THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Where embarked troops fire from

Go down 
+4
Count Adhemar
Amuse Me
Thor665
whiskeytango
8 posters
AuthorMessage
whiskeytango
Hellion
whiskeytango

Where embarked troops fire from Empty
PostSubject: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 05:20

So under the rules for open topped transports, it says embarked troops fire from any part of the hull... really? ANY part?

Seems like it'd be considered cheesy for me to measure from the very tip of a raider... but... RAW says I can. What do you all do in that situation?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 05:39

I measure from whichever part of the hull is closest to my target. I'll admit I use the old style Raiders where are less pointy, but if I allow you to target a given area for blasts and templates then it's my hull and I shoot from it.

Edit: actually, I'll even add, I also will measure from different parts of the hull sometimes to affect my opponent's ability to lay claim to cover saves and the like.
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 08:31

I would assume its one of those things that is good to clarify before a game. During 5e, most people at my regular store play that "you can walk through building walls, its just difficult terrain" going from the guidelines in the book. One guy didnt agree with this and it made the match rather unejoyable. I now keep a list of things to clarify with the opponent for the match, and i think ill be adding this one to the list.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 09:34

I basically use the rule that if you can fire at it I can fire/disembark from it.
Back to top Go down
PartridgeKing
Sybarite
PartridgeKing

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 13:54

I integer the majority on this one. Sails etc aren't used to count LoS for shooting at us purposes but any point on the hull is. Exact working escapes me, but 'open-topped' says sumat like may disembark from any point on the hull and that it's fire points and the same. Now this might be a specific 5th memory coming back to me, but I remember reading wording of the ilk 'open-topped vehicles may count any point from their hull as a fire point'.
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 14:06

I play that the ram/rudder/sail aren't counted, either for shooting at or shooting from, but run it by opponents beforehand. Since it does mention "hull" and all. This is beneficial to both parties as a) It gives me half a chance of actually being able to hide behind something, but b) also means I can't sit the raider out of LoS with just a tiny bit of the point sticking out and effectively fire round corners whilst gaming the system to get a 3+ cover save (see BRB p 75).
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 14:22

I don't think it was bothered with in 6th, but in 5th rules vehicles had specific "Fire Points" - top hatch of a Rhino, side ports on a Chimera, anywhere from open-topped. I usually just stick to those as they make the most sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 16:33

Fire points are still a thing.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 23:55

I fire from any point on the hull. The book says I can. If you say I can't then my vehicle is not open topped and confers no +1 bonus to your damage rolls. Rawr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where embarked troops fire from   Where embarked troops fire from I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where embarked troops fire from
Page 1 of 1