THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reaver Tactica

Go down 
+5
Blind_Baku
Count Adhemar
Azdrubael
Lord Clazaryn
Mushkilla
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30 2012, 22:07

Over the coming month I will be putting together a in depth and thorough reaver tactica for the The Dark City. I recently guest wrote a Reaver Tactica for SkaredCast. I would greatly appreciate feedback, so I can improve my next incarnation of the Tacitca. What did I miss? What didn't you like? Was there anything you didn't agree with? What would you want to me to cover in greater detail? etc.

Part 1

I'll post a link to Part 2 when once it gets posted on the blog.

Thanks in advance. Smile

EDIT: Part 2 is up. And remember to rate the articles if you haven't already (the stars at the bottom). Please leave any feedback or suggestions in this topic. Smile

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that Azdrubael has kindly offered to translate this into russian for the russian 40k community! Thanks Azdrubael. Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell

Last edited by Mushkilla on Thu Oct 04 2012, 15:18; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 03:08

Are you going to talk about the possibility of reavers and allies? I'm thinking of using a doom seer on jet bike to accompany a unit of nine reavers with cluster caltrops so the seer dooms the unit allowing re rolls and as reavers don't use bs in their bladevanes, re roll to wound would be the most useful. From the master of reavers, is this a decent tactic?

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 06:47

Looking forward to part 2.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 08:01

Lord Clazaryn wrote:
Are you going to talk about the possibility of reavers and allies? I'm thinking of using a doom seer on jet bike to accompany a unit of nine reavers with cluster caltrops so the seer dooms the unit allowing re rolls and as reavers don't use bs in their bladevanes, re roll to wound would be the most useful. From the master of reavers, is this a decent tactic?

I'm hardly a master, I just use them a lot. People shouldn't follow what I say blindly, they should experiment with what they think will work. All I'm doing is sharing my experience with the unit. For example just because I run units of nine doesn't mean running a unit of six doesn't have it's place or uses.

To answer your questions Doom works very well with reavers, however if I were using doom I wouldn't bother getting cluster caltrops. Re-rolling a 2+ is only a 14% increase in damage whereas re-rolling a 4+ is a 25% increase in damage. To give you an idea nine reavers bladevaning a Doomed unit is like giving them three cluster caltrops for free (against T4 units). So in my opinion save the points. Doom also really boosts the effectiveness of reaver shooting and assault. My only issue with Doom and psychic powers in general, is it creates a single point of failure. You relying on Doom to make your army more powerful, but to cast doom you need to pass a psychic test and your opponent will also get a 5-6+ deny the wych roll depending on their own psykers. Still that's just my issue with psychic powers in general, doom is still a very powerful and viable strategy.

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 13:03

Part 1 looks good. I'm hoping to get my Reavers painted up soon and start to use them a bit so any tactics are most welcome!

Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 13:51

Told ya before, but felt it worth posting, Great article Mush!
Back to top Go down
Bookkeeper
Hellion
Bookkeeper

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 14:57

One thing you might want to mention when talking about Reaver movement is that a group of 6-9 of them actually does take up a lot of table real estate, which is, of course, one of the reasons they make such good screeners. It's important when using them to flit around the table because you've got to keep your eye open for spaces that are going to allow them to land comfortably and/or provide cover from fly-swatting artillery.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 15:09

Bookkeeper wrote:
One thing you might want to mention when talking about Reaver movement is that a group of 6-9 of them actually does take up a lot of table real estate, which is, of course, one of the reasons they make such good screeners. It's important when using them to flit around the table because you've got to keep your eye open for spaces that are going to allow them to land comfortably and/or provide cover from fly-swatting artillery.

True. That being said I'm always amazed at the small spaces you can fit 9 reavers into considering they have those small bases, and often are at different heights. Generally the problem with artillery(barrage weapons) is that they are very good snipers. If you are bunched up that one reaver at the centre of the blast is going to have to pass a lot of saves (because wounds are allocated from the centre of the blast). The best you can do is position your special weapons so that if your opponent centres the blast on them he will be hitting less models then if he centred the blast on a normal reaver (this is assuming you can't afford to spread out too much).

EDIT: Part 2 is up. And remember to rate the articles if you haven't already (the stars at the bottom). Please leave any feedback or suggestions in this topic. Smile

Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 19:39

a good job Mush, keep these things coming and maybe your soon top me or even the vaulted Thor Razz

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 09:22

Nice read. Thanks for all the input. I just wish we could mount an HQ on a bike.

Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 14:17

Black Death wrote:
Nice read. Thanks for all the input. I just wish we could mount an HQ on a bike.

Mushkilla wrote:
The most important thing to remember about bladevanes is that you don't have to use them! Don't bladevane if it leaves your reavers in an exposed position.
AMEN!

No talk about the other option? I saw Caltrops...

Back to top Go down
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 14:31

Thanks a lot for two good articles Smile
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 14:37

Quote :
Please leave any feedback or suggestions in this topic.
Great read ) Translation going well.

Next step can be good combinations of units with Reavers.

And Dao-Reaver - steps to do against:

1) Defensive Gunline
2) Drop army
3) Assault Army
4) Flyer army

Then it will be defenitive guide to all things chopping heads at 3200 km/h.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 15:12

Thanks, Azdrubael I will make sure to include that in the next version (probably going to be a small book). Glad to hear the translation is going well. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reaver Tactica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaver Tactica   Reaver Tactica I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reaver Tactica
Page 1 of 1