THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?

Go down 
+2
amorrowlyday
Srota
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27 2017, 23:14

So, i will admit to my basis for this idea being somewhat limited, but my last game was with my slowly burgeoning ynnari and I ran some Harlequins Troupes in my troops slots, they seemed to do really well, especially as cover for my Solitaire, but they did outlast the mighty Elite slots during the game and saw a lot of success charging in and wounding with their caresses and kisses, before hit and running out behind cover if the unit doesn't die, then charging back in next turn, or forcing the opponent to come after them. By the end, they did see most success as overwatch shields for the solitaire as he charged in and wrecked face. They did earn their points back with one squad annihilating a Daemon Prince.

So my question to all of you is this? Do you think this is viable or do you think this is just an anomaly?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27 2017, 23:24

Sure! The only reason I ever suggested it wasn't was that taking them in either the Cast of Players or Cegorachs jest within the RW is simply better.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27 2017, 23:33

I would imagine so, the reason why I did not was that I only have the stuff from Death Masque in terms of harlies, plus I figured a dire avenger shrine was a better option for the +1 BS, in terms of formation slot.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27 2017, 23:58

1. You get an infinte number of formation slots.
2. You can build cegorachs jest from death masque and be 2/3rds of the way to a cast of players at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:01

Really? I had no idea about the infinite formations under RW, seems a little odd considering under formations it says "Choose only one from the following"
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:02

Yes. 1 of the following counts as 1 formation, same as all the other slots. Page before is where it says how many of each.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:04

Yeah but it mentions nothing about formations there at all.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:06

Yes. it. does. read. better. See Restrictions and read.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:07

I totally missed that bit, seems odd that they didn't include them with the rest of the slot choices.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:07

Agreed. But that's actual rules texts. everything else is ancillary.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:16

Very true, just difficult to really get a good handle on things when you're reading the rules at work lol.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:57

Don't worry about it, amigo.  It's pretty confusingly worded.  The 'One of the Following' bit has led to a fair amount of confusion.

Last edited by Jimsolo on Tue Feb 28 2017, 01:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2017, 00:58

Thanks mate, there's been some issues with the wording or so I've noticed LOL.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 10:52

I think that for harlequins to work you need rising crescendo so you can either run Cegirach's jest or the revenge formation. If you run the jest formation, you can't have shadowseers which can run and charge with the unit so they'll have those troupes havevto go in stareeavers. If you take the revenge, it's a massive points commitment to unite you might not want to tahre.

Reborn Warhost using Cegirach's Jest

Fraseer, skyrunner

3 Wind rider
3 windrider

Solitaire, Coraig's locket, HW

Cegirach's jest
5 troupe, 3 caress, hw, star weaver
3 skyweavers, glaives, hw cannnon
Voidweaver

Cegirach's jest
Voidweaver

Cegirach's jest
Voidweaver
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 12:25

With the new Ynnari faction I had almost forgotten how much I detest the Harlequin formations - until the above post.

Cegorach's Jest - tax of the useless bleedin' Voidweaver (and arguably the Skyweavers) and you can't join any other models to the Troupe if you want to use Rising Crescendo.

Cegorach's Revenge - oh, that's the same points cost as my entire army and I've still got to find at least 1 HQ and 2 Troop units in order to get it into a Reborn Warhost.

At least with a Reborn Warhost I can semi-simulate Rising Crescendo by getting a Soulburst additional move before charging.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 18:42

Yeah the restrictions on the harlequins are ridiculous. I had thought that a reborn warhost would be good as it allows you to take a HQ and troupes without the rest of the obligatory units but troupes on foot won't make it into combat without rising crescendo.

Im not a big fan of starweavers but it does seem from what I have read on forums that it's the most efficient way to run a troupe.
Back to top Go down
Happy_inquisitor
Slave
Happy_inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 16:58

Master crafted wrote:
Yeah the restrictions on the harlequins are ridiculous. I had thought that a reborn warhost would be good as it allows you to take a HQ and troupes without the rest of the obligatory units but troupes on foot won't make it into combat without rising crescendo.

Im not a big fan of starweavers but it does seem from what I have read on forums that it's the most efficient way to run a troupe.

I am still mentally digesting the FAQ but I think Troupes in Starweavers are the way to go. Flat-out into the grill of your opponent and dare them to shoot the transports - if they just wreck them you get to deploy 3" forwards and immediately declare a charge using a Soulburst action. Scary clown time.

Its going to hurt if they explode the Starweaver instead of wreck it - sad clown time.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 17:26

But will you be able to charge if you moved flat out? The FAQ is quite unclear.
Back to top Go down
Srota
Kabalite Warrior
Srota

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 17:57

I think the bigger boon from the fact is that you can charge out of melee, which means that if you can slay a unit with HOW attacks, the troupe can chew through 2 units per turn, though I have found that I think I prefer the kiss as their melee weapon over the other 2.

What do people think is the optimal load-out for a troupe? I run mine with 8 Kisses and 4 Embraces, with the Troupe Master having one of the Kisses.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:17

What do you think about moving flat out in the transport and then charge in the same turn using soulburst.
Back to top Go down
Happy_inquisitor
Slave
Happy_inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:27

Master crafted wrote:
But will you be able to charge if you moved flat out? The FAQ is quite unclear.

Why would going flat-out in a previous turn affect your ability to charge in this turn? It would take a very specific rule or FAQ to impose that sort of limitation across turns.

Obviously you are not going to be able to trick your way into going flat-out and charging on the same turn. What I am suggesting is parking a row of Ynnari assault vehicles in your opponent's face and giving them the mother of all headaches.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:30

If you go first, your opponent will be shootibabd destroying your transports in the first turn. If you turbo boosted up in your half of the first turn then you couldn't spulburst could you?
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:36

I don't think I was very clear in my last message.

Turn one. Harlequin player goes first. Flat outs his transports.
Turn one. Opponents half of the turn. Opponent destroys the troupes transport

Can the troupe charge with soulburst?
Back to top Go down
Happy_inquisitor
Slave
Happy_inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:47

Master crafted wrote:
I don't think I was very clear in my last message.

Turn one. Harlequin player goes first. Flat outs his transports.
Turn one. Opponents half of the turn. Opponent destroys the troupes transport

Can the troupe charge with soulburst?

I would say pretty clearly yes - it is a different turn. Unless stated otherwise turn refers to a player turn.
Back to top Go down
Master crafted
Slave
Master crafted

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 18:55

Is it though. Still turn 1.

This is what the FAQ says. Not a clear answer though

Q3: Can I Charge in the assault phase after Turbo Boosting/running or the turn I arrive from any type of reserves if I trigger a Soul Burst reaction in the same player turn? Also, can I charge a unit that is different than the one I fired at, with a Soul Burst reaction in the same player turn?

A3: No, the restrictions for charges are not ignored aside from which phase they can happen in per the Strength from Death special rule.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?   Troupes with ynnari, thoughts? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Troupes with ynnari, thoughts?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next