THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)

Go down 
+14
rider
Asrodrig
Lysis
Torpedo Vegas
horrid
Local_Ork
The Strange Dude
Radium
darkmark
Todo13
Despiciens
Xelkireth
shadow hunter
Saintspirit
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 09:01

Saintspirit wrote:

Poodles, I guess. With their fur.

Any dog that requires you to wash its fur, really.
But my point was everyone has a hairdryer at home so it's no problem to have to use that to fix some warpage on your resin models Razz.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 17:51

*shrug* I'm not a dog person.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 18:40

I use Darklight... erm, halogen lamp to heat resin models (and instantly "bake" epoxy putty).
They are gold.

Hairdryer works too tho. Or cup of boiling water (I guess Finecast is not so lethal as my resin, I use separate metal cup to NOT drink that stuff later).
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30 2011, 12:41

Bought Lelith model while ago Twisted Evil

While I would not give pictures here are my thoughts:

It is Finecrap. I mean really, it's tragic. While I like fact you just CAN'T break smaller pieces (they can bend quite a lot and thicker are sturdy) the air boubbles... she have damaged hairs, spikes (and she have quite a lot of them) and toes/fingers. She also have quite bad looking mold lines between details (yeah, fix that).
Anyway don't believe in "fine quality" crap or that those things can be fixed with "a tip of superglue" or painting (except painting them so the ylook like snowman)
Overall I would like to have her in metal. MAYBE Finecrap may work for detailless Terminator armours, but probably I will dump her ASAP. You may experience damaged hooks, chains and "empty" rivets when working with other models too.

So for me finecast is failure of year.

[edit]
No problems with returns tho (and I bought her from retailer, not GW directly). I guess at some point (after XX% of returns) they would tight their quality control and we DO get higher quality than metal.

So first feeling is... mixed. Models are (mostly) indeed good, but quality of production... just exactly opposite than plastics (mostly conception is "meh", yet executed with finest quality)
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2011, 17:16

Yay, freaking win!
Wait, no, that opposite thing.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 02:16

I expect GW to crack down on QC. I can't see a company allowing so many returns. Having worked in a warehouse/packaging plant, the plant foreman would be pissed, not to mention the owners. Heads would have rolled.
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 03:16

If the quality doesn't get better they will be wasting a lot of money with returned ones. But hey if you get a finecast model who's casting you don't like just send it to me, I don't mind really…
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 03:47

Xelkireth wrote:
I expect GW to crack down on QC. I can't see a company allowing so many returns. Having worked in a warehouse/packaging plant, the plant foreman would be pissed, not to mention the owners. Heads would have rolled.

I totally hope so. Really, it would be better for Gaming Worldwide than CEO letter on BoLS

My advice - never, EVER buy Finecast from internet and always ask if you can return models if it is Failcast. And if ther is even one, tiny boubble, (even those you can manage) please return it. This is best method for GW attitude.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 04:00

Local_Ork wrote:
And if ther is even one, tiny boubble, (even those you can manage) please return it. This is best method for GW attitude.
If there are tiny bubbles, that's part of the inherent risk of working with resin. Don't be a jerk. Fill it in with glue or greenstuff.
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 09:26

I wouldn't be bothered by bubbles etc which can be covered/filled and put the model back to its original intention. However any lost detail (missing spikes, toes hair whatever) will be returned.

I wasn't going to buy the incubi - but I am tempted now they aren't metal. I find metal annoying to game with - and if the quality is good I will put up with the increase in price. Plus I want to have a look at the new stuff.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 09:31

shadow hunter wrote:
I wouldn't be bothered by bubbles etc which can be covered/filled and put the model back to its original intention. However any lost detail (missing spikes, toes hair whatever) will be returned.

I wasn't going to buy the incubi - but I am tempted now they aren't metal. I find metal annoying to game with - and if the quality is good I will put up with the increase in price. Plus I want to have a look at the new stuff.
I wish I hadn't bought the metal ones. Stupid Finecast not being announced until it was too late. Now I'm stuck with two boxes of them that I'm dreading to assemble.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 12:31

Xelkireth wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:
And if ther is even one, tiny boubble, (even those you can manage) please return it. This is best method for GW attitude.
If there are tiny bubbles, that's part of the inherent risk of working with resin. Don't be a jerk. Fill it in with glue or greenstuff.

Yes, inherent resin flaws, first bath, etc.

Well, that's too bad for them then. I payed MORE than for models that don't have those problems. I'm not jerk, I'm player that bought crap (I must sculpt details? how about I sculpt whole model then?) in premium price and is pissed about it.

FW, MAS, Kromelch and many other brands can manage that somehow (I don't know, they actually have QC?).

Also, You did good You've picked metal Incubi. Dude from My LGS had 1 (out of 6 he ordered) box that had most (not all, just most) of spikes.

Last edited by Local_Ork on Thu Jun 02 2011, 12:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 12:45

Local_Ork wrote:
Xelkireth wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:

Yes, inherent resin flaws, first bath, etc.

Well, that's too bad for them then. I payed MORE than for models that don't have those problems. I'm not jerk, I'm player that bought crap (I must sculpt details? how about I sculpt whole model then?) in premium price and is pissed about it.

FW can manage that somehow (I don't know, they have QC?).

Also, You did good You've picked metal Incubi. Dude from My LGS had 1 (out of 6 he ordered) box that had most (not all, just most) of spikes.
I understand your anger. I really do, I just don't think it's worth getting all up in arms about it. Return it, get another one. Problem solved. GW's customer service has always been outstanding. Contact them and they'll probably send you another model, letting you keep the one you bought, if there's anything salvageable.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 16:35

No no no, my point is to teach GW economics... using baseball bat. Most people like to whine they get [insert approprieate word for "poor quality" here], but at the same time they agree to recieve it. They are just too spineless to actually say anything. This is why world is ["poor quality"] place. People just don't give damn while they actually should.

Believe me, I've made 100+ resin models for myself, so I *know* air boubbles occour.

However I'm pissed they pack mold-made models with mostly medicore sculpts that should be thrown away due to casting mistakes and charge as much as for hand poured, checked miniatures with superb sculpts. Now GW is "more expensive" than FW, since you get worse product for same price.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Red_Scorpions/COMMANDER-CULLN-OF-THE-RED-SCORPIONS.html

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1190019a

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Orks/ORK-MEK-BOSS-BUZZGOB.html
(note you get 2 grot models, which could count as 1 due to small size)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1160032a

I hope this don't sound like Cave Johnson lemon-rage
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 16:45

*in a southern Evangelical preacher voice*
At laaaaaaaassssssttttttt.... *dramatic pause* I seeee the light! Hallelujah!

Sorry. I guess I missed that and was a little thick-headed. I see your point. I don't browse Forgeworld very often. That's ludicrous their models beat GW's, are better casted, and are cheaper. WTF?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 19:05

This is EXACTLY what you get when people don't bitch and moan about prices and/or quality and still but plastic/resin "crack cocaine". Here you go, sniff some glass powder druggie. Yes, it's strong stuff since You bleed, not because it's freakkin glass, yes? Good... See You tomorrow, price will rise besause of... erm... ... because it's full moon!

Sorry for that drug reference and ultimate dose of nerd rage, could not resist.

I hope GW will fall into "more returns? Shi... Ok, just raise price to make profit" loop without raising quality. That would be sad, but also hilarious at the same time (I study econometrics)
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 19:17

Do you want to see my pics of my Finecast Archon and Lelith?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 19:34

Well, that would be informative. As I've said DE models are really ungrateful to cast so I'm curious. For example in My LGS owner show only one Incubi, since he already discarded rest (picked 6 of most FC range) with huge miscasts. Hope You had better luck.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 19:48

I've thrown it up here.
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 04:27

I guess I did luck out, but my foray in finecast models went very well. No more miscasts than their normal metal (which, lets be honest, have always had their share of flash and bending.). I think we should give it some time before a verdict is reached, and take into account that people who didn't have problems aren't as likely to comment on it.

Price wise, I really don't mind, GW's prices are at the same level as other game companies (Privateer and the Infinity guys come to mind), you just happen to "need" more stuff, which is a self imposed aspect, as the game is very fun at small (500) point levels.

One thing I didn't like was how bendy the material is. It's gonna make transport a pain (more so than normal, all these spikes tend to do that.)

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 11:12

Quote :
One thing I didn't like was how bendy the material is.
This! Damn, is it annoying! Sure, the metal models was a bit bendy too, but unlike the metal models, it is bendy in an inconvenient way. It bends back!

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 13:16

Not if You leve it at sun Wink

http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-leave-finecast-in-sun.html

There are rumors that GW get sooo many returns that they gonna check next batch.
I don't know if I should be happy or even trust that, but it would be "good for hobby" if they would do that.
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 17:49

Living in Florida makes you wary of the sun. I've known people who've had their plastics melt in the heat, so its no surprise to me that resin would.

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 18:56

That guys that left is stuff in the sun has some sever mental deficiencies. In what would, would you think that something that pliable and soft, would be okay left out in the sun for prolonged periods of time?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 19:12

Funnt thing, but I always leave my resin at balcony for few days, so they may "stink out" there...

Never had problems any problems, even now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)   Citadel Finecast... (Not happy) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Citadel Finecast... (Not happy)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next