THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Duke Sliscus

Go down 
+4
Laughingcarp
Plastikente
ecam
thebeggarking
8 posters
AuthorMessage
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 17:03

Hey Folks,

Am new to dark Eldar. Started collecting in November. And really loving the forum. I was bored one sunday afternoon and was surrounded by loads of sprues with lots cool bits. So decided to build a Duke Sliscus and Lady Malys using the crew bodies and other left overs. (Does anyone actually build and put all the extra crew on their models?) Loving the great spares on DE sprues. But back to Sliscus he's built and undercoated. And how should i paint him? should i do him the same as my Kabal? or as he's a special character and sky serpent. Should i do him another colour scheme (Maybe Phil kelly's scheme). What do you guys think? Same as my other models or branch off and do some special Sliscus units.  I won't use him often. But will run him out every so often. Need all help i can get. Smile

3 games 3 losses... But hey i'm learning loads.

len

Last edited by thebeggarking on Mon Jan 20 2014, 18:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ecam
Hellion

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 22:44

Would love to see a pic of your modle mate and I think puting h with the right unit maybe a squad of warriors may bring your first victory what list are you running?
Back to top Go down
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20 2014, 05:50

Duke Sliscus  20140112

Here he is. I did a google search and saw one i think by someone on these forums. Looked cool so i had to make one. He's got a dark Elf Corsair cloak also.

Oh my lists at the moment are changing game to game. Just trying different units see how they go. Getting a feel for the army. Be nice to win but not concerned at moment. Having fun
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20 2014, 20:04

thebeggarking wrote:
Hey Folks,
Does anyone actually build and put all the extra crew on their models?)

I certainly don't - I use almost all of mine for cool conversions. I really like yours, by the way.

Personally, I have painted special characters both in my army scheme (Urien Rakarth, Lelith Hesperax, Drazhar) and in their own Kabal colours (Vect and Malys). I don't think the Sky Serpents are given a specific colour scheme in the Codex, so I would probably just paint him in my own army colours. But equally, that gives you the excuse to paint him in a complementary or contrasting colour scheme if you like.

So basically, my answer to your question is, 'Do whatever you fancy.' Helpful, huh?  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20 2014, 20:32

Cheers folks. Appreciate both your comments. Smile Went with ecam and gonna paint Sliscus in a different colour scheme. Will also buy and paint up a unit of kabalite warriors, and another kabalite sqd (built as trueborn). Think it fits as Sliscus got his own kabal. He will just help out occasionally. I Don't really use special characters often. But like to put them in the mix once in a while to shake it up. Have already spent couple hours putting some paint on Sliscus and pretty happy so far. Went with a variation of Phil Kelly's sky serpent scheme, Orange and black. If anyone knows the colours its Phil. May post a pic in the morning as the light not helping at moment. Thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21 2014, 05:30

Duke Sliscus  20140115

Duke Sliscus  20140116

Here's current progress. Needs tidying and washing and some more highlights. Blue is way too thick on the cloak. Flash not helping with that and the swords. Look way brighter than they are. Smile Like the scheme though.
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02 2014, 09:37

Excellent build, great pose, inspiring paint job!
You've got me thinking about building up some characters with all those bits...
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04 2014, 11:05

I like all of it but the sword colours; the green clashes too much with the orange for my taste.

If it were my model to choose, I would have the blades a normal metal colour, then use green ink, washes, or just a few paint blobs, for the poison.

But it's not my model, it's yours, and you've done a great job, plus gotten a free model rather than bought a lump of Failcast! Win!
Back to top Go down
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05 2014, 05:42

Hiya guys appreciate comments. Go for it Laughingcarp, love to see what you come up with. You get so many bodies and bits with the Dark eldar sprues. It be a waste not to use them. And its nice to have a few very different models than the usual shop generic standard hq ones.

Commandersasha - thanks. I like the model and i think your probably right about the green swords. Need tone it down a touch. The flash has made it more glaring but its still too thick. What do you think of the green raider prow/nose his perched on? Should i change its colour? Maybe red to match the rest of my non druke sliscus force colours. Currently its just him for my sky serpents.

len
Back to top Go down
melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18 2014, 01:50

I always see the Duke with a cloak. Did I miss this in the fluff?
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18 2014, 21:03

The real issue I see here is the cloak is brighter than the armor, and so in the pictures it makes it hard to look at, or in other words, your eyes do not have a central place to focus on.

The armor highlights are warm colors, and draw the attention of the eye, but the blue, a cool color, is such a dominant color on this model it pulls the eye away. Since green is a contrast to the orange and complement to blue, it confuses where we as the viewer should focus.

Overall though, I like the conversion. I am glad I am not the only to repurpose riders. half of my true born and wyches are vehicle riders and they make for some very dynamic and awesome infantry.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26 2014, 21:14

Hey Gar,

Yeah the picture is quite bright. The flash has made the blue and green really standout. In natural light its much better and natural, not so glaring. You maybe right about a central focus. Will have a another session on him and tidy up a bit and bit of fine tuning.

Cool yeah riders make nice conversions. Have a nice dynamic flow to most of the bodies. Works well. Cheers for comments. C+C much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Jamesy52
Slave
Jamesy52

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23 2014, 17:04

Not a bad conversion at all, though I would have just went for another blade instead of the razor flail, it just looks a bit bulky compared to the sleekness of your conversion.

Your paint job is okay, you have the basics down well; everything has a nice solid coat. You are attempting highlighting which is good. My advice to you is: neaten up your highlights. They are very broad and really they should just be thin lines along the edges, or cover areas where the light hits. The underside of the cloak is very messy, you just seem to have highlighted it randomly. Go over it again with the base colour and only highlight the raised bits and corners where the light hits.

I agree with Gar though, go for a darker blue on the cloak and to highlight it add lighter blues increasingly into the original colour, rather than just going for the extreme highlight. The swords are too bright too, it may be best as mentioned earlier to just go for metal colours.
Back to top Go down
thebeggarking
Slave
thebeggarking

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23 2014, 18:16

Hey Jamesy52,

Have to agree about the blade. It was the start of a new army. And i went with what i had in bits. Got a few more boxes since and will probably change it to a matching blade Smile. From Dukes fluff he seems immaculate and proper, so guess a rough flail swordy thing would not be really his style. Appreciate all C+C regarding model and painting. Taking it all on board. I've never been a pretty painter. Till recently i was very much an impatient, more of a dry brush scruffy style painter. Still working at it and still think mines very average at best. Don't think the flash is doing them much justice. Definitely need lots of highlight clean up. Looks better naturally. But after watching lots vids and batreps and reckon I'm not too bad. But Sliscus is on backburner. At moment focusing on painting tribal patterns on my vehicles. And today done base colours on some old school ebay incubi. So many projects.

Last edited by thebeggarking on Mon Mar 24 2014, 05:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jamesy52
Slave
Jamesy52

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23 2014, 21:21

thebeggarking wrote:
Hey Jamesy52,

Have to agree about the blade. It was the start of a new army. And i went with what i had in bits. Got a few more boxes since and will probably change it to a matching blade Smile. From Dukes fluff he seems immaculate and prope, so guess a rough flail swordy thing would be not really his style. Appreciate all C+C regarding model and painting. Taking it all on board. I've never been a pretty painter. Till recently i was very much an impatient, more of a dry brush scruffy style painter. Still working at it and still think mines very average at best. Don't think the flash is them doing much justice. Defiantly need lots of highlight cleanup. But fash Really shows it to extreme. Looks better naturally. But after watching lots vids and batreps and reckon I'm not too bad. But Sliscus is on backburner. At moment focusing on painting tribal patterns on my vehicles. And today done base colours on some old school ebay incubi. So many projects

Yeah, he seems like the dapper type, I imagine his blades are curved and deadly; more about finesse than strength. You're most welcome, as I say you have the basics down well. It just takes practice, I am still trying to improve all the time. It's very hard to photograph miniatures, there is a certain setting it needs to be at and you should shoot it against a white backdrop.

I would love to see your tribal patterns when you are done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Duke Sliscus  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus    Duke Sliscus  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duke Sliscus
Page 1 of 1