THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar

Go down 
+24
szeszej
Ikol
Meatwagon
Vasara
Skizzik_NZ
sebbunny
Zenotaph
JDrakeW
Thor665
Squidmaster
Skuggestorm
xxoblivionxx33
Elzadar
ketamine
Archon Rayd
thelordcal
Crowbar
Zanais
Fruz
Siticus the Ancient
funkyfibes
alexwellace
Shadows Revenge
Sky Serpent
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar Empty
PostSubject: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11 2012, 20:19

Anyone just starting with DE should consider posting your question(s) here and the answers provided by other members will help build it up into a useful source of information, easy to find in one location. Thank you, Gob.

On this forum, especially this category we have and will always get threads asking what to get and how to go about starting your very own Dark Eldar army. I don't want those threads to stop but I think we could create a thread with tips on everything a beginner needs - from first buys to easy conversions.

Let's get compiling....

Easy Blasters: A lot of players find themselves lacking Blasters, especially those who wish to field Trueborn with said weapon. Use the often discarded Shredder, cut off the barrel and replace with the tip of a Blast Pistol.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2012, 15:20

Easy Blasters: With alittle simple converting you can effectively get 4 blasters out of a warriors box. First up we ofc have the basic blaster. Secondly you can take the shredder and cut the flanges off of the barrel. For someone looking to be more like a blaster, you could always cut the canister and put it in its correct place like the blaster. Next we have the blast pistol, with some easy transfering to a cut splinter rifle, makes blaster #3. Finally if you cut down the dark lance to the first rib in the gun, and shave a small bit to make a rounded tip, you have blaster #4.

Or you could just buy fire dragons, do some head swaps, and file down some spirit stones... but its your choice.

Beginners Army:

Ok, here is one Ive been almost preaching about. If anyone is thinking about getting into Dark Eldar, this is probably the best way to start. Its cheap for the size of the army, and pretty competitive to boot. Let me post the list first, then I will describe what it contains and how to use it.

150- Archon w/ Huskblade, Soultrap, Shadowfield, Combat Drugs, Haywires
223- 9 Wyches w/ Haywires, 1 Shardnet, Hekatrix w/ Agoniser; Raider w/ Flickerfields, Shock Prow
245- 10 Wyches w/ Haywires, 2 Wych Weapons (so either guantlets or razorflails, your choice) Hekatrix w/ Agoinser; Raider w/ Flickerfields, Shock Prow
190- 10 Warriors w/ Blaster, Splinter Cannon; Raider w/ Flickerfields, Splinter Racks
190- 10 Warriors w/ Blaster, Splinter Cannon; Raider w/ Flickerfields, Splinter Racks
78- 3 Reavers w/ Heat Lance
78- 3 Reavers w/ Heat Lance
115- Ravager w/ Flickerfields

Total- 1499 points

So this army is made from 2 Battleforces, 2 Raiders, 3 Ravagers, and 1 Archon blister. It gives you a chance to play with almost every trick in the DE handbook, and gives you a balance force to build apon and change to suit your tastes.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
alexwellace
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2012, 22:07

Could some 1 make a 500 pt army which is compettitive and fun for a new player, id like to see how'd mine would rank up.

thx
Back to top Go down
funkyfibes
Slave
funkyfibes

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11 2012, 04:02

I think this is a fantastic resource for the new denizens of Commorragh. A good place to start for most would probably a list developed from the Battleforce; adding on an HQ. It gives a little touch of most of the basic goodies that DE bring to the table. I am certainly not the person to do it, as I have never played a game. Could someone with more knowledge and experience use the Battleforce plus an HQ to flesh out a solid learning list for myself and others as a balanced guide to experience the tools we have to offer?

Thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11 2012, 11:34

A pretty fun 500 pts list would be something I used recently.

Haemonculus, Liquifier, Venom Blade, Shattershard - 80
Wracks x4 - 40
Venom w/ Splinter Cannon - 65

Kabalite Warriors x10, Sybarite, Shredder, Splinter Cannon - 115
Raider w/ DL and Flickerfield - 70

Kabalite Warriors x5, Sybarite, Blaster - 75
Venom w/ Splinter Cannon - 65

500 points total.

You can easily drop the Sybarites and get another blaster in the large gunboat and exchange Flickerfield for something else. This list gives a pretty nice look at many tricks the Dark Eldar can play with.

Fruz
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12 2012, 12:01

The only "problem" here is against vehicle, it's only 500 points army list, but if you face someone with many vehicles ( like transports ), that's not gonna be an easy rip wrecking them.
I don't have the codec here but I guess you could change the raider squad to a venom squad and add a scourge squads ( 5 gives already 2 Hrifles already which is not bad ), it gives a lot of poisons shots and a blaster each, not bad imo.

I've gone a bit beyond 500 points army as I'm new to DE and I have atm :

4 Incubi + Archon ( Klavex with DK, Archon with nightshield, agoniser, PGL, blast pistol )
venom ( w SC )

5 Trueborn ( 4 blasters )
venom ( w SC )

10 kabalite Warrior ( 1 blaster 1 SC, but I may try to use the shredder to see how it works with the new rapide fire rules )
Raider ( DL, FF )

10 kabalite warriors ( don't have a vehicle for them yet Sad, but I may buy a Talos and let them without transport for the moment ), blaster and SC

I have more kabalite warriors models for more versatility with building and army list.

What do you guys thinks about such a list ?

The next things I'm gonna buy would be scourges/Talos and maybe another venom or raider, I don't know yet.
Back to top Go down
Zanais
Kabalite Warrior
Zanais

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17 2012, 09:46

In venom spam list for upcoming tournament I can't decide betwen beast pack and another 5x kabalites with blaster in venom. My list is:
Baron
trueborn x3 with 2x blaster in venom
trueborn x3 with 2x blaster in venom
trueborn x3 with 2x sc in venom

kabal x5 + blaster in venom

ravager
ravager
voidraven bomber + 2x shatterfield missilies

Im thinking to change one kabal squad + venom for 4x kymera 2x razorwing and place baron there. But in such shooty list isnt it better to have another venom?
Another question, in VP mission, does every destroyed empty transport count as another VP point? It would mean VP mission like Purge the aliens, are something like KP in 5th edition, where we have to struggle to win? Razz

Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17 2012, 17:14

I really need to update my beginners army list... Ill do that sooner or later

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Crowbar
Hellion
Crowbar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 03:32

If i may.
1750 Point List

Here's a beginner guide from a beginner.

"This is my first time playing 40k in general, let alone the Dark Eldar"

Well....I'm in the same boa..gunship!

After hours upon hours of researching, asking questions, and playing 3 demo games at the Store with the store's Dark Eldar army. Myself and some fellow Commorraghians came up with this simple list to use. Basically you have groups of tank killers and groups of infantry killers, in a highly mobile, speed freak fashion. Keep it simple.

For you Dark Eldar Veterans reading this.. Please correct any mistakes or mis-tactica I give.

Here are the general guidelines I was given.
USE SPEED, FIGHT DIRTY, DON'T FORGET YOUR DRUGS MMMKAY
Here is the list:

HQ-DUKE
150PTS

TROOPS-X9 KABALITE WARRIORS W/ RAIDER W/ TORMENT LAUNCHERS, NS, SR, ENHANCED SAILS (HQ RIDE)
181PTS

TROOPS-X10 WYCHES W/ HWG, HEK, PGL, RAIDER W/ NS, SHOCK PROW
210PTS

TROOPS-X10 WYCHES W/ HWG, HEK, PGL, RADIER W/ NS, SHOCK PROW
210PTS

TROOPS-X10 KABAL WARRIORS W/ SC, RAIDER W/ NS, SR,
185PTS

TROOPS-X10 KABAL WARRIORS W/ SC, RAIDER W/ NS, SR,
185PTS

FAST ATTACK-X6 REAVERS W/ CHAMPION
142PTS

FAST ATTACK-X6 REAVERS W/ CHAMPION
142PTS

HEAVY SUPPORT-RAVAGER W/ NS
115PTS

115PTS

115PTS

SPEED - This army is capable of moving across the battlefield in one turn.
FIGHT DIRTY - Gang up on units when you assault them. Ex, 2 unit of wyches vs. their unit of space marines
DRUGS - Your Warlord, Wyches, and Reavers love drugs!!! Think about it like this, your warlord is a Drug lord (literally), the wyches are his hookers, and the Reavers are his biker gangs. Don't forget to give them drugs to do things for you!!

Here is some things to quick reference during gameplay

DARK ELDAR:
ARMY RULES
COMBAT DRUGS

-POWER FROM PAIN

-NIGHT VISION

-FLEET

**LANCE

Vehicle Rules/Guide

UNIT RULES
-DUKE: *****COMBAT DRUGS*****

-KABALITE WARRIOR:FLEET, NIGHT VISION, PAIN TOKENS (ANTI-INFANTRY, OBJECTIVE HOLDERS)

-WYCHES:*****COMBAT DRUGS*****, FLEET, NIGHTVISION, PAIN TOKENS, DODGE(4+ in close combat)

I'm sorry I'm probably missing a few things, but hopefully some of the experienced guys can edit this.
By the way, I believe to build an army like this, it would cost about $4-500 dollars if you find good deals on ebay.

Please read the forum rules about copyright infringement. Do not post the individual points costs of specific weapons or upgrades, do not post the entire stat line for every unit and character, do not post verbatim every rule that applies to the units you are describing.

Aside from the illegality of posting all of this, most users here are already quite familiar with the points and rules involved, and anyone who isn't should refer to a codex. Gob.

Back to top Go down
thelordcal
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 05:42

I think overall its an effective guide. However, it is against most forum policies to post unit specific entries, such as stats of wytches, warriors, and the duke. As well as weapon entries in a post. It violates GW copyright agreement.

Please read the forum rules. Backseat moderation is not allowed. If you see a post that is in violation of the rules please use the report button. Thank You - Baron T
Back to top Go down
Archon Rayd
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29 2012, 11:28

Hey guys, I;m quite new to DE and 40K In general.
I've gotten a codex and rule book I've read both several times.
I am now trying to build a list.
My first Question is I was trying to build a for fun list that will also be a bit competitive
I love all the coven units
plus Incubi, Reavers, Ravagers, and beast master.
does any1 know a good coven list that can incorporate a lot of these units?
I'm looking at start at 1000 pt.
I do not care to have warriors or wyches in the army, I know there essential sometimes.
Back to top Go down
ketamine
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03 2013, 13:45

Hello all,

How do pain tokens work?

my main question is say a squad of Warriors shout something causing wounds but doesnt finish the unit off. a second squad shoots the unit and finishes it off. Does the second squad recieve a pain token? or can either have the token?

Or are pain tokens only from close combat?

please can you clarify this for me.
Back to top Go down
ketamine
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03 2013, 13:52

inital plans for large purchase of Dark Eldar

2 Battle forces
2 raiders
2 venoms
wariors (trueborn)
archon - huskblade soultrap shadow field etc
succubus - agonizer
2 ravagers
razorwing
20 scourges

is this ok, I realise it is over 2000 points, but Im hoping it fits to my plans of step one stay in cover and kill vehicles, step 2 move in and kill squisheys.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04 2013, 16:06

A Pain Token is given to the squad who finishes off the unit. In your example the second squad would get it.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
ketamine
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04 2013, 16:08

Thanks for clarifying that shadows revenge. I'm glad there is a way to choose which unit gets the token
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27 2013, 23:30

What I really found difficult when starting up was getting enough transports for my DE. Which is why I used webway portals. Though this was back in 5th edition, and they are not as great anymore as they used to be, but maybe designing some beginner lists without many transports would help?

xxoblivionxx33
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22 2014, 22:24

is a dark elder list with no wyches viable?

i would like to have a 1000-1250 list that would hold its own with just kabalite stuff, no wracks or grotesques.
just kabalite warriors, true born, scourges, that kinda stuff. any pointers?
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23 2014, 00:41

xxoblivionxx33 wrote:
is a dark elder list with no wyches viable?

i would like to have a 1000-1250 list that would hold its own with just kabalite stuff, no wracks or grotesques.
just kabalite warriors, true born, scourges, that kinda stuff. any pointers?

Very viable

xxoblivionxx33
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23 2014, 01:00

what would it look like?
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 23 2014, 17:36

xxoblivionxx33 wrote:
what would it look like?

have a look at some of the Kabal armylists here on the forums. There should be some good ones there  Wink 

Skuggestorm
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24 2014, 21:28

Hello,

I'm considering starting up a small Dark Eldar force, but i'm a bit scared. A flirted with Dark Eldar in the past, as i love the Archon with Huskblade and soultrap (just my sort of killer), but more importantly, love the models.

So why am i scared? The Dark Eldar lists i have seen so far are rather spammy. If they take something they have a lot of it. Now i dont mind that with the troop choices, but i always like to have a bit of variation in the other slots. Also, i absolutely love the archon with incubi, but i have no idea how that works on the table. I hate it when the favorite models/rules just dont actually work properly on the table. There are ofcourse other worries, i have always played marines (chaos), and i'm just afraid i will not get the hang of Dark Eldar or that my opponents do not like playing them maybe?

So, what are your experiences concerning my fears? Can you give me the courage to make the leap?

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25 2014, 09:45

TO start with the spam, there are two ways to look at it. First, its not necessarily needed. You don't HAVE to spam anything, that's just the way some competitive lists work out to give them a decent chance in competitions. You can easily field a decent, balanced force without resorting to spam.
On the other hand, I at the moment tend to field four five man Warrior squads in Venoms. Some people might call that spam. BUT that still isn't very much points-wise. It's cheap enough to let me fill out the rest of the army with decent other things in crazy variations, so its not really an issue.

An Archon with Incubi is a mainstay for my army (usually - at the moment the Archon is being subbed out for Drazhar). Ok, you have the issue that they have no guns, but if you can get them into combat they are monsters. They eat through premiere combat and heavy infantry (Terminators) and I find them invaluable. What you'll want to do is put them in a well protected Raider (with either a Night Shield or Flickerfield, or both) and just do what you can to run them at the enemy. They are ONLY a combat unit, but they are very, very good at it. They will no doubt draw a fair bit of fire, and you may well lose a few before you even get close, but the few who make it will make the difference.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25 2014, 14:34

Skuggestorm wrote:
So, what are your experiences concerning my fears? Can you give me the courage to make the leap?
How competitive do you want to be and how much unit duplication = unpleasant spam in your mind?

We really only have two Troop choices currently, and Wyches have been hurt by 6th, so to a certain degree you are obligated to spam in your Troop section and should maximize Troops. After that...though it would be less competitive, you could easily take no more than 2 of the same thing in every other force org slot and still be able to do quite well in friendly and local tourney play.

Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25 2014, 19:24

Wracks are awesome Very Happy so use them. Plus I always have an Archon and Incubi in my army, so they're definitely useful.

Dark Eldar get very spammy because of the necessity of transports as well, and the fact that we only have two of them. If you want though you can try fielding a big blob of 20 Kabalite Warriors.

Skuggestorm
Slave

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26 2014, 08:28

I dont think i mind spamming KW that much. They are pretty useful and scoring. To boot, they have awesome miniatures and dont take up that many points.

What about 3 x10 Kabalite Warriors, with splintercannon and shatterer (think its called, tis the 5 point) in a raider with splinter racks and nightshields. (they do get a 5+ jink right?)

Then 2 units of 5 wyches in venoms, both with haywires. Keep cheap otherwise.

Then a unit of the Archon with Incubi in raider, with flickerfield and nightshields (i bet they get shot with ignore cover).

2 ravagers and a razorwing. Not sure about the upgrades needed here.

Then if points allow, a unit of 3 OR 6 Reavers, and a heammo with a unit of wracks also in a raider.

How does that sound? To me it only spams the troops. Altough, i feel my incubi, being so fragile, will need a 2nd unit for redundancy, not sure about the points, and it will cost me the reavers. Do i have 2 many troops, or is this good?

1 thing i read, was that Dark Eldar tend to win hard and fast, or lose. How is this to play against?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar   A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Beginners Guide To Starting Dark Eldar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next