THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Is using characters from the novels rubbish?

Go down 
+2
Cavash
dino999
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dino999
Slave

Is using characters from the novels rubbish? Empty
PostSubject: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2013, 14:14

I was wondering if in your eyes using someone else's characters was downright rubbish. I have no problem coming up with my own back story and incredibly lavish characters to deal pain on the battlefield but at the same time after i read books like "Path of the Renegade" and "Path of the Incubus" I really find some characters that i would love to field in my army lists.

what say you archons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0QeiHXzLw
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrokColaPainting
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2013, 14:32

I'm not a fan of using pre-established characters. A clight passing mention of them can be alright. One of the trueborn I write about has a Splinter Cannon rumoured to have been crafted by Traevelliath Sliscuss, for example. 

I see no problem with taking aspects of a character and turning them into your own, though, as long as it's not a blatant rip off. 

This is just my opinion, though. Others may feel differently. Smile

Is using characters from the novels rubbish? YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2013, 15:55

Personally if its done well I always enjoy it. Whilst I love writing about my own characters and their exploits I sometimes think pre-established characters have a great place (why else would we have named characters in the dex?)

For example I've been contemplating recently hanging up my Kabal (the refit isn't going well) for a while and building a new army based on all our shinny new models. And what has really inspired me to do this is the desire to field an army led by
 Malixian the Mad.

So if its done well, go for it!

To rule in hell is only the begining..."

Lady No'ki Vankar, Kabal of the Poisoned Claw
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2013, 20:28

These books, as well as the eldar path trilogy, are well well written and the writers are famous GW contributors, who've worked on a lot of GW material. Their books follow the Gw fluff very closely, this whole trilogy is based a lot on our current fluff, so yeah, why not use these characters.

You've got quite a lot of material on them, a book is a lot longer than those little pieces of fluff we get in our codex. This has to be well done like like Preacher said.

People prefer going for their own guys, to shape them however they want.

If you really go through this, you need to read these books a couple of times over again, to know these characters really well, because the other dark eldar will always remember some of the aspects of these characters, if you represent them badly, you may get harassed by angry dark eldar nerds.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior
Nyx_Necrodragon

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28 2015, 16:44

I say go for it! and if anyone tells you otherwise (and there will be, mark my words) tell them to sit on it and spin. It's your army you can do what you want. People told me I couldn't design and create my own haemonculus not only did I design her I use her and nobody can tell me otherwise. I also have a converted tyranid which I painted like a Xenomorph from alien (even gave him resin saliva) and I use him as an Ur-Ghul because I don't like the models. Amazingly most people gave me grief because I used a dulled down metallic paint scheme and apparently tyranids can't pull that off, that's a load of rubbish too btw, I said 'It's my model I can paint it with neon UV rainbow paint if I want'.

So go for it and know that the Kabal of Blissful Murder will stand with you.

Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14 2015, 00:55

Basically, as long as it's do e respectfully, go for it. As long as it's not "and then my Archon made Vect kneel and cower like a chump, and as he was leaving he beat up Drazhar without breaking a sweat".
My own Kabal are early supporters of Vect, who helped him establish the dominance of the Kabal system over the Houses, and my Archon sees his Kabal, the Radiant Abyss, as fairly close "allies" with the Kabal of the Black Heart.

Just stick clear of doing anything Mary Sue, and you're good.

As for actually making an army based around the characters, that's basically what they're there for! Go ahead and make a Kabal of the White Flame, led by Yllithian, if that's the sort of thing you want to do. Personally, I love seeing people make models for Black Library characters

PostSubject: Re: Is using characters from the novels rubbish?   Is using characters from the novels rubbish? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is using characters from the novels rubbish?
Page 1 of 1