THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Arcane Wargear Discussion

Go down 
+3
Sorrowshard
Kinnay
TheDuke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDuke
Hellion
TheDuke

Arcane Wargear Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27 2011, 20:37

Hey all, this is a thread for the discussion of Arcane Wargear in the DE codex.

Archangel of Pain
At first glance this doesn't look very useful thanks to it relying on Ld to work. However, in conjunction with Torment greande launchers this thing could be quite potent. The best way to use this will be so your units without grenades, Incubi, mandrakes and the like, can strike against a unit they assault in cover at the same time rather than after they have been hit by the enemy. It's also worth ntoing the Archangel wll on average have a range of 11" (3D6).

Animus Vitae
The main downside with this thing is that it is a special close comat weapon so therefore you will be hitting a strength 3. This thing would be deadly in conjunction with a Soultrap and Huskblade/Flesh Gauntlet, when he is fully stocked up on tokens your Haemonculi could jump from nearby unit to unit sharing the pain, while increasing his strength (true, onlyif there are any IC and MC) to make it easier to stack up tokens.

Casket of Flensing
This little device is a bundle of fun, it can be used to thin down a enemy squad/horde nearby. It's only issue is you have to roll to hit, but at BS4 you should find a few shots hit the mark. The average roll of 2D6 is 7, so your looking for about 4-5 hits on average so not to shabby. It's also worth noting that the number of hits will be even greater if this is used on a Ancient. (BS5)

Crucible of Malediction
This suffers from the issues that the Archangel of Pain suffers from, random range and dependent on the enemy failing Ld. Use TGL on your vehicles to up the odds of sucess. While it is not the ultimate powerhouse everyone hoped it would be against GK it is still pretty deadly. Having the abilty to pop the squad leader from every nearby squad is not to shabby.

Dark Gate
So one crazy Haemonculus decided to bring a nuke to the battlefield, shall I continue. I suppose I shall, a Str 10 large blast is nothing to sniffed at despite the AP -. The Dark Gate is partically brutal against IG chimera spam armies where there vehicles tend to get clumped up due to lack of space on the table, giving you the ability to harn a few tanks at once if your lucky.

Flesh Gauntlet
The best way to sum up the Flesh Gauntlet is that someone put a slighty nerfed husblade and a agonizer together and then removed the power weapon part. This is not a bad choice and is a viable cheaper alternative to the Huskblade if you want a Instant Death inflicting weapon on you Haemonculus. The best place for this are on a Aberiation and an Ancient.

Hexrifle
This is a nifty piece of wargear as having the abilty to one shot any MC in the game is just wonderful. However, having one in your army is just not enough, if you want to take the Hexrifle than take at least 3 across your army as this will increase the changes of them doing something useful. By the way did I mention there deadly against GK paladins if you have enough of them. Wink

Liquifier Gun
These things are just smexy, imagine somebody took a flamer for thining out hordes, which everyone loves (the flamer that is, not the horde I pretty sure no one like seeing a horde Razz ) and then decieded that it should have a 50% chance of roasting a marine squad. If your unit has an option for this, take it. Unless it's a haemonculus in my book as I like to take other shiny gear.

Orb of Despair
A shorter range version of The Dark Gate except with AP1, this is actually or best bet at dealling with Monoliths and Blessed Hull Land Raider but the short range hampers it. This will be best served with a webway portal and a siding of Beastmasters to gobble up anything that was inside.

Scissorhand
This thing looks great on paper, but to be honest a venom blade is a third of the cost, does not take up an arcane wargear slot and has a better poision value. (2+ rather than 3+). However, the Scissorhand does allow to throw out a lot more poison attacks than the venom blade would.

Shattershard
This thing is fantastic, it is the bane of deathstars like Ork Nob bikers and Paladins, you know the units that don't like losing a few models at ago. Yes it relies on toughness, but more often on not it will earn it's points cost back.

Stinger Pistol
To be honest this thing should be free, however having a 2+ poisioned shot could be useful for the cost of half a wrack I suppose. (sarcasm)

Please dicuss.

TheDuke
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 07:15

Somewhat on the run here, so no in-depth analysis of what you've written. One thing though: I couldn't help but notice that the Orb of Despair isn't a 'shorter range version of the Dark Gate', but rather something else entirely. It uses only the small blast template and - the most important difference - wounds against the target's leadership, rather against its toughness. The weapon's description even states that models without leadership (i.e. vehicles) are unaffected by it.
So I'm afraid those pesky Monoliths and Blessed Hull Land Raiders still are best handled with Haywire.
Back to top Go down
Sorrowshard
Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 09:30

This requires little discussion really , barring a few stand-out 'good' items which we all use the Arcane wargear section is a big F you to the DE,

These are obviously supposed to be some kind of consolation for no psychic power, unfortunately they are all universally worse than psy powers , they all cost too much and do to little and are on use only, some of them are so very bad i would not take them if they were free as their ineffectualness actually gets my goat (Crucible of malediction)

I mean christ what is the point of a str 10 ap one attack that does not effect vehicles.

Urge...to...kill...rising

If I'm going to pay for a one shot, it better damn well do something, and these don't.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 11:57

Good point actually. Why does the Orb of Despair have AP1, if it can't affect vehicles? Isn't AP1 exclusively for them?
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 13:00

I think arcane wargear was somthing for psy powers, but since we are xenos we cant have things better than Imperium.....thus..most of them sucks.

Some of them are usefull but not even half of them....such a pity.
Back to top Go down
Lightcavalier
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 14:04

I did notice one handy thing...if you set of the Crucible or Archangel whistl in a transport you would measure the distance from the hull of your raider
Back to top Go down
TheDuke
Hellion
TheDuke

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2011, 14:59

Kinnay wrote:
Somewhat on the run here, so no in-depth analysis of what you've written. One thing though: I couldn't help but notice that the Orb of Despair isn't a 'shorter range version of the Dark Gate', but rather something else entirely. It uses only the small blast template and - the most important difference - wounds against the target's leadership, rather against its toughness. The weapon's description even states that models without leadership (i.e. vehicles) are unaffected by it.
So I'm afraid those pesky Monoliths and Blessed Hull Land Raiders still are best handled with Haywire.

Ah yes indeed i didn't notice that, in that case i can't see the point in it as the dark Gate is about 10x better even with AP-.

TheDuke
Back to top Go down
Sorrowshard
Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 21:21

Here's a thought , technically GK vehicles have an LD Value ? Orb of Despair opportunity ?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 21:40

Specifically in their codex it notes the Ld value only exists for the purposes of psychic tests and psychic hoods, so no dice for the Orb I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2011, 21:50

Lightcavalier wrote:
I did notice one handy thing...if you set of the Crucible or Archangel whistl in a transport you would measure the distance from the hull of your raider

This is correct (same apply to nearly all actions). For same reason You may ask any Ork player with Baneblade-sized Battlewagon with KFF inside to use stock model*

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arcane Wargear Discussion   Arcane Wargear Discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arcane Wargear Discussion
Page 1 of 1