THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Razorwing and general aircraft queries

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Razorwing and general aircraft queries Empty
PostSubject: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 11:07

Since the last time I played against aircraft in 4th edition, the rules have obviously changed - I like how you can start them on the table or (in the case of the Razorwing) deep strike them. However, the simplification of the rules throws up some issues - now that it counts as a skimmer, presumably that means it can't finish its move over difficult terrain? This seems utterly ridiculous, as it's not like other skimmers that apparently land between turns. This means that your Razorwing could turn up on a deep strike and crash and burn, presumably because it tries to land for some reason. I mean, what's it doing? Turning up, landing, firing, then taking off again so it's flying when it's immobilised and crashes? If this is the case, aircraft need a fix, surely?
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 12:37

The thing is - its not an aircraft in the rules - its a skimmer... albeit with a fairly high base!

The 5th ed rules don't really support it well - wait till 6th some time next year and expect it cleared up and sorted.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 13:04

Indeed... I'm not sure if new edition will support "stop over impassible terrain" (because of "wobbly model" syndrome), but for sure they fix them...

I mean marines have them, so why not?
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 14:12

Marine aircraft have the ability to stop over impassable terrain? When Eldar tech is supposed to be amongst the most advanced in the universe? That hardly seems fair!

Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 17:33

Storm Raven still follow skimmer rules.
Actually I was refering to fact that since SM got their Brickoeing, GW pretty much have to include flyers in new ruleset.

We don't want to upset powergamers Marines, no?
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17 2011, 21:20

Every skimmer, jetbike and jump infantry has the abillity to stop over impassable terrain, as long as the model can actually be placed on it. This limitation is reasonable imho, what would you do with a model that is in a place, it can't be placed.
It's like the rule, that models can't move through spaces, that are smaller than their bases. Obviously, they could worm their way through much smaller openings, but it is just not usefull in a game, to asume what could be, but can't be done.

By the way, no skimmer lands between it's moves, this assumption originates from the 'moving skimmers' paragraph on page 71 in the BRB, that says, that skimmers must be set down at the end of their move and can't be left hovering in mid-air.
This follows the same mindset, in theory a skimmer could alter it's height while moving, could fly high to shoot over a building or low to hide behind a small wall, but to make the game simpler it is impossible to do this in the game. And afaik this will not change, neither in the next edition, nor in any future ones, as long as it is not playable.

Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18 2011, 13:16

Now that you put it like that, I can see the need for it being the way it is. Where would it end? You'd never be able to hit aircraft, as the controlling player would argue it was behind a building, but then they could hit you when they said it hovered higher. I'll just have to position it carefully - it's going up against a Defiler next week. Yay.

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing and general aircraft queries   Razorwing and general aircraft queries I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Razorwing and general aircraft queries
Page 1 of 1