THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Mind freaking scarabs

Go down 
+4
Siticus the Ancient
somerandomdude
Shadows Revenge
gunnerboy1607
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gunnerboy1607
Kabalite Warrior
gunnerboy1607

Mind freaking scarabs Empty
PostSubject: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 16:23

So my mate and I keep getting in an argument cause of this.

1.) can he use the mind shackle scarab every start of the assault phase? Or is it like one use?

2.) if an independent character got chosen, but the character is in the unit. Does the necron player have the choice to make the IC hit himself or does it have to resolve to the unit? (which is how I understood it, due to the wording in their codex)

3.) does the scarab replace the necron characters attacks or he also gets them?

4.) once the victim is let go from the grip of the scarab. Can he still make his attacks as if nothing happened? Or it stops from attacking even further?

Help would be great. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 16:58

1. start of every assault phase

2. he hits the squad. ICs are no longer a seperate unit when in close combat. Remember though its random with who is in base with the character with scarabs

3. He gets scarabs and his attacks

4. If he fails, he cant attack anymore. If he passes, then he may attack like normal
Back to top Go down
somerandomdude
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 21:10

Question on #2: During a Challenge, you can only strike blows against each other. Does this force an IC to attack himself? Or does the FAQ still hold true, that he attacks his unit?
Back to top Go down
gunnerboy1607
Kabalite Warrior
gunnerboy1607

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 22:45

Thanks! But wow! This war gear is soooo cheese it's cheesier than mozzarella cheese!

I think I know the answer to that one. Since your character is singled out/ in base contact of the necron character means that he does attack himself But you should prob wait for an answer from someone else and just don't take my word for it Razz
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 14:10

Yep, if the IC is the target of Mindshackles and fails his leadership, he plunges his Huskblade deeply into his own chest. This can be avoided in two ways, one being that you have to assault first, making sure that you have other models in base contact with the Scarab lord. Being the controlling player of that turn, you choose the order of the simultaneously happening Scarabs and Challenge, so you do the Challenge right after the Scarabs have done their evil deed. The other way is outfitting the transport of your beatstick squad with Grisly Trophies. With about 50% chance to instakill yourself, a reroll of the Leadership test is more than worth those measly 5 points.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 19:22

like Siticus said, in a challenge you are considered base to base, so the mindshackle can only target him. Yet whoever turn is it chooses the order of things, so like he said if you charged, you choose mindshackles to go first, then you challenge, allowing your archon to fight normally (as long as he isnt in base with the lord anyway)
Back to top Go down
gunnerboy1607
Kabalite Warrior
gunnerboy1607

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 23:01

Let's say the necrons are the one who charge (yes I know...very different Razz) that means they get to choose the order right...do you guys think it's better to refuse his challenge and be able to move your archon at the back and strike next turn, or risk it and hope your shadowfield does not let you down??
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 11:40

I'd rather take my chances with the challenge, to be honest. Losing out five-six Huskblade attacks? My Archon might as well be dead, because she makes little to no difference in that fight. Besides, not accepting the challenge is the same as accepting it, then being mindshackled - no damage output and at the very best, the Archon lives that round only to be stomped the next. I rather hope for succeeding the Leadership roll, then Shadowfield, if I fail that one.

But usually, if the Necrons charge and the Mindshackle lord is in base contact with the Archon, it means there have been several grave mistakes made along the way. Necrons really shouldn't be underestimated in close combat. You might kill them all, but what difference does it make if they all raise up at the end of the combat phase?

Which brings me to a question - what happens when an Overlord with Res orb and his entire squad die? Do they all get to roll on Reanimation or just the Lord?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 12:43

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
Which brings me to a question - what happens when an Overlord with Res orb and his entire squad die? Do they all get to roll on Reanimation or just the Lord?

Just the Lord. His Everliving rules mean he can come back but the squad is gone.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 18:16

I see. So the Lord that is about to resurrect does not count as the one model required for the squad to resurrect? I knew it sounded dodgy when I saw it, but the wording on the rules was somewhat unclear on the quick glance I made at the Necron codex.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 19:02

"Q: If an entire unit, including an attached character from a Royal
Court, is wiped out, do you get to make any Reanimation Protocol
rolls? (p29)
A: You would only get to make one roll for the attached
character as he has the Ever-living special rule. Note that in this
case, he must be placed within 3" of the counter as his unit has
been wiped out."

Necron FAQ, page 4
Back to top Go down
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 19:47

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
I'd rather take my chances with the challenge, to be honest. Losing out five-six Huskblade attacks? My Archon might as well be dead, because she makes little to no difference in that fight.

Accept it with a squad leader/sergeant/champion model instead of the Archon, see the Necron kill the sacrificial lamb like nothing, and then do the above challenge-scarabs trick in your turn. Meanwhile, the Archon can kill a Necron warrior or two.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 20:22

Thanks for the FAQ quote, Shadows Revenge. Not that up to date with FAQs of armies I don't play.

Setomidor wrote:
Accept it with a squad leader/sergeant/champion model instead of the Archon, see the Necron kill the sacrificial lamb like nothing, and then do the above challenge-scarabs trick in your turn. Meanwhile, the Archon can kill a Necron warrior or two.

Doesn't the model that was issued the challenge have to fight or sit the fight out completely at the beginning? Glorious Intervention can be done only from round two and onward.
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 20:31

If you refuse to accept with any character your oponnent can choose one of your characters, but if you accept with a character then nothing happens to the rest of your characters in that unit.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27 2012, 20:58

Champions are GOLD for that! My lone little wych champion accepted the challenge from a 2+ frost axe stormshield weilding space wolf lord on a thunderwolf, leaving asdrubeal free to wreak havoc through the rest of the unit.
Result?
his lord did 1 wound with what, 6 attacks?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mind freaking scarabs   Mind freaking scarabs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mind freaking scarabs
Page 1 of 1