is Smile
just like Evil Space Elves said - wash the brass, and I'd add shading / washing to the cloth between his legs.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2012, 16:22

I like it. I don't think the highlights need to be subtle - that's the point - and the green of the eyes seems fine too, though some go for the bright glowing look.

Have you considered doing the spike like the gun? That's the first idea that comes to mind for me, if you want to avoid metallics and over-cluttering.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2012, 22:54

Pretty pretty.
Yeah I'd go with the eyes the same colour as the gun highlights, same for the spike, like you said too many colours detracts from a uniform look for models. as for the flayed skin loincloth, i do them with tallarn flesh, gryphonne sepia wash (heavy) and then tallarn flesh and dheneb stone to highlight. Sorry they're all in old colour money, but I've not replaced them yet.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose   Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seele's Kabal of the Obsidian Rose
Page 1 of 1