THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Necrons?

Go down 
+10
DominicJ
Zanais
Azdrubael
senzyu
Massaen
Count Adhemar
Blutvogt
Darklight
Bibitybopitybacon
zergavas
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17 2013, 21:36

I have never played against the Necrons and was wondering how to face them on the battlefield. What are their tactics? What are there strengths? what to watch out for?
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17 2013, 22:09

Depends on what list you're facing. As always assault the shooty (warrior blobs immortals) shoot the assulty (wraiths will be what you see most). Night shields cripple necron shooting since most of it is 24' (except for the anihalation barges. Know the barge. Fear the barge. But above all kill the barge.) With flyers go to ground in cover for a 2+ covers save against their shooting.
All the advice I can think of at the moment others know the ancient enemy better than I.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18 2013, 06:46

I do not like playing Necrons at all.

My priority is to take out that Barge as said. And then I shoot whatever is on the ground and then focus on those 100 flyers...
Back to top Go down
Blutvogt
Hellion
Blutvogt

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2013, 09:26

wraiths with wip-coils are a real pain in the ass, cause they give everyone in contact I1 and of course they have there standart 3++, so try to lance them or inflict instand death in any other way.
there rest of the Necrons isn't super hard to beat, just make sure you wipe out whole squads, so you eleminate the changse, that they stand up again.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2013, 09:28

I've been having nightmares with Wraiths lately. Not because they are especially brilliant but simply that my opponent refuses to roll less than 3 whenever they need to make a damn saving throw! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2013, 09:37

Barges are actually 24" range just like most necron shooting... The doomsday ark on the other hand... Much longer range
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Blutvogt
Hellion
Blutvogt

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2013, 12:07

Count Adhemar wrote:
I've been having nightmares with Wraiths lately. Not because they are especially brilliant but simply that my opponent refuses to roll less than 3 whenever they need to make a damn saving throw! Evil or Very Mad

...that's true and on the other hand, they have sixes all the time when it come to rending, bad combination!
Back to top Go down
senzyu
Slave

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 13:47

-Obyron's deep strike every turn rule.
most people take a squad of lych guard and a Lord in that unit... Very strong. So make sure anything squishy has some CC help close by.

- I take reaper exarch with eldrad to sort out the re-animation protocol.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2013, 19:06

I can tell you several tips that will help:

1) Assault when you can. Necrons mostly not fearless and besides wraits are terrible at close combat, so they can be swept.

2) When you shoot - shoot them unit is completely dead, they have reanimation rolls, and only the most advanced models can raise when entire unit is killed.

3) Take nightshield on your vehicles, necrons mostly have limited range.

Does he have lot of flyers?
Back to top Go down
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24 2013, 20:02

Thanks for the info, think this will help alot.
Take out the doomsday ark than just hang back at 24" with my NS and shoot down squad after squad with SC. Should be simple enough Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zanais
Kabalite Warrior
Zanais

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 09:20

I ressurect this topic to ask, what list would you guys bring against this?

Imotekh

Destro Lord 2+, MSS

6x Wraiths

5x Warriors in Night Scythe

3x Anihilation Ark

Because its campain game, I have +2 to deployment, who goes first roll and reserves. He has +150 roster points.

I suppose there is nothing in our codex that can tarpit or win melee vs wraiths with des. lord, and because of my +2 to reserves getting fliers will be risky as mine fliers will come first and with 99% probability die next turn from his scythes.
Im thinking bout 3 ravagers, quad gun and few venoms. Dont know which hq would be good and how to deal with Imotekh. And is there any way to defend my ravagers from his night scythes? It can move 36" and shoot its 25" tesla destructor right?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 09:26

Best defence against Night Scythes is to get underneath them. Unlike the Helldrake they do not have a 360 fire arc so if you're behind them they can't shoot you.

As for the Lord and Wraiths, shoot the hell out of them with as much Darklight and Splinter fire as you can! Remember that it's majority T4 for the Wraith unit so Darklight will ID them. And they do not have Reanimation Protocols so once they're gone they're gone.
Back to top Go down
Zanais
Kabalite Warrior
Zanais

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 09:50

Sadly, there are wraiths waiting for me to got past those scythes. And im rather concerned about their first turn of shooting, I was thinking if its good tactic to get razorwing or two, and if I go first, enter game on turn 2 and flat out behind board edge in same turn. Than on his turn 2 his scythes come in, and later my razors come in and shoot them. Problem is less lances on board in first 2 turns.
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 10:11

Quote :
Remember that it's majority T4 for the Wraith unit so Darklight will ID them

I didnt think majority toughness came in to play for ID purposes?

S6 will ID an Archon, even if he is in a Grot unit, wont it?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 10:18

DominicJ wrote:
Quote :
Remember that it's majority T4 for the Wraith unit so Darklight will ID them

I didnt think majority toughness came in to play for ID purposes?

Correct. I didn't word my comment very well. I just meant to say that having a T6 Lord in there doesn't alter the Wraiths T and they can still be instant deathed.
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 12:35

Wyches will tarpit a destroyer lord. I did it last week. He only has 3 attacks hitting on 4s, so slightly better than 1.5 hits per round (accounting for preferred enemy), should wound with the hits, and you'll save half due to the 4++ dodge save. Factoring in the wraiths could be a bit trickier though. I'd probably just batter them with splinter fire, to be perfectly honest. Dark lances if he puts the lord at the front to try and soak up the incoming fire. Speed is your friend; you can run rings around them but you can't do so reliably until all the Necron stuff turns up.

Also, unless its kill points, go second. You can set up out of his range, his fliers will then be more likely to come on first, and you can have the last word because those warriors will have to hop out of the space-pastries to claim an objective, and you'll be guaranteed a shooting phase to make them suffer a critical existence failure.
Back to top Go down
Glamhadril
Slave

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 13:20

dark eldar do have a unit that trumps wraiths in assault.
a well kitted out beast squad will tear through a wraith unit. if you charge with 10 kymerea,6 razorwing flock
with splinter pods added in, you kill 3 wraiths and lose 2.5 khymerea and a beastmaster therefore you kill them comfortably in 4 rounds of combat.

back to the original question against a list like that your best bet is to get a bastion with a quadgun so you can keep firing all game at his flyers(killing 2-3) apart from that i really have nothing to add.

roferl
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:06

Wraiths are nasty, but they are only marginally better than a wych squad, wych will tarpit them forever.

Dont get me wrong, they are a serious pain, and a destroyer lord leading 6 wraiths, or even two lords leading 12, is a pain of monumental proportions Smile, but we can survive them better than most
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:10

Glamhadril wrote:
a well kitted out beast squad will tear through a wraith unit. if you charge with 10 kymerea,6 razorwing flock
with splinter pods added in, you kill 3 wraiths and lose 2.5 khymerea and a beastmaster therefore you kill them comfortably in 4 rounds of combat.

I've not done the mathhammer but I'd be surprised if the beast unit was a match for a decent Wraith/Destoyer unit. Even if you get the charge and hit them without having taken any casualties the Necrons hit first due to Whip Coils and everything they do is ID as they are all S6 or more.

Quote :
back to the original question against a list like that your best bet is to get a bastion with a quadgun so you can keep firing all game at his flyers(killing 2-3) apart from that i really have nothing to add.

You can bet that the first thing the Annihilation Barges target will be your quadgun.
Back to top Go down
Glamhadril
Slave

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:37

Count Adhemar wrote:
Glamhadril wrote:

I've not done the mathhammer but I'd be surprised if the beast unit was a match for a decent Wraith/Destoyer unit. Even if you get the charge and hit them without having taken any casualties the Necrons hit first due to Whip Coils and everything they do is ID as they are all S6 or more.

Quote :

You can bet that the first thing the Annihilation Barges target will be your quadgun.

actually beast works surprisingly well. razorwing flock being I5 you can completely avoid having the flocks targetted in the combat. on top of that wraiths are only slightly more survivable than assault marines to beasts. so doing the mathhammer the wraiths die during the 3rd round of combat (first round 3 die, 2nd round 2, 3rd round the last guy drops) and the destroyer lord goes round 4, in return you can expect to lose 4-5 khymerea and 3 beastmasters. so it is actually quite a favourable match up

secondly that's the point of putting a quadgun on a bastion it can't get targetted, the only way to destroy it is to destroy the bastion( something necrons suck at)
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:39

Not true on the quad gun on top the bastion, check the latest FAQ. It states that it can be targeted using the battle field debris stats and it can be destroyed via building damage results
Back to top Go down
Glamhadril
Slave

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 14:48

cheers sorry i missed that i haven't checked the FAQ's for a while
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 15:07

Glamhadril wrote:
actually beast works surprisingly well. razorwing flock being I5 you can completely avoid having the flocks targetted in the combat. on top of that wraiths are only slightly more survivable than assault marines to beasts. so doing the mathhammer the wraiths die during the 3rd round of combat (first round 3 die, 2nd round 2, 3rd round the last guy drops) and the destroyer lord goes round 4, in return you can expect to lose 4-5 khymerea and 3 beastmasters. so it is actually quite a favourable match up

Just did some quick mathhmmer and yes, it looks more favorable than I first thought. First round goes heavily in our favour if we can avoid having any razorwings in b2b but after that it does seem to go slightly downhill and I think we'd start losing razorwing flocks when they're forced to pile in to b2b at the end of each round when gaps are created by dead khymerae. Being able to take the Destoyer Lord out of the fight with challenges from Beastmasters also swings it in our favour.
Back to top Go down
Zanais
Kabalite Warrior
Zanais

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 17:01

Ye beasts look quite nice, but how they survive vs so many tesla shots? Its ID for razorwings. Baron with beasts in terrain would give at best 4+ cover.
Back to top Go down
Glamhadril
Slave

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 22:06

sure tesla hurts a lot but if you think about it the amount of tesla needed to effectively silence a beast squad would also kill all your ravagers and half your raiders/venoms.

also in regards to razorwing flock getting in btb with wraiths. it is usually avoidable. due to razorwing having a lower I than the rest of your squad they pile in last. and since the khymerea die after razorwing flock attack you can usually fill the gags before razorwing pile in, also bear in mind that the squad of wraiths is shrinking and as such won't be hard to keep surrounded with khymerea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Necrons?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necrons?    Necrons?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Necrons?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next