THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

I like Finecast

Go down 
+24
Count Adhemar
Scantily Clad
The Eye of Error
DominicJ
Rip
mot666
Cavash
The_Burning_Eye
lonewolf
Freezer
Archeonlotet
Ebonhart
Tanhausen
Local_Ork
Phototoxin
Preacher
Massaen
lululu_42
abjectus
fenrisnorth
Urien Rakarth
Gobsmakked
Evil Space Elves
Sky Serpent
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06 2011, 22:51

There. I said it.

I waited a few months before making any purchases as the first run was obviously flawed and make sure I look at the clam packs but I now have a Sslyth, Lhamean, Urien, Medusae, Haemonculus and Necron Overlord.

They're all perfect. Yes they're a quid or two more but the detail is noticeably crisper and converting and posing them is so much easier. I still glue a penny in the base like on my plastic minis because I like them to have a subtle weight but I have nothing but praise for them.

Anyone else have positive experiences?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06 2011, 23:09

You take it back! Evil or Very Mad
Just kidding. I've found that some of my newest Finecast models have been better than the first releases(God AWEFUL stuff). When it works it looks good. I'm not sure that the detail is all that much better, and though they can make thinner and more realistic looking parts, it also is fragile as can be for DE models. I think that they are getting better with quality control, but I wonder how much of my positive perception is due to my lowered expectations after the first round of garbage that they put out.

That said, it is really easy to do conversions, though I still pin everything. I'm coming around.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 03:01

I did like the Succubus that I picked up a while ago, very crisp detail and super easy to work with. I am still a bit leery of FC's fragility with small pieces, I grabbed the last metal Venomthrope last week because it was a) 30% cheaper!!! and b) I didn't want to try bending and reshaping the tentacles on a FC version. I also am hesitant about these stories of the stuff going soft and losing shape in even just moderate heat.

However, I really want to get Wracks and have to hold myself back more and more each time I enter a store (and now that my wife is gainfully employed again, my wallet and willpower will succumb sooner rather than later).

And then there's those stinkin' Necrons. I do NOT want to start another army, but ..... Will probably get some models as they are just too kewl.
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 13:47

I know of only one person in our group who has bought FC stuff and it's not been good. I grabbed some Harlequins at the weekend and the only box the had in store was metal, so I saved money even if it will take a little more work to get them glued and cleaned up.
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
fenrisnorth
Kabalite Warrior

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10 2011, 18:13

Have had Zero trouble with Finecast so far myself. Two Ogre Butchers, a Tyrant, Golgfag, Bragg, one of each Maneater, a Firebelly and a box of Wracks.

Sure, there was flash, and some of the stuff was bent, but FFS, Metal minis don't always fit, and get bent swords too.

I'm all in....

As to the price: did no one on the planet realize it released in the summer, that magical time of year when GW does its usual price hike?
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 04:51

I just caved and bought my first box of Wracks (I won a gift certificate, which helped! Very Happy )

I have checked them out quite carefully and there are no errors. I know from my Succubus that FC is great to work with, so I'm pretty happy overall.

I'm still interested in their durability, but really, I am already losing lots of little spikey bits off my new plastics so these shouldn't be any worse.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 08:13

thin parts break easy, and the wracks I bought have some bubbles. Besides that it is a great material. I think ideal would be plastic/finecast hybrid. Plastic coven weapon sprue and finecast wracks for example, they would sell plenty of the weapon sprue. I'll probably just replace broken FC weapons with plastic skaven ones from bitz stores.
Back to top Go down
lululu_42
Kabalite Warrior
lululu_42

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 10:15

I think there fine. Most of my problems where the same problems as metal minis and the one hame I bought; his backpack had a huge bubble in it.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 10:31

I still worry about the australian summer (45+ degrees C for days on end). After this first one i will consider buying more... if the archon i bought is in 1 peice anyway...

BTW - the cast was A1 on it!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 09:31

So far I've had a bit of a mixed bag with my small amount (model wise not £) FC purchases.

I caved and bought myself a complete Court. The Lheaman and Medusa were both excelent. The Lheaman is one of my favourite models, even if her sword is a little rubbery, but hey the metal version would probably have bent by now and cracked the paint work.

The Ur-Ghul was relativily ok, a couple of bubbles on the arm and a slight modeling slip on his rear end but not that noticeable. Overall I still love the cute little thing.

Then the Slyth...First things first, I bought the first batch of these so they came with 25mm bases, not a big issue I'll grab some 40mm for them when I want to play them.

The first one I came to work on was a mess, every edge on it was "fuzzy", can you imagine all those scales? There was nothing on the model that was "crisp", and to add insult to injury in true DE fashion the cast had clearly been misaligned. I wasn't too annoyed and I know I could of taken it back to the store and they would have swapped it for me, but I've kept him to see what I can do to clean it up.

The second one on the other hand is again nearly perfect, a slight casting error on his front, but that has been covered up with a scourge Shard Carbine, and a couple of fuzzy scales here and there, but not bad overall.

Like I said, a mixed bag really. Maybe I got them "too soon" but that shouldn't be an issue. Has this put me off finecast? Yes and no. I think I'll get a few more clamp packs where I can see the models before I jump for a closed box. However I'm glad to hear mostly good stories about FC from the dark city.
Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 10:07

I have 2 FC lhameans after one of them had a malformed sword finger. The swords aren't very strong and the poison droplet broke off of one of them. I will be coverting a lady Malys anyway so am not worried but all in all I'd prefer metal if it could get the detail - which it can't so I have to say plastic trumphs them all for me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joerogers.info
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 10:29

Phototoxin wrote:
The swords aren't very strong and the poison droplet broke off of one of them.
Oh that's what that was...it was just a lump of resin flash on mine. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 13:59

Went to my FLGS this weekend purposefully to buy my own first Finecast model, the Lhamean as I love that model. Checked the blister through the pack and the blade on her left hand was snapped off, I couldn't actually tell whether one of the 3 bits of resin in the bottom of the clam pack was the blade or not... I turned it in to the owner and as that was the only one they had in stock I left.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 20:18

Massaen wrote:
I still worry about the australian summer (45+ degrees C for days on end) ....

Yes. I made the point a while ago that the complaints about heat that had been posted so far were all from the UK, so if I was back home in the Aussie summer I would be somewhat nervous.

I know that this is supposed to be a rare positive thread about FC, and personally I wish that the problems would disappear so that we could just get on with it. But anyone who thinks that GW might be turning the corner with this product should have a look at Mathieu Fontaine's blog and his experiences with the recently-launched Necrons.
http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/overlords-5-6-fail.htm
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 22:43

And this is why I want to produce my own minis. They still look like after point-blank pellet shot in the face but at least don't cost their weight in gold...

Seriously, if in price of one mini You can have half litre of resin then I have no questions.

On the other hand I love WFB plastic blisters. Those... those things are most clever, especiially for low GW standards. Failcast fails thanks to imperfect technology AND wrong application.

Also, what the hell is with those quantity per customer limits? Seriously, even Wracks have "up to five due to *cough* high demand *cough*"...
Not like You can't get around this but bad taste remain.

Sorry for this little offtop, resin actually would work if GW would return to their "hybrid model" policy. One piece resin tank turrets with plastic accesories are perfect example. Resin is NOT "accurate" material, at all. Fact that plastic require high-pressure steel molds and Failcast not speak for itself...
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 12:48

Gobsmakked wrote:
But anyone who thinks that GW might be turning the corner with this product should have a look at Mathieu Fontaine's blog and his experiences with the recently-launched Necrons.
http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/overlords-5-6-fail.htm

I bought the same Overlord on release day and mine was fine, almost perfect except for a few air bubbles in the cloak. I would be ignorant to suggest there aren't problems out there but in my small part of the webway, Finecast rules ok.
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 12:52

Sky, I think therein is the problem. It is such a hit or miss material. I'd really love for it to tick all the boxes but how they went to market with a product that has such massive QC failures and then they rub your face in it by selling products to "repair" the models, all while charging you more for the privilege.... it stinks.
Back to top Go down
Tanhausen
Hellion

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29 2011, 12:55

Hi there,

I'm more of a converter than a painter... but yes, those Lhamean are nice! I got a couple, along with Urien, an archon and a medusa.

They had minor bubbles (a Lhamean had almost no foot, but it was easy to GS and it isnt a MAIN focus point when you pick up the model) but they are quite nice.

What I don't quite get the hang of is the neither the weight (feels odd) nor the hardness. It feels waaaaaay too soft.

But I think they're ok Smile
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29 2011, 14:07

I got my Lhamean this weekend. No bubbles, little flash but the poison drips from the sword are almost non-existant and they look like flash. Much better than the last one I looked at but still a miscast model.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2012, 00:22

Isabella Von Carstein - missing the tip of her nose...

Finecast BOOOOOOO Wink
Back to top Go down
Ebonhart
Kabalite Warrior
Ebonhart

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2012, 01:24

i've bought 2 things in finecast, both were flawed. my haemonculi has bubbles all over the bone backpack (its bone so i filled it a little and painted over it), and it was missing all of the hand holding the cube and half the cube. i had to green stuff the cube, and i replaced the hand from a gun arm of a warrior...sadly it was a right hand instead of a left.

the other one was a unit of incubi, the bodies and heads were fine it was the klaves and the hands that held them that had bubbles and missing fingers. most of these were on the bottom side of the klave, so i panted over them and i'm successfully ignoring them.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2012, 01:31

Sky Serpent wrote:
Isabella Von Carstein - missing the tip of her nose...

Finecast BOOOOOOO Wink

Just received some well-cast Wracks and 2 Haemis that I bought on Ebay. Big relief as I've been really hesitant to buy Finecrap online with all of hte casting problems that I've had with Finecast models. I was just thinking today that I hadn't bought a crappy Finecast product in a while. Thanks for shattering my confidence! lol! Makes me glad that I bought metal Harlies cheap on Ebay this week.
Back to top Go down
Archeonlotet
Kabalite Warrior
Archeonlotet

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2012, 03:00

I picked up Isabella from my FLGS this weekend and her chin was bubbled. Put in my e-mail to GW to let them know about my issue... guess I'll be waiting two weeks for a replacement.
Back to top Go down
Freezer
Slave

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 22:34

its too light, I enjoy the feel of metal, the weight of it...I have 2 all metal armies, both my orks and bretonnians can be mostly metal...
all of my old west miniatures are metal
finecast is resin and to me resin is for dolls only, not miniatures (which it seems not to be able to do well...except with flames of war, but you dont really see much of it, its really only the centre, surrounded by the turret, tracks, etc)
Back to top Go down
lonewolf
Kabalite Warrior
lonewolf

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 22:51

my finecast Archon i got was fine, very little to no flash and no bubbles.
though i did check it over in the blister before i bought it.
Personally i will only buy any finecast from a gw store so i can open and check it there and then and demand a replacement if needed Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I like Finecast Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I like Finecast
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next