THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New Hardback Mini Rulebook

Go down 
+9
Dogmar
Gobsmakked
Mngwa
Sharpe
Evil Space Elves
facelessabsalom
DominicJ
commandersasha
Sky Serpent
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

New Hardback Mini Rulebook Empty
PostSubject: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 10:57

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=&prodId=prod2160089a

Posting this in DE News as we usually post big general 40k releases here - whether you'd call it big is up to you....

So this has come out of left field. GW has released a direct order only hardback mini rulebook. It is the same book you get from the starter set, yet hardback with three coloured page markers. Looks really nice but is £30 and for the most part, everyone has one already...

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 11:24

That's actually not too expensive...if I hadn't already spent £100 on 6th edition rules I might consider it! (Hardback on release, then Dark Vegetables for the practical sized book!)
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 11:27

Yeah, what a pain!
Rumoured an apoc is following it.

facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 11:59

I think it'ld been wiser and smarter to sell the mini rulebook w/o the hardback. Hurts less when you get hit by it!

No but I think the book from DV-starter would be cheaper for us to buy and alot lot mobile/easy to transport.

edit: acutally read through the gw link...

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 15:36

facelessabsalom wrote:
I think it'ld been wiser and smarter to sell the mini rulebook w/o the hardback. Hurts less when you get hit by it!
I hate when I lose so hard that my opponent beats me with my own rulebook Razz 

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sharpe
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 18:10

I actually may consider buying this, I am currently relying on other people's rule books because £45 to fork out on a book is just something I can't really afford at the moment...
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 21:24

I probably would buy it, but I got all the rules in the bigger rulebook already. And I like the exercise you get from carrying something big.

THE CULT OF THE BURNING LEAF

THE COVEN OF THE HOLLOWED
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 09:35

Many books are re-released in a cheaper, usually paperback, format a year or two after their initial hardcover release. And this is really no different. It's not cheap, but it is cheaper than the mother-of-all-rulebooks. And people who own the original BRB should not feel ripped off, you always pay a premium for the initial edition of any book.

They could have simply made the DV book available as a standalone, but where's the profit in that? The DV rulebook via Ebay is an option to those who want to go that route, as did I so that I would have something smaller sitting on the edge of the table with my dice, etc.

But for those who prefer something else, this offers a reasonable alternative.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 12:30

I don't see a reason to spend ~40€ on a hard back mini rulebook when I can get the paperback version for very cheap off ebay. That book is practical for new players who don't want to buy the super heavy tome, other than that another try to sell something old as super revolutionary... I'm tired of this.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 12:47

If I was entering the hobby now, or lost my books in a fire, I would definitely buy this one over the BRB or the softback(via Ebay). If only they did a spring-bound version! I am currently re-reading Will Self's collection of short stories, "Grey Area" (which I highly recommend), and my copy is spring-bound: it is so much easier to handle, and stays on the page when you let go!
Back to top Go down
fuhrmaaj
Kabalite Warrior
fuhrmaaj

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 16:06

I haven't bought the 6th edition rulebook. I bought the 3rd edition rulebook (dragging my heels the whole time) then 4th came out. My feeling is that the big books just come out too often for me to get much use out of a $90 CAN book.

That being said, those mini rulebooks have always been incredibly useful. In the past, I would go in with my friends on the starter pack so that we each wind up with templates and rulebooks and they'd have the models to supplement their armies. I don't know any Dark Angels players this edition so I don't have one of those either yet.

But I dunno. $60 CAN for something I already have mostly memorized when it's going to show up at every store or house I play at still feels excessive. And I don't know what you guys are looking at, but here it's only 33% off getting the whole thing. As always, this is more of a "What do I actually get for my money" thing and it's not feeling like much. I'll try to hunt down a softcover version on ebay.
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25 2013, 16:47

I bought the DV box in order to get the mini rulebook and sold everything else Razz

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29 2013, 22:34

Will it be updated with the errata from the FAQ?
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01 2013, 19:55

I suppose not. Maybe with Errata but there has never been any FAQ printed in a rulebook, no matter if it was a newer print.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 07:02

A couple of friends checked it out on Friday night and it did include the errata. Not sure about the FAQ's though.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 09:17

Later printings tend to incorporate errata as these are actual changes to the rules. FAQ's on the other hand are supposed to just be clarification and therefore are not included.

Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02 2013, 11:05

Count Adhemar wrote:
Later printings tend to incorporate errata as these are actual changes to the rules. FAQ's on the other hand are supposed to just be clarification and therefore are not included.
This.
Back to top Go down
Omnicide
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03 2013, 01:05

I dont own the big one, so I bought the ipad version of this (there is an ipad specific one, and a regular ebook one) the ipad specific one includes functionality for quick navigation, for example when looking at weapon profiles u can tap "assault" or "blast" and it will come up with a message box displaying that rule or when looking at the game steps it will say deploy infiltrators/scouts and u can click infiltrate for the same kind of pop up

There is a search box and a digital bookmark option, both work well.

Definitely worth the 35 dollars in my opinion

FYI i also bought the digital chaos marines codex on ipad and it has the same kind of functionality including quick links for every unit entry that links to its entries in the bestiary, army list, and reference section
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Hardback Mini Rulebook   New Hardback Mini Rulebook I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Hardback Mini Rulebook
Page 1 of 1