THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Paint Scheme feedback

Go down 
+6
Lord Nakariial
masamune
mightydoughnut
Cavash
lcfr
Mikoneo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikoneo
Kabalite Warrior
Mikoneo

Paint Scheme feedback  Empty
PostSubject: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08 2017, 19:26

I'm after some feedback on the paint scheme I've tried out on my kabalite. I'm not a good painter unfortunately, also excuse the fingers
Paint Scheme feedback  20170912
Back to top Go down
lcfr
Sybarite
lcfr

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08 2017, 20:47

Your painting actually looks really clear and smooth and consistent, you just need to develop some techniques if you want to add some more depth to it.

As a start, may I suggest even something as simple as a wash? Drakenhof Nightshade and Nuln Oil are both great and on the gold would make the model feel much more finished. But otherwise I think the purple and gold scheme is cool!
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08 2017, 21:09

I agree with lcfr. Your paints are smooth and well applied. You could also add depth by experimenting with drybrushing lighter shades, focussibg on edges, before applying washes. It is subtle and easy but really helps add an extra dimension Smile

Paint Scheme feedback  YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
mightydoughnut
Sybarite
mightydoughnut

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08 2017, 21:21

Yeah, a little color variety would also do wonders - paint eyes red for example, add some highlights etc. I strongly recommend Wargamer channel on youtube for fast and efficent learning, it taught me more in a few months than I learned on my own in two years.

masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11 2017, 14:27

Your color scheme is clear and efficient, but (to me) lacks some punch.

As your main color is purple, I'd recommand using blue as a complementary, or most likely green to keep things evil and dark eldary enough.

You can apply green to minor details (eyes, ribbons, drugs, gems) to easily create more variations / focal points / eyes candy.

Also if you want an easy insta-pop out for you minaitures, take time for your bases.
As your color scheme is mainly dark, I'd recommand a light one.

Desert is the quickest & simpliest (base zandri dust, shade agrax, drybrush bleached bone), but with some more effort snowy rocks should get better results (rocks : Mechanicus Standard Grey - Base
Nuln Oil - Shade, Dawnstone - drybrush, and for snow the easier is GW technical Valhallan Blizzard (there an official tutorial on youtoob).

If you feel confident enough, maybe take a look at lava bases, IMO it would look great with your army (and there lots of tuts on the internet, just pick a good one, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAZfgn0Coo ).

Don't hesitate if you got questions

Paint Scheme feedback  19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Paint Scheme feedback  4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Mikoneo
Kabalite Warrior
Mikoneo

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11 2017, 14:52

You can't tell from the picture, but I had painted the cloth sash in Kantor blue, and will likely do so on the other models, and for vehicles and reavers that have a bladed look to front of the model, I was intending to also paint in blue. I hadn't put much thought into the bases, but I wouldn't want them to be too flashy or bright, as I want the paint scheme to have a midnight raid feel to it, to reflect the personal fluff that the kabal almost exlusively launched night raids (90% of my games in 7th ended up being night fighting )
Back to top Go down
Lord Nakariial
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Nakariial

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 14:26

I parrot the idea of a Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade wash. It will really add depth and if you run over the gold and blue with just a little bit of hilight afterwards it will really help them pop Very Happy

Sybarite
wormfromhell

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 08:23

Yeh mate just chuck on some edge highlights and she'll be right mate. cyclops

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

PLOG- Ghosts of the Webway
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych
RedRegicide

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 18:45

I'm a weak painter, so i use a variety of colours on the armour so that i dont have to do a lot of edge highlighting. I have mine with different colours for knee, shoulder and arm guards. Id also paint that pump a vibrant colour

Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25 2017, 11:34

Then consider give a try to drybrush & lavis (on another miniature, for testing).

Quick and easy as pie, adds some contrast.
Just sure sure to remove most paint from your brush (paper towel) and to really don't add water.
If possible use a dedicated (flat) dry brush.

If you go gently on the beginning, you be able to master it pretty quickly Wink

Paint Scheme feedback  19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Paint Scheme feedback  4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
merse24
Kabalite Warrior
merse24

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25 2017, 18:41

Probably goes for any painting, but make sure your lighting is good when dry brushing. I dry brushed some scrouge wings the other day in poor lighting and didn't realize how much I was actually putting on. Ended up having to repaint the wings because of it.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25 2017, 21:09

I would suggest painting the little tube in the Splinter weapon, and using Aardcoat on it (that's something i do and i kinda like the look it gives). Really makes them look more like poison weaponry.

Wych
RedRegicide

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25 2017, 23:12

Mppqlmd wrote:
I would suggest painting the little tube in the Splinter weapon, and using Aardcoat on it (that's something i do and i kinda like the look it gives). Really makes them look more like poison weaponry.

I second that ^^

PostSubject: Re: Paint Scheme feedback    Paint Scheme feedback  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paint Scheme feedback
Page 1 of 1