THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment

Go down 
+4
Count Adhemar
dangerous beans
aurynn
MurDok
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment Empty
PostSubject: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 21:14

Would you consider them viable as either/or a troop or elite(?) choice for the allied attachment. The Toughness 6 with a 3+ Save looks pretty sexy, then you add-in the str 10 ap 2 shots those guys put out and now I'm head-over heels in love but the 160 points for the base seems pricey. What's the general feel about these guys from my fellow Archon's?

~ Murdok ~
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 21:33

IMHO you are adding slow element to a fast army. The earliest these guys can threaten anything is T2 or T3, low wound count. So taking them without a Wave Serpent is a waste of points. On the other hand, the Wave serpent brings interesting firepower into our list, so in this combo it can be somewhat viable. As a backfield objective sitters they seem too expensive to me.
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 01:40

Agree with everything Aurynn says - they basically suffer in the same way that our Talos do if you don't take a Wave Serpent.

If you choose to include a Spiritseer then your wraithguard/blade become Troops (and you can 'Spirit Mark' an enemy unit each turn, granting your ghost-eldar warriors a chance to re-roll any 1s to hit), so send them straight into the middle of the board to hold a crucial objective that everyones fighting over and let the T6 3+ do the talking. I personally prefer the idea of the Ghostglaive wielding guys as the 4+ invuln makes them truly survivable and a hard counter to terminators / other 2+ers, meaning that our torrent firepower and AP 2 weapons can be put elsewhere like units that'll fail more saves and enemy vehicles.

Id be very intrigued to try out a wave serpent bound unit with D-Scythes! Twisted Evil

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 11:08

I'd be curious to see how well a Wraithguard unit would work as a distraction to let a Talos or two get into assault range of the enemy. It's a tough, durable unit that can't really be ignored so the enemy has to deal with it and whilst they're doing that you move a couple of Taloi up behind them and see what happens. Might give it a go sometime.

aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 13:03

I think it would work certainly better than Grots or Wracks built for the same purpose.

I can see them viable in foot list. Beasts, Hellions, Taloses, large blobs of Warriors and such stuff...
Back to top Go down
MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 17:39

The idea I tried this time was an alpha strike list with Vect, which worked pretty well but I made a very poor tactical decision and lost by 1 stinking point. The next game will be more of a susprise attack list with the Duke and his homies, the Wraithguards job(s) in that list will be to template the crap of my opponent, which will be Orks.... Hopefully I'll make those dumb green brutes go Wahhhhgggg all the way home lol

Adeptus Mechanicus - Taghmata Omnissiah & Legio Cybernetica
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03 2014, 14:36

i used WG in a WS in my list with 2 talos, a WK, and a grot squad...worked well to distract and the WG would add a nice punch where I needed it...im taking them out to try out beastpack and warp spiders since its a lot of points to see how that goes though

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03 2014, 19:14

Wraithguard with d-scythes, nothing to scoff at

dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03 2014, 22:42

ligolski what Eldar HQ are you combining them with? Did you go for the Spiritseer and if so how have you found him tactically?

ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04 2014, 01:54

When I was taking WG I used a spiritseer as the WG would then be my troops allotment for allies. He was alright and never did anything spectacular. I usually tried to use him to buff the WG or debuff the enemy if I rolled ok. Now, spiritseers also have access to telepathy (i think...w/e gives him that last table in the book...can get powers that take mind control units and such...just having a brain fart on the names now). I think spiritseers would be neat in 3-5's to totally jack up multiple squads if you go iyanden. I'm excited to try out a farseer now though.

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05 2014, 05:23

I'm playing against Orks tomorrow and I'm gonna try the Iyanden Supplement as an allied detachment. I'll post the list once I figure it out, but to the point of this post I'm gonna try a Spirit Seer w/ Wraithguard as the troops and I'm throwing D-Scythes on them. Wish me luck.

Back to top Go down
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07 2014, 03:23

Luck wished. With a wave serpent and the d-scythe wraithguards, the only issue is S4 jump troops I have found. Well.... And white scars bikes. I have up eldar though. They, to me, are just too easy to play. The S4 insta death is just ridiculous. Great for tourneys but doesn't make friends in the house game scene lol. Unless you have that ONE guy that needs a butt whippin =)

MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07 2014, 05:27

doomseer11b wrote:
Luck wished.  With a wave serpent and the d-scythe wraithguards, the only issue is S4 jump troops I have found.  Well.... And white scars bikes.  I have up eldar though.  They, to me, are just too easy to play.  The S4 insta death is just ridiculous.  Great for tourneys but doesn't make friends in the house game scene lol.  Unless you have that ONE guy that needs a butt whippin =)

Thank you much, there's always a guy that needs a good butt whippin lol. The Ork player got wind of my list and tried to bring mech's in anticipation but it was still a slaughter fest. I ended up tabling him by turn 4, he really was not expecting the d-scythes.... Oh and terrify is simply amazing with the Baron and his crazy ton of attacks unit.
Back to top Go down
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07 2014, 18:21

Lately I have been trying to keep it DE pure. I haven't been attending tourneys much lately as the meta irritates me. It's like you have to have a Death Star to compete. I have up eldar, for me, it has been pretty much an auto win every time except with tau. It got a little boring. Have you tried the khymera star? 25 khymera, 4 BM, the baron and a Farseer with prescience and fortune (hopefully)? I played a game last night with the khymera and BM by themself with no eldar and kept baron with the hellions. My list is a "fluffy" wych cult list. It was amazingly resilient and deadly on its own. I can't imagine with eldar to back it up how nasty it would be.

aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 07 2014, 20:58

Well if you think it through, the khymerae beastmasters can be really potent. The ward is good and blasts and s6+ does not trouble you as with the flocks. Although if you are not using say chaos hounds as khymerae it is a costly business money-wise.
Back to top Go down
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08 2014, 16:23

True lol, I'm proxying with hormagaunts right now till I can piece meal a squad together.

MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 02:12

No I haven't seen that unit yet.... That's like what 75+ attacks? Holy crazy, now I wanna try it, the birds seem a little lack luster lately for me. Pulse the 4+ invul. has been so very helpful.

Back to top Go down
melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14 2014, 23:03

10x Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent with a Spiritseer. It's expensive and will draw a LOT of fire, but it will score and be hard to dislodge.

I love D-scythes, but they're so expensive and you can't just take one or two.

Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15 2014, 01:12

melkorthetonedeaf wrote:
10x Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent with a Spiritseer.  It's expensive and will draw a LOT of fire, but it will score and be hard to dislodge.

I love D-scythes, but they're so expensive and you can't just take one or two.

Wraithguard are bulky. Only 5 will fit in a serpent with a seer.
D-scythes do melt face though.
Back to top Go down
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15 2014, 01:47

Wraithguard are great for board control.  If your opponent knows what they do (dscythes that is).  The only problem is if you face another fast army. And by fast I mean anything with jump packs or bikes.  Let a unit wrap it and both units are gone.  I have played a game where my opponent kept me from advancing the entire game with them for fear of being shot to pieces if I disembark or being wrapped in assault with 2 BA jump assault squads.  If playing white scars forget about it, which means forget about it.  A lot of white scars these days and I dont blame them.  I would invest elsewhere like spiders or lots of spiders.  They're resilient, fast as all get out and deep striking.  Thy get rear armour pretty well, and awesome anti infantry.  180 points for 10????  Then put the rest into wind riders.  They're also, fast, durable and get a jink for free and obviously scoring.

Edit: the fact that spiders move so fast AND can run and shoot makes them more deadly. They can take out armour 10-11 flyers somewhat reliably, move to contest obj.s, auto wound MC, and ignore terrain. Pretty nasty unit if you ask me. I would take them over wraithguard any day. Love wraith but they rely too much on trans, and a game where space marines are evolving to be faster, it's a big risk putting them in wave serpents. If serpents had firing ports, I would say maybe. But they don't.

melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16 2014, 17:29

yeah, whoops. forgot that.

PostSubject: Re: Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment   Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wraithguard / Wraithblade in allied detachment
Page 1 of 1