THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Duke Sliscus

Go down 
+5
Nappen
1++
commandersasha
Brom
GwionB
9 posters
AuthorMessage
GwionB
Hellion
GwionB

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28 2013, 23:59

Hi guys, topics on this general theme have been asked before but I couldn't find one directly on this so I thought I'd ask...is Duke Sliscus actually worth it? worth the hype even? I mean I'm a new DE player so you can slap me down as a "stupid noob" if you like... but although his drug two-roll thing is pretty cool and his poison upgrade is nice, is he really going to affect the outcome of a battle more than a well kitted out Archon? Im genuinely curious, because lore-wise (or "fluff"...still dont like that word!) he is awesome, but in terms of the tactical outcome of battles, for what he does I cant see how a properly kitted out Archon wont do his job better (close combat, challenges etc) most probably for cheaper too. Thoughts guys? Am I missing something with this exalted one, beyond being a cool character in the backstory and an averagely pragmatic model?
Back to top Go down
GwionB
Hellion
GwionB

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 00:02

Just though...maybe tactica wasnt the place for this. Sorry if so mods! Please dont imprison me it was only a couple of glasses of red guv I swear! Smile
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 00:04

Unique weaponry, double chance at FNP for wych spam and better splinterfire for one unit. Ya hes worth it in my book, just depends what type of army you prefer. Also worth noting another member of this forum went 5-0 twice at 2 throne of skulls events this year with a duke list.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 00:34

I am very happy with my Duke and tooled up Archon list; I play in a friendly environment with a group that are competitive but fluffy, and discuss lists beforehand.

If I am facing fliers, Duke sits on my Aegis, high BS on the Lascannon. Otherwise, he usually joins a home objective troop squad: his high Ld helps prevent them running away if shot, and if they get assaulted late game, he can run interference.

Having Duke as a backfield HQ means I can run an aggressive frontline Warlord too, and she definitely approves of having her own personal dealer supplying a choice of drugs!
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 00:50

Duke is the type of Character you build an army around. He has 4 major benefits; 2 Drug rolls, poisoned increase, Deepstrike and twin Venom Blades that Ignore Armour 33% of Wounds.

So as an idea, he starts with Kabalites or Trueborn that are all Splinter Fire, joins a unit of 6 Bloodbrides (w/ 2 Shardnets) and goes on a monster hunting expedition (thanks twin Venom Blades). He also allows Deepstriking Haywire Wyches to drop down mid table, then Flat Out to re-position setting up for next turn tank grenading. And if the one of these Venoms get shot up, the Wyches can still assault in their next turn....win
Back to top Go down
GwionB
Hellion
GwionB

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 09:54

I'd forgotten about his twin venom blades actually, they're pretty sweet. Yeah fair enough! Was a genuine question with all the hype over him in certain quarters (or kabals? Wink) of our DE brothers was he actually worth it but building a list that suits the duke and applying your tactics as such seems to be the way to go. Something my wallet cant afford just yet XD

I like the idea of having him in the backfield and having a tricked out Archon up front I have to say! In higher point battles that could be extremely fun. Only having 1k pointers with my friend (nemesis) at the moment but may have to steal that idea for when we go for bigger battles!

Cheers for the responses though guys, was a genuine question from a newbie Deldar player Smile
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 12:17

Did you try this thread? http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5063-sliscus-tactica

I love the duke. He is a killing maching, ups your chance for FNP, turns a squad of splinter weapons into even bigger death machines. I don't use the deep strike much, but am considering it.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 12:21

I play 1,500, and find Duke (or in my case Duchess!) easily affordable whilst I spend 345 on my Archon (Shadow,Husk,Trap,Drugs, 4 Grotesques, Raider).

He isn't a top tier HQ, and I can't speak for the Tournament-level, but in my quite competitive group, I do well.

I personally feel that 1,500 is where the game is best, on a 6'x4'; why not proxy some Lego men/cardboard cutouts to get to 1,500. Don't let GW fool you into thinking that you can only play with their models, their scenery, their dice etc!

There are even papercraft PDFs for plenty of craft, 2 of my 5 Venoms are folded card, and are perfect size and shape matches!
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 12:34

Can you link some of those PDF's? They sound good!

On topic, one of the admins has the title of "Gay for Sliscus" so he cannot be that bad of a character
Back to top Go down
GwionB
Hellion
GwionB

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 14:04

Yeah this is what I mean, a lot of players seem to absolutely bum him, but I couldn't see the root of THAT much love for the guy XD maybe I just haven't given him a chance. I'll probably learn to love the duke when we've spent some quality battling time together... Razz
Back to top Go down
GwionB
Hellion
GwionB

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 14:09

I hadn't seen that tactica actually, but now I have it just makes me feel even more like I'm talking out of my ar*se cause I've not given him a chance XD live n learn eh, I'm a DE noob atm after all. Was just a curious question to begin with, since my pimped out Archon seems to do so well without the statline reduction you get with the Duke (although clearly not with the badass rules and extras that come with said aristocrat). I'll try him out, and most probably crawl back with a sigh admitting he is pretty awesome after all XD
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29 2013, 14:20

There has been a pretty decent 1500 list with Sliscus around here.

BB + Sliscus in Venom
5 Wych Venom
3 Razorwing

All venoms have nightshields, Wyches have Hekatrix with venom blades. Wyches have haywires.

Really versatile list, i like it.
Back to top Go down
Void Stalker
Hellion
Void Stalker

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30 2013, 10:27

@ Brom and Azdrubael - Thanks for the shout outs, that is my list that went to Throne of Skulls.

I can indeed vouch for the Duke - especially if running a Wych based army. The main issue I have had with Archons and Huskblades is wounding tougher enemies such as Necron Overlords and Monstrous Creatures. The Duke is extremely versatile and can quite happily engage any opponent in combat and walk away victorious (providing his shadow field holds). I know that one argument against him is that an Archon has more attacks - but the Duke invariably wounds more often AND has a 33% chance of ignoring armour.

To make him points efficient in terms of a competitive army however, you do need to make the most of his special rules - in my case I use a wych army for double drug rolls. So I would advice building your army around which of his special rules you are going to be taking advantage of.

Just as a final note, I would happily rate Sliscus as the best combat HQ (for his points) in our Codex.

Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
StokieRich
Hellion

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10 2014, 14:18

Just as an aside Void Stalker, how would you play that list?

Really new to Dark Eldar and just beginning to grow to 500pts but I love the idea of a wych based army with the Duke (Duchess for me probably using the succubus model to proxy)

If coming against Mech do you:
Suicide wyches into transports
Try and isolate and use all the wych squads to throw haywire then charge contents
Whiz around waiting for the razorwings to come in and pop transports

Would be really good to get an idea how it plays rather than just a list (understand if you don't have the time)

Thanks either way Smile

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://twotimestwohobbytime.blogspot.com/
Void Stalker
Hellion
Void Stalker

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10 2014, 14:47

Hi Rich,

I actually use a variety of those tactics you mentioned depending on opponent. If I believe my enemy has TOO much firepower to rush them, I will hug my table edge and use night shields to stay out of range - Then when my Razorwings turn up, I will rush everything forward and overwhelm my opponent with saturation of targets.

I will happily turbo boost my entire army into an enemy mech lineup first turn if I believe they can only down 3 venoms. My second turn assault usually wipes out all of my opponents vehicles...

My list is generally not considered viable and warriors are generally the preferred troops choices for Dark Eldar - however I know from experience that a wych army is extremely 'competitive', if you were to choose that word for this game of ours.

I meant to post some battle reports up on my last tournament outing but didn't get the chance... However I aim to put some video battle reports down soon with some friends, so you can see how the army works properly. Watch this space!
Back to top Go down
StokieRich
Hellion

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10 2014, 14:52

That'd be fantastic if possible Void Stalker, I'll wait with bated breath Razz

Tough for someone who doesn't get to play often as I see lots of lists but not much in the way of how to play them and whilst I know I should just get out there and play I have limited time as a father of two and only get to play maybe once a month so any information gleaned from experienced players really helps lessen the learning curve.

Thanks again,

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://twotimestwohobbytime.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Duke Sliscus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus   Duke Sliscus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duke Sliscus
Page 1 of 1