THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help with Necrons

Go down 
+6
Massaen
Caldria
Skari
thecactusman17
vect
Dragoon13833
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 15:50

I recently started a dark eldar army and need some advice on what units would be best to buy. I normally play against a necron army with a doomsday barge, imhotek, annialaton barge and praetorians or a grey knight army with draigo, paladins, terminators, dreadknights and a land raider. I currently have

Lelith Hesparax

10 wyches

raider

venom

5 hellions

5 scourges

I like to try and take the fight to the opponent with the wyches / lelith while the scourges target enemy vehicles with a blaster / haywire blaster. What units / tactics would be best for me to use to try and win a few games against these armies. Thanks for any advice.
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 18:48

ouch i dont pity u havin to play grey knights thats jus plain bad luck u have 2 options u play for fun then u buy wat ever u like the look of and go with the flow on the other hand u can play 2 win which is my preffered method as dark eldar can table people and theirs no better feeling than that when it comes 2 combat dark eldar arent that gd really poor saves and T3 means they wont last long u have 2 pick ur targets very carefully so that u win in 2 turns rather then drag it out

if u wana play 2 win then this is the list for you

HQ
vect (i use baron but ill be goin back to vect shortly)

Elites
trueborn x4
blaster x4
venom
extra splinter canon

x3 of thee units

troops
wyches x9
hekatrix with agoniser
haywire grenades
raider
flickerfield

wyches x5
hekatrix agoniser
hydra gauntlet
venom
extra splinter canon
x2 units

FA
beast masters x5
khymeara x10
razor wings x6

HS
ravager
night sheild flickerfeild
x3 of these

hows dark eldar work (and this list in general)
dark eldar are deceptively shooty and are a shooting army so if u want CC u shud really be playing orks or tyranids if u really wana get stuck in proper

the ravagers sit at the back and pick off tanks land raiders etc etc
beast masters run foreward to create a distracion or sheild the truborn as these will be goin foreward to blow up tanks at the front or pick of dread noughts
the splinter canons as their are alot will focus fire on an troops that arent in tanks starting with devastators MC etc etc
being able to plan a turn and play with the next turn in mind also being able to instantly recognize any threat in every army helps but this ull learn with more practice and experience

thats it really
1 kill devastators
2 destroy transports
3 destroy landraiders

the hardest thing is learning how to survive and when to strike bcoz if u make a mistake with dark eldar u wont last very long thats not 2 put u off their jus not a very forgiving army

as for the armies above ull win in this order
necrons
1 preatorians kill these first u have longer range than necrons and u can use the night fighting to keep ur units alive
2 then destroy the barges their open topped and not that gd REMEMBER THAT U CAN RE-ROLL NIGHT FIGHTING
3 finish off imotek and his unit ( if he gets lucky with his 6's for lightning take them out first)

grey knights
1 destroy landraider
2 kill dreadnought
3 kill terminators
4 then focus on draigo and his paladins
Back to top Go down
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 21:31

Thanks for the advice, I may get a battle force and a venom as that will give me a 2nd unit of wyches with a raider and two units of blasterborn. And is Vect really that useful at 240 points? if i use him should i use the dias or just put him in a normal raider?
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 22:38

hell yea have u seen his stats in combat hell kill most 10 man marine squads by himself dark eldar require skill and nerve to play so grab em and go for it lol as long as u can open up the transports hell chew thru everything else

Edited for language. Gobsmakked.
Back to top Go down
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 23:02

Yeah? i normally dont use expensive characters (over 200 points) but whats the best way of converting him? could sauron from the lotr work? or would i be better off with something like vlad von carstien as a starting point?
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04 2012, 23:55

jus use an archon model thats wat i did u need vect or the baron depending on wat route u go vect gives u a 4+ to steal the I so its amazing for dark eldar
Back to top Go down
thecactusman17
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 07:08

Vect is an incredibly cost efficient close combat monster, capable of killing many excellent units all by himself. He's an excellent choice for killing Terminators and MCs, or killing that extra IC before the rest of your unit makes their attacks. However, he is nearly useless vs. vehicles.

The 4+ Seize is a blessing and a curse. You always know to expect first turn if your really need it, and your opppnent always knows to expect it to disappear.

The Dais isn't worthless all by itself, it's just worthless by comparison to the other skimmer units. If you are looking for a decent 200 point fill and you are all out of troop transports and heavies, it's not the worst choice for some extra anti-tank firepower. Just don't expect it to survive long if your opponent decides it's a threat. Also, be aware of its limitaions: no upgrades, can only fire all weapons if at combat speed or less, and you MUST start Vect and a 9-model unit right here.

Necrons are killed easiest in assault, and that goes for both their infantry and their tanks. Hit their lines with Vect and the Wyches, kitted with Haywire. You will ignore the high armor entirely and possibly knock it back down to AV11 for your other units. If the lances damage the barges or Arks, direct your attacks against Imhotek's unit and stick into it for a turn or two so that you can't get hit by lightening. Look at pre-positioning your transports (including facing) at or near their ultimate destination so that if you are struck by lightening, they can still function if only immobilized or their occupants can get out of the wreck and complete mission goals.

DO NOT POINT FILL. If it's not something that will probably come into play every turn it can be used, it's not an upgrade worth taking. Haywire are an exception to this rule, as they make every unit on the board a reasonable assault target for equipped models.
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 19:58

but u wudnt take the dias coz it sucks its jus fluff

lol thats pretty obvious a necrons suck in combat it doesnt really help lol

wat dont point fill u gotta look beyond the cost and look for the benefit to the unit or the unit to the army

Back to top Go down
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 20:34

thanks for all the advice, il defiantly give vect a try, what about advice against grey knights?
Back to top Go down
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 00:28

just found out the game against necrons is 2700 points and he is bringing a monolith, what would be higher priority that or a doomsday ark, plus would a voidraven be effective against necrons with the void lances and would a unit of 4 incubi with no upgrades in a venom be a useful bodyguard for vect?
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 03:51

A monolith dies just as easily as a land raider (they are no longer immune to lances) You should have enough firepower to take out both, the doomsday arc should be second priority, if you spread out enough it should not be killing too many things, and if it hits a tank head on you should have cover/flicker to mitigate the damage.

I would recommend against running incubi with vect. Why? Simply because of the lack of a phantasm grenade launcher that will assist the incubi. Venom tho is a great idea as it is easy to hide and already comes with the ff. Also venoms are awesome. As a retinue a unit of bloodbrides for killing power, or wracks for the T4 and pain token.

Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 13:49

i allready posted a 4 step stratagy in my original post for grey knights this wont really change between different GK lists in general

the thing 2 remember is u have a longer range than he does so use that to ur advantage and jus practice practice and more practice and ull get better
Back to top Go down
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 23:38

sorry had not noticed the grey knights advice at time of posting, i am toying with a list using wracks / trueborn / incubi in venoms with two splinter cannons as shock troops and warriors / wyches in raiders to hold objectives or tie up enemy troops. This would be led by Vect and some incubi (ancient with the wracks and normal incubi with the trueborn) supported by ravagers, reavers, scourges and a voidraven. I like the idea of beast masters but the price of the beasts puts me off wanting them are there any other models that work effectively as razorwings?
Back to top Go down
Caldria
Kabalite Warrior
Caldria

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 00:19

Skari is correct about the incubi and vect thing. Incubi are probably best left alone. unit of 5 in a venom etc.

bloodbrides would be great with vect. with shardnets.
You could even deploy vect with the wracks for the pain token, if you really want - then have him move to join the bloodbrides. Now vect and his bloodbride retinue with shardnets have feel no pain also.

As to the beastmaster razorwings thing. I saw a thread a while ago somewhere, and the guy used the small winged tyranid things from Forgeworld, because he wanted models that werent so plain, as the actual razorwing birds are - so u could give those a look.

Hope I helped in some way
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 00:33

vect wrote:
but u wudnt take the dias coz it sucks its jus fluff

Sorry? Its not the most cost effective unit available due to the 200+ character and the unit you must buy as well but 3 more lances plus AV13 makes a very useful (if overpriced) assault boat.

You Flat out turn 1 with 8 wyches, haemonculus and vect.

Turn 2 you disembark and charge leaving the haemy to ward off assaults with his liquifier while moving 6" and firing the lances as you advance on an objective.

As a starting point - i think Vect is bad advice to give a starting player. He is expensive and useless vs armour.

If your running vect plus wyches/blood briodes/incubi you can leave the beasts at home - you won't need them. You will need more AT though.
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 00:36

With the razorwings it was more the price, i have 5 hellions that i plan to convert into beastmasters and wanted a cheaper way of getting some of the beasts
Back to top Go down
POwell0
Kabalite Warrior
POwell0

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 04:11

I agree with Massaen Vect is just too expensive an for a new player all those extra rules just make him a nightmare to play. I much prefer the Duke as a HQ as he makes combat drugs even better and 3+ poisoned weapoms on the squd he deploys with EPIC!! Personally against Necrons and GK i run a similar list for both
The Duke, 30-40 Wyches in Raiders depending on points, 5 Incubi in raider, 4 blasterborn and 5 trueborn with splinter weapons (3 shardcarbine, 2 splinter cannon) in venoms, and 2 razorwing jetfighters and maybe a ravager if points allow.

Lots of splinter fire from the trueborn to deal with T5 Cron and DreadKnights, Wyches and Incubi to mash things in CC

Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 16:13

chaos warhounds and bats will work from the fantasy range if u cant afforrd the proper models

and yes the dias is crap its 200pts for a vehicle that can only fire all 3 darklances when its stationary so yea for a fast moving army its pretty useless

lol bad advice i wouldnt advise any new 40k players to play dark eldar full stop bcoz ur gunna lose constantly untill u learn the roles then u gotta figure out how to win with the most unforgiving army in 40k even tau are more forgiving !!!!! but if its the army he wants to play then u give him advice as a dark eldar player rather than a new player

i think assuming that turbo boosting and eing able 2 then charge a unit is not bad advice just stupid espeially when 80% of armies are mech

blood brides and incubi waste the elite slot which is needed for trueborn with blasters

and beasts are far cheaper than any other unit and are great for harrasment and gettin a 4+ cover on venoms if u put them on small flying bases lol

ur missing the point of vect hes awesome in CC and u get turn 1 on a 4+ with dark eldar especially in tournaments if u havent won by turn 3 uv lost at worst or u cud draw if ur lucky

and vects rule are written in the codex their not complicated if u think they are complex maybe u need 2 play an army with simple rules like vanilla marines
Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 16:23

Against Grey knights eliminate the dreadknights and land raider and then dance around with your superior mobility . Only charge when you expect to win in the 2nd round. (ie so you're not left out in the open to be shot in their turn)

Necrons are tougher. 5 incubi in a venom would make short work of a squad of them in a couple of turns. Just avoid character containing ones.

You do also need a 2nd troop unit (and preferably a 3rd for objective games if it comes down to it!)I'd suggest either more wyches in a raider or a small squad of warriors with blaster/lance.

In addition Ravagers are silly-good. They are expensive models but can move 12" and still shoot all guns!

For your scourges I'd try carbines + splinter cannon OR 2 blasters for 'hop and pop' however they are extremely fragile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joerogers.info
Dragoon13833
Slave

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 20:31

thanks had a battle against necrons today, took 2 warrior squads, 2 wych squads and a wrack squad as troops and won 3-1 on objectives, incubi and ravagers proved useful against his elite squads and vehicles. Also dark eldar aren't my first 40k army i already have dark angels and tyranids. I chose dark eldar because they seem like a good army if played right and all of the models look amazing.
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 14:00

if u have nids id stick with them their anti tank is awesome VS DE

Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 15:31

Even Hive Guards don't have easy job, since we can have Inv save on vehicles... And "the rest" can't even come close because we are way faster than anything with Rending Claws/MC.

Not to mention we have field day with any MC-heavy list....
Back to top Go down
vect
Hellion

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 16:36

hive guard ignore turbo boosting its bin FAQ so it makes them even more deadly and its another reason y am changing 2 a different army lol
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 17:02

So? They don't negate Inv saves... Flickerfield give INV, not cover, m'kay?
And Turbo Boost is actually rarely useful with Aerial Assault rule.

Even outside that Nids have absolutely nothing on us.
*Maybe* Raveners are scary. They are Beasts with MTC and Rending Claws, 18" assault range (not to mention S5 spam).

But I'm ok with You starting new army.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 17:29

lol Nids and Awesome AT shouldnt even be in the same thread together

But congrats on the win against Crons. While they are the newest dex, they arent the hardest out there to beat. That being said they are highly competitive when used right, and can be a real pain for most armies to beat. We have some great things to push us ahead though, as in ingoring their high AV and having accute senses. Keep the slaves coming Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help with Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Necrons   Help with Necrons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with Necrons
Page 1 of 1