THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Need help on a paint scheme

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Crimson Raider
Slave
Crimson Raider

Need help on a paint scheme Empty
PostSubject: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 03:17

Well currently i am starting to collect Dark Eldar and i am currently trying to figure what color i should paint them in i was thinking a dark blue and red scheme. however i don't know how that would look on kabalite armor.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 08:48

When I chose a paint scheme, I sacrificed some Warriors to test it. But I played iron Warriors before and I got sick of metal all the way so I wanted more color. If you're not 100% satisfied, you can still give the Sybarite and elite units a different paint scheme. I did this and it looks quite nice, especially if you give them the complementary color.

Slave
Crimson Raider

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 17:24

Well the list i am building does not have sybarite in the warrior squads but i do have trueborn with blaster. i think it will be a fun list but i don't see myself wining with it much. Also to be clear i don't win much with 40k anyway so nothing new for me
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 18:50

I lost and lost too at the beginning. Now I'm good at my local gaming group. So keep your head up.

You're not playing Craftworld, so take it as a challenge!

Slave
Crimson Raider

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 19:18

um regardless the army i play i tend too lose and for a challenge i use to play late 5th edition to mid 6th edition fluffy thousand sons talk about a hard army to play, yeah i got ap 3 boltguns and that's about it
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 21:38

Welcome aboard Crimson Raider.

Colour schemes can be very diverse with Dark Eldar. A helpful piece of advice is to look at opposites on the colour wheel as they contrast each other really nicely; black with white, orange and blue, yellow and grey etc. I think red and dark blue could be quite successful as it does just that. Before you commit to a scheme though, try it out with a few models as CptMetal describes.

As for games themselves, feel free to check out the guides on Dark Eldar playing here on the forums.

You can find some of them out here.

Happy hunting

"Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire."
Back to top Go down
Crimson Raider
Slave
Crimson Raider

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 22:04

well i could try the scheme on the few spare space marines i have at the moment i only currently have 2 dark eldar models a female archon and a wych, though the real issue i have with trying to play these is that they are glass cannon, jink helps to make them more survivable but then neuters there fire ablitiy which hurts. i mean there a very mobile army but when to commit and when to hold back is an issue with them
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29 2016, 23:29

I'm not sure blocky marines are a good comparison for the slender, pointy Dark Eldar.

A quick google search for red and blue Dark Eldar showed me this guy. I think it looks good; you could use it as a starting point, and focus on darker blue for the armour. Is this what you meant by blue and red, or did you want to split the armour like 50/50 between the colours?

Another option for checking out colour schemes is to have a look at some of the project logs and the Aphotic Gallery on The Dark City. There's a plethora of material there to look at for inspiration and colour ideas.

I know that the Codex colour scheme for the Lords of Iron Thorn have a blue and red colour scheme, with some silver in as well. Have a look at some of their stuff. You could simply skip out on the silver and replace it with black, or extend the blue or red to fill it in.

As for your comments on the playstyle, you're definitely right that we're glass cannon. Jinking isn't the only way to survive though. Shrewd use of cover and screening units gets us far:

- Putting some Reavers in front of your vehicles give them a 4+ cover save a lot of the time, and the Reavers themselves can jink for 3+ saves as they're skilled riders.
- If one of your skimmers HAS in fact jinked last turn, consider using its flat out move after your other units have fired to put it in front of them so they can get cover saves.
- Usually it's best not to jink with Venoms because they have a 5++ save. If you jink, your opponent can ignore it till his next turn since it's only snap shotting.

Just some food for thought. There's plenty of extra tips and help available on the many tactics threads.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire."
Back to top Go down
Crimson Raider
Slave
Crimson Raider

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02 2016, 01:19

well i just painted up a few models and i used a army painter primer its called crystal blue then used my exile blue and it made a nice contrast and then i used mephiston red and looks pretty good it will probably be the first unit shot this Sunday. got a tournament this weekend probably end up on the in last place again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help on a paint scheme   Need help on a paint scheme I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help on a paint scheme
Page 1 of 1