THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?

Go down 
+3
The_Burning_Eye
Squidmaster
WhysoSully
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WhysoSully
Kabalite Warrior
WhysoSully

How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? Empty
PostSubject: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 09:00

Thinking about shaving down my flying stems.. Am I evil? I have played against people who have done this but I never really cared, however it would be nice to have shorter stems, even just to be more sturdy.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 09:24

Most groups I've played with have been a bit annoyed wqith "movelling for advantage", and I can think of two occasions in tournaments I've heard the phrase (paraphrased) "Well you've modelled it this way, but the model SHOULD be about this tall, so I CAN see it".

http://www.escelionfilms.com
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 10:06

I agree with Squidmaster - if you're doing something so it looks cool and don't try to gain an advantage from it, fair enough (ie you model a wraithknight kneeling down aiming its guns, but accept that someone can see it as if it were standing). I can't really see what you'd gain from cutting down flying stems in that regard however, except making reavers look like they're daisy-cutting (which might be pretty good actually).

As long as it's not abused I'm largely ok with it, after all if you model something lower down then it will be able to see less as well (actually, reavers benefit at the moment from the FAQ about being able to shoot 'over' other units).

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 10:11

This is something that Infinity does very well. They use 'Silhouettes' which are basically perspex markers that you put down in place of your figure and use to check LOS etc. They are a standard size for each class of model and so it doesn't actually matter how the actual miniature is posed, as you can always use the silhouette if needed.

Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 12:49

How do I feel about it? I think it's cheating.

If you're willing to treat is as high as modeled for LOS, it doesn't matter. But if you do it to get an unfair advantage, that's cheating.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 13:30

It might help if you could post a comparison of an unaltered vehicle next to one where you've shaved a bit off the flying stand.

I mean, there's a difference between shaving a millimetre or two off the stand, and cutting it so that the Raider is barely off the ground. Wink
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 14:31

Jimsolo wrote:
How do I feel about it? I think it's cheating.

I would agree that it's modelling for advantage, unless all you're doing is making all models from a kit a uniform height that was available in the kit. For instance, I'm not sure about the new jetbikes, but the old eldar kit came with 3 different heights of stems. If someone modelled their army using only the small stems, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I mean, who are we to say? Someone may have 100 jetbikes, and they just picked 18 from their army that are all the short stems. What's the difference between the guy that owns 100 and just uses 18 short ones, and the guy who just makes 18 short ones to begin with?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 17:38

Sure, I suppose. Modeling it lower than it could be modeled on a standard base is when it becomes a problem.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 17:43

I absolutely agree. I heard of some guy that modelled a wraithknight prone, laying on it's belly with D-cannons forward. Haha
Back to top Go down
WhysoSully
Kabalite Warrior
WhysoSully

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitimeTue May 10 2016, 21:57

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
I absolutely agree. I heard of some guy that modelled a wraithknight prone, laying on it's belly with D-cannons forward. Haha

LMAO! Now thats funny. I faces some necron wraiths that were prone.

Interesting to see how people feel about this. To me its definitely a gray area seeing as if a template covers just one of my spikey bits on my raider, everyone inside is toast. If you can see my farseer's hand, you have LOS. My harlequins.... all standing on rocks for some reason... Just asking to get their head blown off.

There are lots of stuff that I think would just look cool to do, but not worth stressing my games over. Just sick of flying stems. They are so bad.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?   How do you guys feel about LOS modeling? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you guys feel about LOS modeling?
Page 1 of 1