THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Eldar Army Project

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Thagwel
Slave
Thagwel

Dark Eldar Army Project Empty
PostSubject: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 19:29

Good evening denizens of the Dark City!

I am fairly new to this forum, so bear with me on any technical hitches! Anyway, as you can tell by the title, this is my project log for my DE army. After spending a considerable amount of time trawling through this forum, it finally gave me the incentive and the much needed kick up the arse to unearth my (still) unfinished DE army.

The Project

So essentially, what i have so far is a single squad of Kabal Warriors, a squad of Hellions, and an Archon. Being a student, and having very little (if any at all!) money, new models aren't a priority of mine at this given time. However, that being said, i do plan on expanding my collection by adding a squad of Incubi, some Mandrakes, a Razorwing and a Pain Engine. At this moment in time it's worth mentioning that i am not planning on gaming with these miniatures at all, as i do not have the time, but instead are for painting and modelling purposes.

Anyway, here we go!:

So here is the 'Captain' (i say Captain, no idea what they're really called in DE though scratch ) and the first little tweak i've done.

Dark Eldar Army Project IMG-20110227-00062

I know it's a simple little tweak, but i'm actually quite pleased as to how it's turned out. Helps to make the model more of a centrepiece to the squad.

And then secondly the entire squad after assembly:

Dark Eldar Army Project IMG-20110301-00066

I tried to variate the poses a little, just to add a little bit of diversity to my miniatures. After all, i think we've all been through our first space marines and realised how 'samey' a squad can become.

Now, here are four of the same squad, three Kabal and the 'Captain', with the armour finished. (Apologies for the not so great picture, lighting suitable enough for decent photography is somewhat of a rarity this time of year!)

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02325

I am VERY pleased with how the armour has turned out, as it is miles better than i expected. Also, i have developed the Captain further, essentially using him as a 'tester' to make sure the colours i have chosen fit together well, especially with regards to the contrasting green and red. The fact that i'm using the centrepiece of this squad as a tester may come as a surprise to some, considering how my last two testers turned out...

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02334

Oops.

Anyhow, all joking aside, i also have a few truths to tell. I did, once upon a time, have an EXTREMELY bad tendency of spending hours, and hours on one single model. This is how i first approached these miniatures when i bought them over ten months ago, only managing to complete one single miniatures armour, this one:

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02335

Now, some of you may be wondering how it took me hours to achieve something which quite honestly, isn't of a massively high standard. Well, truth is, i just liked to try and make it as perfect in my eyes as possible. I do really like how this particular mini turned out, but after revisiting this project and hitting it really hard, i've noticed that although the paint job is similar, it is not entirely what i wanted, and so am having to re-paint it Sad

RIP

Almost there...

Here are a few extra snaps i took of other related things:

My Archon, still a WIP (clearly), again mounted upon a piece of slate. Simple snip, clip and stick jobby.

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02349

A few parts being painted separately. Just helps with getting into all those nooks and crannies y'know?

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02344

'AND FINALLY'

A cheeky preview of an idea that formulated into reality for special magnetised bases for my Hellions... Wink

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02350

And the other side...

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02352

This is where the 'magic' happens people! Wink

Dark Eldar Army Project DSC02354

Any comments or criticism will be GREATLY received on everything you have seen so far. I will try my upmost to provide daily/weekly updates on the course of my project, and to also answer any questions some of you may have! Any suggestions on a more suitable direction i should steer in wouldn't go a miss either!

Thagwel

Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 06:25

very nice, i absolutely love the color scheme. i actually have some old models that are close in color but not as detailed so they look terrible and mine have silver guns. I may redo my scheme again to black and red as i very much like the way it looks on newer models. also if possible can you send me a message or post what colors you used from gw. i have quite a few as i am painting a whole imperial guard and necron army for my friend but i would like to know how you painted them so well! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 08:52

Wow, that's some great work here! I like the colour scheme with the subtle highlights, the light glossiness actually helps the effect. I imagine you will going for bronze or golden metallics on them, correct? I look forward to seeing more from you!

Only criticism might be more of a hint - our forum has a "Project logs" section, where this thread would fit in more. Just kindly ask a mod and they will put it in the right place, I made the same mistake when starting out with my own log as well. Smile

*Kindly mod-drake swoops from the shadows and moves it Razz
ESE

scarfaced
Slave
scarfaced

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 14:15

I love the paint job on these - sometimes just black and red can look a little samey, but the green and the off-white of your 'Captain's' loincloth really makes it pop. Looking forward to seeing the finished squad! (And don't worry, I've fairly new here too, after lurking for quite a while...)
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 17:03

They look really good! I am also a fan of red armour, but can't be bothered to spend as much time on it as you do. Your extra effort really pays off. I look forward to seeing progress updates.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Archon of the shadow
Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20 2012, 18:42

this page game me inspiration. i may decide to post some pictures of my new models and hopefully they look good Shocked
Back to top Go down
Thagwel
Slave
Thagwel

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17 2013, 21:11

UPDATE:

Oh man, haven't these been a hectic two months.... Where to begin...

Well, the very least i can say is that some major life problems cropped up, and all painting was put on hold until further notice. HOWEVER. I thank you all very much for the comments, it really gives you inspiration to carry on!

Siticus, i shall get this moved to the 'Project Logs' as soon as i can, any admins you would recommend talking to? (i'm rather shy, and don't like mean people Sad ) and yes, i was planning for a rich bronze colour, as i feel gold would make them too, what's the word... Christmassy?

Archon, it pleases me greatly that you have found inspiration from my models, it is an honour, sir. Smile

Anyway, as of now, painting shall recommence at long last! Since i last posted, my ranks have swelled, introducing a shiny new Razorwing (i'm literally in love with this model) and a squad of Incubi. Pictures will follow shortly of the progress of my Kabalite and also the flying bases for my Hellions.

Magnets are currently in the post also for the missiles on my Razorwing, and yeah, that's everything for now.

More to come, very soon!

Hellion
Archon of the shadow

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19 2013, 06:22

Very nice my friend. My project log took a new spin too. I had to stop work on my army as a friend/ client of mine has me doing repair work on hundreds of tyranids: (no joke). I finished my magnetizing of a ravager too! first time ever and turned out well! Hope everything goes smoothly with the army.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Army Project   Dark Eldar Army Project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar Army Project
Page 1 of 1