THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?

Go down 
+2
Darklight
Bozo69PD
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bozo69PD
Hellion

Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? Empty
PostSubject: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2013, 23:45

Hi, I just bought and painted 10 hellions (painted one as the Baron) because I got kind of amped up about using them as an allied detachement. Then after trying to play with them my friends and I quickly realized I had no idea how to use hit and run properly...

Also, I kept failing to drag things well with the stunclaw.

Any pro Hellion users that can give me some tips?

My main army is nurgle CSM BTW so I'm not great at working a unit with mobility
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2013, 06:39

Well, not to be to harsh or anything but Hellions are crap. Baron on the other hand is awesome. I cant tell you how to use Hellions + Baron propper as I dont play with that setup, but I play with Baron + Beastpack and that is just freaking awsome.
Back to top Go down
Bozo69PD
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2013, 10:44

But but but... Baron makes hellions troops! Sad
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2013, 14:48

baron makes hellions decent. So if you want to run them as a minimal allied detactment. Then you have a decent thing. You get your HQ and your Troop tax done and actually get something out of it.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2013, 15:11

The best use of hit and run is to maintain the +1 strength benefit they get from charging (+2 with furious charge) Your optimal use of it is to hop out of the fight on their turn, then shoot and assault something on your turn.

The Stunclaw is pretty suboptimal, and removes the main benefit of hit & run. I'd give it a pass.

Hellions are best en masse - I would say 10 is the bare minimum to field, the "best" Hellion builds are a max unit, with Baron, and also some extra pain tokens if you can swing it.
Back to top Go down
Bozo69PD
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2013, 17:13

Thanks a ton for the input, I was pretty in the dark on these guys. It seems like nobody uses them on youtube or in the circles I see (they just go all splinter shooty).
Back to top Go down
clever handle
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 04:20

Big problem with hellions is how tall they are, since they're xenos jump infantry the bottom of the model starts 1" above the table top. This makes it very difficult to claim obscured cover saves.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 06:54

I have actually bought myself Hellions now, new hellions, as I had 3 old one's.

Anyway I have seen a few Eldar players on lists playing them as Allied detachments, so I want to try it out before I rule them completley out. Even tho I try to go in to it with an open mind I must admit I dont think it will be something for me.

But they bring a few things that I really didnt consider when I first wrote my initial post here.
1) Troop choice as you said.
2) Speed
3) Poisen weapons to allied army
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 07:26

Darklight wrote:
I have actually bought myself Hellions now, new hellions, as I had 3 old one's.

Anyway I have seen a few Eldar players on lists playing them as Allied detachments, so I want to try it out before I rule them completley out. Even tho I try to go in to it with an open mind I must admit I dont think it will be something for me.

But they bring a few things that I really didnt consider when I first wrote my initial post here.
1) Troop choice as you said.
2) Speed
3) Poisen weapons to allied army

What kind of list you have in mind? Competetive or casual?
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 11:47

Competitive Smile

I wont play turnements with it tho as I will continue kicking ass with my Venomspam Smile But the list I am testing this weekend will be:

Farseer w/Jetbike

10xGuardians in Wave Serpent w/ SL
5x Dire Avengers
5x Dire Avengers
5x Dire Avengers
3x Windrider Jetbike Squad

Crimson Hunters
Crimson Hunters

3x War Walker Squadron w/2x SL
2x War Walker Squadron w/1x BL & 1x SL
1x Wraithknight

Allied FOC:
Baron Sathonyx
10x Hellions
Ravager w/Dissies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?   Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proper use of Baron + hellions as an allied detachment?
Page 1 of 1