THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6

Go down 
+22
misanthrope
Ailaros
Darkgreen Pirate
Gobsmakked
orestes85
The Crystal Archon
ArmchairOrrery
Panic_Puppet
Salvarin
seggygetshyphy
Anterzhul
Unorthodoxy
Vindicavi
Cakeaunoob
Haagrum
Lady Malys
KnightSeerValkia
dokclaw
Baron Tordeck
Jimsolo
clively
Thor665
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 19:59

A quick question - is it permitted / allowed / desirable / undesirable to comment on the competition entries? I wouldn't want to seem to be trying to influence anything, especially if I do enter, so I held off from doing so in case it wasn't the done thing :O

I have only good things to say, but don't want to say them if it's not appropriate Smile

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 20:07

Lady Malys wrote:
A quick question - is it permitted / allowed / desirable / undesirable to comment on the competition entries? I wouldn't want to seem to be trying to influence anything, especially if I do enter, so I held off from doing so in case it wasn't the done thing :O

I have only good things to say, but don't want to say them if it's not appropriate Smile
I actually fully encourage commentary - and even support edits and revisions prior to the deadline (after the deadline and then we have a problem Wink )

As I recall last year we had a few solid commentators and I think they helped.

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 21:56

Righto, good to know. Thanks for responding.

Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 22:09

Kay so I will enter this contest in the spirit of brotherhood and solidarity. I must needs prove my mettle to my fellow archons!

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 09 2014, 01:19

Indeed.

Also, as a gentle reminder to everyone. This contest is now a week old, meaning the vast 5 weeks you once had is now down to about 4 weeks to write your story. Still plenty of time...for now Wink

Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 09 2014, 04:39

Here's my entry. Hope I did it right.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9251-despair-2nd-annual-fiction-competition

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 09 2014, 15:17

As long as it's a story, is 500 words or less, and uses the theme word somehow - I like your odds of having done it right Wink

Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 09 2014, 18:44

Saweet! And thank you LadyMalys for giving me a little inspiration for some minor changes with your comments. It was insightful.

Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 11 2014, 18:28

Here's mine: The Locket, 500 words perfectly
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 11 2014, 20:02

That takes us up to seven submissions thus far.

Last year we got twelve (well, 13 if you count a submission that wasn't properly done, and 15 if you also count multiple stories by the same author) - so we don't have far to go to equal or exceed that number (especially if everyone who has told me they plan to write a story writes one) I'm pretty excited about this!

Back to top Go down
Cakeaunoob
Cake Who Thirsts
Cakeaunoob

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 11 2014, 20:22

I'm looking forward to the other entries! Smile

The Trickster
The Usurper
Back to top Go down
http://cakeaunoob.deviantart.com
seggygetshyphy
Slave
seggygetshyphy

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2014, 03:12

Here's my entry: Datura of the Cult of Lechery

The first draft was more like 640 something words. If anybody is interested in a director's cut (puns) after the competition is over, let me know and I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
Salvarin
Slave
Salvarin

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2014, 18:11

I'm a lurker that made an account for this competition. I hope I am still viable for an entry. Anyways here is the link to my story.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9276-the-cordwainer-secrets-of-the-hidden-library-2nd-annual-fiction-competition
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2014, 19:05

I look forward to both, the titles are already interesting.

@Salvarin - there is no entry requirements beyond writing the story. Glad to have you de-lurk to join the festivities!

Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2014, 20:12

Thor665 wrote:
Indeed.

Also, as a gentle reminder to everyone. This contest is now a week old, meaning the vast 5 weeks you once had is now down to about 4 weeks to write your story. Still plenty of time...for now Wink

Pfft. I did 20,000 words in 6 weeks once. 500 in 4 weeks is child's play!

(Watch as I proceed to think this for the next month and manage to never actually submit anything)
Back to top Go down
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2014, 22:37

As a student, I can assure you that 3000-4000 in one evening is easily doable

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 08:35

Here's a question I have: when there's a difference, is British spelling appropriate, American spelling, or are either acceptable? I only ask because there's a technical component to the scoring.
Back to top Go down
Cakeaunoob
Cake Who Thirsts
Cakeaunoob

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 08:46

I would assume that either is ok so long as we're consistent with it?

The Trickster
The Usurper
Back to top Go down
http://cakeaunoob.deviantart.com
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 08:47

That's what I guessed, but I just wanted to make double sure before judgment day is upon us.  

And here's my own entry, by the way: The Pride of Chogoris.
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 11:23

We understand we are a diverse forum, I dont foresee any of the judges docking points to anyone that spells armor as armour, etc.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 16:14

As long as the word is spelled correctly - I plan to adjust no points.
I say this with the understanding that some words have multiple correct spellings.

Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 20:59

Glad that's been sorted.

Here's my second contribution to the competition: Best Served Cold

(apparently, late nights feeding a baby trigger my creative impulses)
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 21:12

Thor665 wrote:
You may write more than one entry, but must indicate to judges which entry you are submitting for judging, you may change your mind at any point up until deadline.
Just a reminder for you Haagrum.

Only one entry will be judged per poster.

Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 13 2014, 21:16

Thor665 wrote:
Thor665 wrote:
You may write more than one entry, but must indicate to judges which entry you are submitting for judging, you may change your mind at any point up until deadline.
Just a reminder for you Haagrum.

Only one entry will be judged per poster.

Thanks, and understood, Thor665. I knew that this was the case prior to writing the second piece.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'd prefer my first entry to be the judged entry. I'll let you know if that changes.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 14 2014, 00:37

I copy that.

I suggest polling your audience to make sure...just beware if any of them are also in the contest Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next