THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Deep strike and aetherial use

Go down 
+2
curebdc
shadowseercB
6 posters
AuthorMessage
shadowseercB
Wych
shadowseercB

Deep strike and aetherial use Empty
PostSubject: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 05:12

Can a raider move using it aetherial sails after deep striking? It would seem to me they would be because its like a run move.
Back to top Go down
curebdc
Hellion
curebdc

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 07:26

I would say yes since its during shooting phase. Totally the same as run. A fine tactic to boot!

Edit: upon closer look, my bad!

Last edited by curebdc on Mon Feb 11 2013, 07:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 07:36

Enhanced Aethersails are actually used during the Movement phase, so that would be a no.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 09:02

Not to bend the rules here ( or maybe I am like a good little Archon Twisted Evil ), but couldnt they still be used? or do reserve moves supercede the movement phase? If reserve units come on "at the start of the movement phase" and deep striking vehicles "count as moving at cruising speed" then if you didnt like your deepstrike or scattered, couldnt you adjust the 2d6 inches for aethersails? (after resolving any potential mishap of course)

Don't have my book handy, so I dont have the exact wording. I'll check asap, but what a great tactic: deepstrike safely then aethersail behind a building!
Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 09:07

Deep Strike specifies that you may not move further that Movement phase.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 09:20

The rule in the codex is not specific, simply saying "A model with enhanced aethersails can move an additional 2d6 inches", however the normal usage of English would imply that this takes place as an addition to normal movement, ie during the movement phase. This is reinforced by the FAQ answer which says:

Quote :
Q: Can a vehicle move Flat Out in the same turn that it has used enhanced aethersails (p63)
A: Yes.

This again seems to imply that the sails movement takes place in the movement phase, hence being able to go flat out afterwards. As the rulebook says "In the Movernent phase during which they arrive, deep striking units may not move any further" In the absence of anything specific to say you can use enhanced aehersails in the shooting phase then you have to assume you can't.
Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 09:34

Also, the Enhanced Aethersails rule itself refers to 'the following Shooting phase'.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 09:57

I'm with count and dra'al on this one. That's how I've been playing it anyway.

Kudo's for the dark green pirate though for his efforts as an archon to search the loophole. Razz
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 23:08

tlronin wrote:
Kudo's for the dark green pirate though for his efforts as an archon to search the loophole. Razz

I try Smile

Now that I found my book, I read it the same as you guys. Not sure if I agree with the idea that "the book doesnt say you can so you can't"-having lived through various GW wordings and contradictory rulings/FAQ's (where necrons ignore Lucas the Tricksters last laugh but Titans don't Shocked) . Having said that I do agree with your interpretation of it Count, and that's how I would tend to play it. There is always TFG though, and having these tidbits in our bags of tricks is never a bad thing Twisted Evil

Here's a question though; can you flat out after deepstriking a transport?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12 2013, 00:11

Darkgreen Pirate wrote:
Here's a question though; can you flat out after deepstriking a transport?

Again, somewhat unclear in the rules. Deep Strike says:

Quote :
In the Movernent phase during which they arrive, deep striking units may not move any further

which does not prohibit flat out moves as these take place in the shooting phase. The rules then go on to say:

Quote :
In that turn's Shooting phase, these units can fire (or Run) as normal

Some people say that because it does not specify that you cannot flat out then you can. Others say that it specifies what you can do (fire or run) and because it doesn't also say you can go flat out then you can't.

Personally I think you can. It's not prohibited by the deep strike rules and therefore the normal vehicle movement rules apply. Would probably need a FAQ to be sure though.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep strike and aetherial use   Deep strike and aetherial use I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep strike and aetherial use
Page 1 of 1