THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Super-raider conversion HD

Go down 
+6
Bibitybopitybacon
Zaakath
Normski
Count Adhemar
soulthirster8
Maugarath D'harq
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

Super-raider conversion HD Empty
PostSubject: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 02:45

So I've been saving up spare bits for half a year now, and I'm finally ready to build myself a raider for my archon. He's not been happy having to share transport with the wyches. I apologize in advance if these pics are HUGE. I'm still new to forum coding.

So I started by building the base of a normal raider, and then adding a sail to the back. I had to cut out the rudder to make space.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur10
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur11

I had to cut the front of the sail a bit, to get it to fit in the small space.
Next I carved up 2 sails and stuck them together at an angle. This was such a pain, trying to get them together. I did this twice.

Super-raider conversion HD Pictur12
Once this was done, I carved up the sides to make them fit and glued them on the side.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur13
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur14
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur15

So what do you think? I've since added an Archon on a throne and steering, but I'll post that later.
Back to top Go down
soulthirster8
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 06:54

Nice! Where does the steersman stand on this thing? Smile
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 09:25

Loving the model!

Normski
Hellion
Normski

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 12:18

NIIIIIIIICE!!!!

good work!! ive had a plan to make one longer but still trying to figure out how?

yours looks very nice! cant wait to see finished product!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normski72/
Zaakath
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 13:59

Very nice, few of us will probably steal this idea mate.
Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 15:48

The idea isn't mine. I saw something similar with one sail on Dakka Dakka. I just extended the original design. I would advise against trying to extend a raider. I tried, and that's part of the reason I have so many spare parts.

Since then I've added a chair for my Archon. It'll be covered by the archon, so it's not a quality job. I also cut up 2 rudders to make the back of the throne. Finally, I added the controls just in front of the chair (more on that later).
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur20
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur19

The controls were made by taking the raider keypad controls and a rod from one of the rudders.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur21

Next up, I had the wonderful experience of trying to scratchbuild an Archon. Greenstuff and glue at the ready!
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur22

With Raider arms, splinter pistol and warrior head. The back (didn't take photo) has the cape and that fur pelt sculpted on. Yes, he is using a skull as a footrest.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur27

He gets to sit on the throne and drive. I also added a generic gunner to the front.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur25
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur26

I'm going to start painting this bad boy tomorrow. Blue and red, for the win! I might also try to improve the engines or add slave girls on the front.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 15:55

My only questions would be how 1) how does the Archon see where he's going and 2) why doesn't he have slaves to do his driving for him? Very Happy

Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 16:40

1) Magic. Or cameras. But knowing Dark Eldar, there's probably someone else's soul involved.

2) Sir does love his driving. It's more rewarding running down people yourself. Would you let a slave near your shiny mercedes?

On the subject of slaves, I'm undecided as to whether to put a GW one in that space in front of the Archon. It could add to the feel of it being a luxurious personal transport, or it might just be tacky and wreck the whole thing. I don't want to just stick one in to look sexy, but to give the vehicle character. Any thoughts/advice?

I got a game in with this thing. Predictably (as all my new models do on their first game) it got killed on turn one.

Hellion
Normski

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 23:21

All the pics look great and love the Archon driving!
Who cares if he cant see where he is going its more fun to get off the ride and see whats collected on the keel blades he he!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normski72/
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13 2012, 04:29

For some strange reason he reminds me of docter Evil. I say forgo the slave girl for a fluff white cat. Nothing adds character like a fluffy white cat.
Back to top Go down
soulthirster8
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 00:56

Is this thing just for the archon and nobody else in game? If it is, seems a bit of a waste in points, money and parts, that's all.
You could just as easily use a stylised venom. Seems possible. But if you like it and you have extras of these three than its awesome! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 14:08

Man that looks great! I will have to copy that idea, maybe even vor a Version of the Dias! But i think i will try to place the lord on the back, rather then in the middle. Still a really great convention!

Slainte

Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15 2012, 03:58

soulthirster8 wrote:
Is this thing just for the archon and nobody else in game? If it is, seems a bit of a waste in points, money and parts, that's all.
You could just as easily use a stylised venom. Seems possible. But if you like it and you have extras of these three than its awesome! Twisted Evil
Usually I use this to bring in both the Archon and 6 Incubi.
This thing's about half painted now. The main body is blue like the above archon, but the sails are blood red (although I have to call it evil sunz scarlet now). I should have some finished pictures up in a couple of days.

Bibitybopitybacon wrote:
For some strange reason he reminds me of docter Evil. I say forgo the slave girl for a fluff white cat. Nothing adds character like a fluffy white cat.
Maybe a big white fluffy Khymera? Razz
Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Painting, IT'S FINISHED   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20 2012, 06:57

So at long last here are the pics I promised. It's not my best work, but it will do. I'll start with some large pics and move into detail later.

My Archon sails the void of my physics work.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur28
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur29

Gunner and Archon. I'll be the first to admit that the archon is far from perfect, but being only the 4th model I've built from scratch (the others being Drazhar, a Haemonculus and a frankly awful jetbike farseer) I'm not too bothered.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur30
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur31

Just in case you're wondering the armor and bulk of the raider is Abaddon black, followed by a messy highlight of stegadon scale green. I find that making the first highlight less than neat actually benefits the model, but that's just my aesthetic. Following this comes a more careful highlight of ice blue.
Metallic parts are chainmail with a wash of badab black.
Finally anything else gets a coat of tin bitz, followed by chainmail highlights.
To paint the sails: Basecoat Mechrite red, Layer evil sunz scarlet, highlight blazing orange.
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur32
Super-raider conversion HD Pictur33

So that's prettymuch it. ITS FINISHED. MUAHAHAHA! Ahem.
I'm still deciding whether to add in a slave. I'll probably end up sticking one in just for the lulz.
Believe it or not I'm already planning my next conversion. My brother just bought the empire battle wizards, trading me an awesome scythe for some stuff for his Daemon prince.

I think this might end up on my next attempt at a scratchbuilt archon.
Super-raider conversion HD M3502710

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20 2012, 09:02

No fluffy white kitteh? Sad

Other than that, superb!

Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21 2012, 15:16

Still waiting on the khymera and slave. I bought both. I'll use one for the raider and the other for some modelling trick or other. I've started an archon out of a lhamaean, the scythe and hourglass above and some spare bitz. I like the idea of putting a 'pet' khymera on the base with her.

By the way, if you're looking to use this for a Dais I put some thought into how to do it. This was originally going to be a dais.
You'll notice that at the front of the side sails where the two parts join I left one of the knobs on. This could be easily cut off and a dark lance placed there instead. You could pin it in place so you can swap the dark lance back to a knob if you decide not to use the dais for a game. I might end up doing this, but probably won't post it up here as if I ever decide to use vect it will likely be months from now.

Hellion
Agahnim

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26 2012, 01:18

Very cool, I like that you did instructions too. I think the Raiders look particularly Shark-like, especially your conversion. I kind of want to try this but with "pectoral fins" toward the front where the sides jut out, any suggestions?

Also the ice blue/reddish-orange paint scheme is really cool, I like the contrast.
Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26 2012, 10:33

Agahnim wrote:
Very cool, I like that you did instructions too. I think the Raiders look particularly Shark-like, especially your conversion. I kind of want to try this but with "pectoral fins" toward the front where the sides jut out, any suggestions?

Also the ice blue/reddish-orange paint scheme is really cool, I like the contrast.
1. Thank you very much. My ego is enjoying this immensely.
2.The solar sails are a little big if you want to keep similar proportions to a shark. I suggest using the sail from the raider pack (the one not used for this conversion, the one with 2 sail 'parts') cut it in half, use the top sail part as a pectoral fin. If you feel particularly daring you could remove the archon and put an aethersail on as a dorsal fin, remove the shock prow and sculpt on a fish head or teeth. Finally, paint it like a fish for extra points and your archon is ready to sail the void in his flagship 'the goldfish'. Striking fear into all those that behold its orangish yellow form!

Just watch that the Tau don't try to mate with it when you're not looking. Damn space fish. (one of my buddies plays tau and keeps using emp 'nades to wreck my transports. They have an 'intimate' relationship with my raiders. Unfortunately it rarely lasts long. You could say their love is 'fleeting'. Mad Personally I think the tau would prefer a long distance relationship anyway. )

Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26 2012, 14:44

This is a great idea that has been put together masterfully.

I like this a lot. I am actually quite sad that my raiders are all already built and trying this would require me to buy more raiders.

Super-raider conversion HD Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 22:56

I think my archon is getting a new raider in December.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super-raider conversion HD   Super-raider conversion HD I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Super-raider conversion HD
Page 1 of 1