THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Arena

Go down 
+17
Plague
Archon Sussarkh
Raucir Lustingclaw
Warhound
GAR
Tiri Rana
dizylizy
SirTainly
bork
Thor665
Garfy
Sky Serpent
speedfreek
Gobsmakked
Local_Ork
Xelkireth
Hydra
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06 2011, 21:57

So I was thinking about your arena and one of my projects and I need some advice Hydra. I built all three of my warhammer tables out of MDF and I love the material. I am attempting to build a bunch of manifactorum buildings out of my MDF however when I nailed into the side of the wood the board split. How did you build this awesome piece of dark eldar architecture out of this material and what advice could you give on using it?
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07 2011, 10:17

Well, it all depends on how thick your MDF is and what diameter the nails have. I had a lot of splitting and the like. But i was in the comfortable situation, that i had about 1cm to toy around with. In the end i didnT' use a nail, but a screw to but the boards together. For that you need to drill smaller holes than the screw will be, or the mdf will split again.

If you are working with mdf with a thickness of around 0.5cm i would use pva glue, small nails and even smaller drills. Prepare the holes where you want the nails to be, by drilling the holes (which should be slightly smaller than the nails you are using) aply the PVA glue and then hammer in the nail.

maybe you give some pictures somewhere that specify it a little more, then i coul dbe of more use.
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07 2011, 16:39

Thanks alot Hydra...We are using 1/2" mdf; it worked well for our boards so we designed some buildings around the same material. I think screws will be a far better solution to the splitting so we will try them. I forgot to ask last time is what tool did you use to cut the shapes out. My buildings will be square-ish but I am just curious about what tool you thought was best; especially for that amazing detail.
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08 2011, 14:15

I used something like this to cut the Mdf:
The Arena - Page 3 Stichsae

The walkway/handrail was done from a board of plastic-foam-board and cut with alot of pain and a normal cutter. Afterwards all was sanded down with a sandingmachine.

Will you post pictures of your project here?
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08 2011, 16:50

Ok so jigsaw and screws; Luckily I have everything I will need. Thanks Hydra.

Based on experience when I build something the only thing productive that gets done is me teaching my younger brothers to swear. I will try and take pics on the manifactorum in progress but may only be able to do a done shot depending on rage levels. I hope to see more of your awe inspiring work soon.
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14 2012, 07:56

Fantastic work! Aside from the quite respectable conversions, I especially love the symbols, runes, and swirlies you paint.
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

The Arena - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Arena   The Arena - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Arena
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3