THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tabletop Commorragh

Go down 
+8
Beriadan
mot666
Chaeril
Gobsmakked
The_Burning_Eye
Foo
Enfernux
wilku
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wilku
Archon's Challenge HQ Winner

Tabletop Commorragh Empty
PostSubject: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 12:16

OK, so I have this insane idea:
There are so few drawings of Commorragh in the Codex and/or BRB, that I've decided to make some of my own artwork of The Dark City. Then I realized, that drawings are not what I can/like/need to do, and decided to go straight for the gaming terrain.

I have a few ideas of my own, I've seen and outstanding Craftworld tabletop pictures from Italian Games Day, so I think I am able to do it really well.

I had to find materials to begin with.
These will of course be: paper, cardboard, hips (polistyrene), wood, resins and... anything that fits actually Wink

So the first "buildings" will be:

The Pit / The Arena:
Tabletop Commorragh 7655626046_d79572dd74

Tabletop Commorragh 7655625900_ea48def65f

A generic tower with a Landing Pad:
Tabletop Commorragh 7655625740_91f3ec0980

All the parts come from... an old clutch to my Suzuki Vitara X-90 Wink They will be of course fixed to more elemnts like walls, balconies, etc., but I wanted to show you the beginning of the process.

Any feedback is highly appreciated - especially new ideas and materials suggestions.

Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 12:33

thumbs-up on that. Didnt think a suzuki would be of any other use than to crash it...

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 19:20

I'm interested to see where you go with this!

Enfernux wrote:
thumbs-up on that. Didnt think a suzuki would be of any other use than to crash it...
Apparently, Suzuki has been making fully-functional automobiles for decades now.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27 2012, 22:46

very creative, it's very much a case of seeing the potential in something to come up with very cool and original scenery. I'm thinking of making some dragon-scale towers with some off-cuts from a window blind i got a few weeks ago when doing some DIY.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30 2012, 21:56

so, after an afternoon of cleaning the clutch parts I've decided to "go live" and start the tower. I want it to be quite high, as buildings in Commorragh, but not really Commorragh-scale high as I still want to use it on my tabletop.
At first I wanted to use a paper tube from kitchen paper towels as the basis, but I decided it's too weak, and I choose an empty spray can:
Tabletop Commorragh 7679328840_5a165b4815
(sorry, the model is upside down - the glue is drying)

the next part was to make it more Commorragh like, so I added "engaged columns" with sharp shapes made of cardboard (not glued yet)

Tabletop Commorragh 7679329282_ecbeb4320f

again - upside down. an upright shot will come once it's glued and dry

So now it's cool and nice, but still impractical - I'll make a base for it, and I have to figure out one thing.
it is a landing pad, raiders/venoms land there, and the Commorraghians (?) disembark and... have nowhere to go. Need to think of a bridge, or a staircase down, or a lift or something so that the landing pad actually makes sense... any hints?

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30 2012, 22:46

Stick a manhole in the middle and pretend there's a lift inside tongue
Seriously though, that's starting to look very cool indeed, I'm dead jealous

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31 2012, 18:55

So the next stage looks like this:
Tabletop Commorragh 7685545816_777c215733

From the top (with Raider for scale):
Tabletop Commorragh 7685546116_091760c398

Tabletop Commorragh 7685545526_5ba1ff93a4

The next step will be adding a base.
Then it will be entrance door (bottom), some decorations, and then painting.

I know it probably becomes boring, but posting pictures daily here makes me more motivated Wink

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31 2012, 21:28

Not boring at all Wilku, I wish there were more terrain threads.

This looks like it will be a great piece. I do wonder about the weight, but that's mostly just a transportation issue.

Keep the pics coming!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31 2012, 22:01

Thanks for the feedback and motivation Wink

Currently it's 0,9 kg (ca. 2lbs), but I don't plan to transport it - when I play casually I usually host the game at home, and when I go to a tournament I don't need my terrain.

If you are interested in some specific terrain - let me know, maybe you'll inspire me and I'll make a stage by stage like here.

Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2012, 12:58

That's looking pretty evocative of Dark Eldar architecture. Impressive! For some reason I'd assumed the clutch pad was going to be the base.
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2012, 13:24

you could make a idunowhatsitcalled see through plastic circle thing with the same see through rods on which you can place those raiders, like the center of the spyre was the lift and the raiders would be parking next to the edge, awaiting liftoff.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2012, 14:20

Foo wrote:
That's looking pretty evocative of Dark Eldar architecture. Impressive! For some reason I'd assumed the clutch pad was going to be the base.

maybe because of those pictures I posted upside down...

Enfernux wrote:
you could make a idunowhatsitcalled see through plastic circle thing with the same see through rods on which you can place those raiders, like the center of the spyre was the lift and the raiders would be parking next to the edge, awaiting liftoff.
I was thinking about a similar thing - a levitating platform (I've got, like... 30 HDD disks laying around - they're nice, shiny, and dark)... I don't have a transparent plastic available now, so I will have to figure out how to do it - maybe some fake smoke (that looks like from liquid nitrogene), but I don't know ow to do it yet.

Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2012, 17:13

Pretty cool! I'll just stick to the sandbag barricades of the DE victims...

Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02 2012, 13:51

No modelling update today (nor yesterday) - I'm thinking on the base for the tower. Meanwhile - on my way to work - I did some sketches to get the concept of Commorragh right. So far it's just a bit of building tops here, but I will work in this direction for some time:

Tabletop Commorragh 7697591400_f4dec8fc08

And another one on my way home
Tabletop Commorragh 7698420182_060d820daa

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03 2012, 23:08

OK, so the drawing turned out to be rather uninspiring (I have to work a lot on drawing skills and choose another painting app) and I got stuck with the project.

I've added some old RAM parts (stripped of the actual RAM chipsets - these will be used as an armor plating, pavement and / or for a bracelet in real size) to the semicolumns, so that they are not that boring, and glued the whole piece to a base.
I will add another level of the base (to create stairs), and it seems that I've run out of ideas.

Tabletop Commorragh 7706849634_ec6203c1c3

Any help on what to add here?
I've got some spare parts from Raiders/Ravagers (sails, keel blades, blades, etc.) and was thinking about adding them, but I can't figure out anything reasonable.

Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04 2012, 15:24

incredibly inspired work. love the sketches. maybe add some segmented plates to the main parts of the structure like the deldar vehicle hulls? walkways? blades/keel blades on the pointy bits?

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05 2012, 23:20

The idea with segmented plates is a really good one - I'll go for it.
I gave it a try in a most basic type (rectangles), but it's not what I actually thought It'd look like, so I've cut the corners (like on a raider). It's still not, what I want, and even painting it doesn't do the trick:

Tabletop Commorragh 7720704686_55ac8d3b42
(right bottom - the plating is basecoated and highlighted a little)

I'll get back to my project file (vector image) and look for something more eldarish. But it's a good direction, so thatnks for that.

Blades and other stuff will definitely be added, but this will be the last stage.

Slave
Beriadan

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05 2012, 23:28

That's really cool and inspiring! Keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07 2012, 22:03

ok, I'm (slowly) getting to the final stage.

I took the advice of making a segmented wall very seriously and I've spent some time trying to figure out the way to make it. I decided to use the most scientific approach I could - iteration of subsequent experiments until a a satisfying result is obtained... er... ttrial and error that is Wink

I first took some cardboard and cut it in simple rectangles. You've seen the effect. It sucks.
Next, I took some old business cards (my own, when I was a scout group leader) and designed new shapes:
Tabletop Commorragh 7735415194_32f049635f
better, but still not what I wanted. And the business card was to small. Yet I've made another two walls this way.

So I took a bigger cardboard and made a completely new set of plating. I liked it, so I prepared three sets:
Tabletop Commorragh 7735380520_4ab7b76bb1

And finally I've glued them in place and trimmed to fit the wall shape.
Tabletop Commorragh 7735380774_f2ea6c2446

Tabletop Commorragh 7735380254_dafc26b98c

They still require some putty, filing / sanding etc. but I finally got what I wanted.
Next buildings will definitely use this theme - thanks to mot666

Tips:
- use a really sharp knife whenever you have to trim something like here - along another element
- don't use too much glue - it bends paper/cardboard
- don't use paper/cardboard - it bends when glued Wink (use plasticard if you can afford it)

So it's some small modelling left and I'll start painting it soon. I'll keep you informed - wether you want it or not Wink

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 22:19

Looks like I'm loosing audience here Wink

Anyway - the boring paper cutting and clueing stuff is over. I've done some priming:
Tabletop Commorragh 7748818722_7c8585995a
Tower - Priming

and some painting
Tabletop Commorragh 7748818458_d93aab3592
Tower - Painting Stage 1
(two colour layers - liche purple and liche purple + russ grey).

Next, there will be some washing, highlights and probably some more details added.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 22:26

my biggest concern would be that the clutch plate is gonna make this really top heavy.. IIs that not a problem?
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 22:29

not at all - as I've said before - it weighs about 1kg / 2lbs (remember it's just one part of the clutch) and thanks to that it is really stable. And so I'm really not afraid to place a nicely painted raider on it.

Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10 2012, 04:08

Very nice.....can definitely work as a dark eldar bastion. And never though of using spray cans as commorite terrain

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10 2012, 04:48

well, it looks sweet..
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10 2012, 22:30

Very nice!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tabletop Commorragh   Tabletop Commorragh I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tabletop Commorragh
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next