THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A Question...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon Kheraq Sionyx
Slave
Archon Kheraq Sionyx

A Question... Empty
PostSubject: A Question...   A Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05 2013, 18:04

Do any of you guys think it is likely that the Eldar factions each speak a different dialect of the Eldar language?

If this were the case, I have an inkling that Commorites would be more varied in dialects than the other kindreds. My theory is that the Kabals that were once Noble houses and the oldest of Haemonculi would speak a more archaic version of the Commorite dialect whilst the younger kabals would sound a little different based on the districts they originate and recruit from.

With the Exodites, their isolation would probably lead to a dialect that could be relatively uniform across the worlds they inhabit; obviously there may be some minor differences based on a particular world's experiences and contact with other Eldar.

The Craftworlders seem to be harder to place, but I'd hardly expect their dialects to be uniform. I'd think that the Eldar of Saim-Hann would speak a dialect that featured heavy Exodite influence given their frequent interactions and cultural practices.

Also given that Eldar commune with body language as well, could their be variations of that as well?
-------------------------------
This is just a bit of speculation, the evolution of language has been recent fascination to me.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

A Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question...   A Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05 2013, 18:34

Yes. I believe they would.

With how language changes over time ad the Eldar race being scattered so widely I think that Commorragh would have a very different language to Craftworlders. Even then I believe it would vary from district to district and Craftworld to Craftworld.

I believe there's a bit in the Dark Eldar RP book (Can't remember the name of it) that mentions the Dark Eldar having a number of different words for "Suffering", or something along those lines.

I think the biggest distinction would be between the Exodites and other Eldar, seeing as they have been away from the Empire for the longest.

Despite the difference in language I do not find it unlikely that Eldar would find it difficult to understand other dialects.

In my own writing I like to note that Dark Eldar tongue sounds harsher and more vicious compared to Craftworlders.
Back to top Go down
Hijallo
In Exile

A Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question...   A Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05 2013, 19:36

Probably, there is one common form of language, may be a form used and distributed by Harlequins which every Eldar (at least, every educated one) understands. And a really wide bunch of local dialects, codespeaks, e t c.
Back to top Go down
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

A Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question...   A Question... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05 2013, 21:42

Yes although the extent would probably be somewhat determined by the nature of mass communication. Television has been terribly efficient at standardizing English and other languages. Translation devices may also have a huge impact on language in the other direct--why bother learning when a machine can tell you?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Question...   A Question... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question...
Page 1 of 1