THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Is this a good idea for modelling?

Go down 
+5
Tengu
infamousme
Thor665
Senllus
Jimsolo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Is this a good idea for modelling? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 00:21

I had a couple of ideas but wanted to ask and see if I was completely off base before doing them.

1. I was thinking about getting a unit of Fantasy Dark Elf Executioners and using them as Incubi.

2. I was also thinking about picking up a couple of Wraithlords, blinging them out with some blades, spikes, chains, and goth tattoos, and using them as Pain Engines/Parasite Engines.
Back to top Go down
Senllus
Slave
Senllus

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 01:01

IMO The DE Executioners look took static in their posing for Incubi

Also, the wraithlords are generally too robotic for something like a pain engine which is convoluted, but organic.

Just my opinions, though, they're your models do whatever you want with them.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 01:15

The Executioners are a bit static, 'tis true, but they wind up being almost half as much as 40k Incubi.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 01:45

I think the Executioners would make excellent Incubi, myself.

I actually agree with the Wraithlords bit, not so much on the robotic aspect but simply the wraithbone tech would bug me. I suppose it would depend on what you did with them, as a good conversion trumps all.
Back to top Go down
Senllus
Slave
Senllus

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 02:13

If you're actually going to use all 10 then the executioners will save you money, but my problem still remains they were designed to stand in rank, so it's just a bunch of guys standing upright while an incubus is flailing about. They still are excellent models so I have no serious griped about them but the posing.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07 2013, 02:32

My thought on the Wraithlord was that it represents, from a fluff perspective, an actual Wraithlord that ended up 'defecting' to the Dark Eldar cause. Longing for the old days when he could engage his most depraved of appetites, he saw the way the Dark Eldar were living and wished that he could abandon his prison of Wraithbone. When the group of Eldar he was with were ambushed by raiders in service to Duke Sliscus, he found his opportunity. Although the Dark Eldar of Commorragh would never allow him into their city, Duke Sliscus did not live in the Webway domain, and would be more than happy to have a corrupted Eldar Wraith-Giant on his side.
Back to top Go down
infamousme
Hellion
infamousme

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09 2013, 03:19

I use the older metal executioners as incubi. I used greenstuff in their helmets to make the front portion of the helmet look like it has a glass lens over it. The new skull helmets look super cool, though I think I would use the black guard heads for your particular needs.

Point is, they are armed correctly and look way cool, so why not?
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09 2013, 10:06

Do they work for you?
Back to top Go down
Viktorov
Slave
Viktorov

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09 2013, 13:07

Incubi models look awesome, why replace them with Dark elf?
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09 2013, 14:14

One of my stops, when im in a different town, is the local GW, and so far the one with the nices conversions was the one in Manchester, i guess on conversion in particular will be of interest to you.

Is this a good idea for modelling? Wraith10
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 00:01

Viktorov wrote:
Incubi models look awesome, why replace them with Dark elf?

Because they're almost half the price of the regular Incubi models!   Very Happy   I mean, it'd be great if I could afford all the models I want, but I already play multiple armies, and I've got a son to boot, so my money gets spread pretty thin.  I gotta cut corners where possible.

Crazy_Irish wrote:
One of my stops, when im in a different town, is the local GW, and so far the one with the nices conversions was the one in Manchester, i guess on conversion in particular will be of interest to you.

Holy crap!  That's just the ticket!  It's really awesome!  Thanks so much for showing it to me!
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 14:40

The Exes will work very well as Incubi especially once they're put on round bases. You're right to choose plastic over that dreadful FC material that's more expensive, can't hold the details such as spikes, and you'll land some cool bits for your bits-box at the same time. Result! IIRC the Incubi only have 3 poses where as the Exes have at least 5, so there's another bonus too. You could graft some Warrior or Wyche legs to the Exes' torsos, for more 'movement', but that would really save you money nor time.  Evil or Very Mad 

That picture shows a converted Wraithlord not WraithGuard unless I'm seriously mistaken, just look at the base size. It definitely appears to be on a 60mm base.
Back to top Go down
Viktorov
Slave
Viktorov

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10 2013, 15:31

Crazy_Irish wrote:

The Comorrogah damn me, this is just awesome!
Indeed, this is one of the best conversions I ever saw.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeFri May 16 2014, 06:01

Well, it's not as good as the one Crazy Irish posted, but here's Frykyrion, the traitorous Wraithlord turned Talos.

Is this a good idea for modelling? 613296_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Talos%2C%20Wraithlord
Is this a good idea for modelling? 613297_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Talos%2C%20Wraithlord
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat May 17 2014, 18:20

I would remove the left hand and replace with your weapon of choice (liquifier, chain snares, whatever strikes you).
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeSat May 17 2014, 19:38

I only really rock him with chain flails and the splinter cannon. The chains dangling off both arms were supposed to represent the chain flails.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeThu May 28 2015, 04:04

So, a while ago I started working on a project to convert several old Wraithlords into Talos Pain Engines (magnetized options to make them Cronos Engines as well). The first two are just going to be all scuffed up and Dark Eldar-y, but for the other four, I had a bright idea to make them look like a gash of cenobites from Hellraiser.

So, Pinhead is an obvious pick. I've already done the head, and it looks phenomenal.

Here's the question though: who to do for the remaining three? Most of them would require a boatload of work. The main problem is that my GS skills blow goats, so I'd prefer not to have to do a bunch of sculpting or a bunch of freehand work. (This is the reason I discarded Angelique and Chatterer from the running. I also disqualified Female Cenobite and Butterball because their most distinctive visual characteristics won't work with the Wraithlord frame.)

My remaining choices have come down to: Halo (I'd probably do the 'halo' out of actual fishhooks), Fan Dancer (her coloration, tattoos, and weapons would make her stand out more than some of the others), Balberith (She's the least cenobitey of them but I could, with some practice, get some lace and make her a gown of sorts, the glasses would be easy to fabricate, and I might be able to find a small book to bind to her back), and Little Sister (I could do the wire strands out of guitar wire, so she'd be fairly easy as well).

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitimeThu May 28 2015, 04:05

Warning: the links lead to the Hellraiser Wiki. If you ever wondered what corner the mouthbreathing, illiterate cockroaches of the internet breed in, this is it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a good idea for modelling?   Is this a good idea for modelling? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this a good idea for modelling?
Page 1 of 1