THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)

Go down 
+3
Brisbane
Local_Ork
Evil Space Elves
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) Empty
PostSubject: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2011, 18:04

Finally got around to doing my Talos tail gun conversion for the Raider that I am painting for my Wracks. Actually remembered to take pics as I went along (in case I forgot how to do it for the next time!) and thought that I would share the pain:
I started by gluing in the gunner deck and then cut out the decking to make room for the tail to come from below in the hull.
Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-10-05_07-40-32_965
Note-I ended up later trimming out the banner mounting holes as well to make room for the tentacles.

To mount the tail I used a left over forearm guard from the Talos kit. The tail fits perfectly into the top end of the guard. This was to be cut to form the base below the hull.

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_08-20-32_311

I then trimmed the angle of the lower edge of the guard to accommodate the angle of the tail when installed. I made sure to put the sail in place to insure that they wouldn't interfere with each other too much.
Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_08-24-08_446
I simply put a decent amount of green stuff ( I use the GF9 brand) on the base before applying glue and simply pushing into place. I did have to trim off a little bit of the hull floor railing to make it flatter.
Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_08-33-21_446

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_08-35-44_892

I then took two left over tentacles from the Cronos pod and applied green stuff to then lightly before applying glue and simply pushing them into place under the curve of the hull. (This hides the greenstuff under the hull without showing while forming a good mounting)

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_09-27-45_550Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_08-43-39_174

The gun for the tail was fairly easy to do(Sorry, no pics). I simply cut barrels off of Kabalite DL's, removed the stinger pod barrels on the normal Talos gun mount, and glued them together. I used the gyro-balancing-thingies from the DL's to cover the hole where the DL normally mounts on the Raider. I tried to make a faceless, female torso with the little arms from the Talos to look like a living, nightmarish decoration on the front of a ship, but it really didn't take. I might tyr to figure out how to pull it off for Urien's personal ride.

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_09-27-27_931

Any thoughts/critiques/different ideas/ and of course- stealing is highly encouraged.

Edit:
Worked out the pilot. Wasn't sure if I wanted to modify the existing right arm or try something else. I opted with converting a little Talos arm to come out of his back and plug straight into the rudder. I like it.
Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-11_11-23-22_606

My Dark Eldar Project Log

Last edited by Evil Space Elves on Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:56; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 00:55

Oh, we have +1 modelling tutorial. Great job ESE!

I also may aid with Your... girl problem.
I may have 99 problems* but Wych ain't one Wink

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) Dollie10

May look funny (used black wash and fine sandpaper to spot "scratches") but it is good, with "stuff"....

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12 2011, 01:05

Local_Ork wrote:
Oh, we have +1 modelling tutorial. Great job ESE!

I also may aid with Your... girl problem.
I may have 99 problems* but Wych ain't one Wink

Extra pain points for the Jay Z reference. Cool

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19 2011, 19:35

It's done!(pretty much) Very Happy

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-19_11-14-36_423

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-19_11-14-53_861

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) 2011-11-19_11-15-13_233

Now to take a break from painting Raiders/Ravagers for a week or so.

Back to top Go down
Brisbane
Slave
Brisbane

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19 2011, 20:03

Very nice looking, man. Quite like the 'tatoos' Smile

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 03:19

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 08:25

It really looks great! Great paint job and great conversion ;-) even though im not a fan o the new weapon mount. It just does not feel right do me, but then again, i'm wired XD

Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15 2012, 13:36

This is SICK! Awesome in every way. The tentacles coming out from underneath really push it over the edge.

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22 2012, 00:13

Sometimes I just go into this thread to remind me how awesome some things in life is. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Viking
Hellion
Viking

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22 2012, 00:20

This is very cool!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22 2012, 01:06

brackish wrote:
Sometimes I just go into this thread to remind me how awesome some things in life is. Awesome.
WOW! It's like a public service Laughing I did have one opponent at the tournament complain that it looked like it was twin-linked and not WYSIWYG.... No

Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22 2012, 02:11

Evil Space Elves wrote:
WOW! It's like a public service Laughing I did have one opponent at the tournament complain that it looked like it was twin-linked and not WYSIWYG.... No

He was probably just jealous that his army didn't look as cool.

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22 2012, 02:14

Drago Galizur wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:

He was probably just jealous that his army didn't look as cool.
Spoken like a truly arrogant Archon: I like where your head's at Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)   Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raider Coven Wrack conversion tutorial ( very pic heavy!)
Page 1 of 1