THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Yncarne is AMAZING

Go down 
+17
Faitherun
Rhivan
Cerve
Lord Asvaldir
Myrvn
sekac
Gizamaluke
Archon_91
krayd
Soulless Samurai
Count Adhemar
TeenageAngst
Gorgon
Burnage
dumpeal
Jimsolo
DevilDoll
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 23:59

I've got a question for those of you who've had success with the current incarnation of the Yncarne:

Are there any particular units that you find work best with regard to teleporting him in your opponent's turn?

Reavers? Venoms? Shining Spears? Members of an Archon's Court?

sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2019, 00:49

Soulless Samurai wrote:
I've got a question for those of you who've had success with the current incarnation of the Yncarne:

Are there any particular units that you find work best with regard to teleporting him in your opponent's turn?

Reavers? Venoms? Shining Spears? Members of an Archon's Court?

I like Razorwing flocks quite well. They're fast, cheap, fragile, and low leadership.

Otherwise, deep striking threats are good. A squad of haywire scourges on the flank, usually can't be ignored. You also already want to kill the solarite first because he only has poison. This lowers the leadership, which is normally risky, but if they pop, the Yncarne comes in on the flank instead.

I'm actually thinking of using the Webway portal on a small wych squad. 7 models is enough to tie up backfield shooters for a bit if they make their charge. If they fail and get shot, in comes the Yncarne.
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2019, 08:05

Couple of games I've used Reavers as darts to hit the enemy and try and lock them up assuming they'll either tie up a unit or die in the following enemy phase (allowing the Yncarne to teleport in and charge in my following turn) but that's kinda risky if they shoot them first then I dont send him in. Best success was screening him with Talos and a Vexator mask Haemy and splitting my forces; in my last game against GSC+Kraken Nids my opponent sent one big squad, swarm lord and a bunch of other stuff down the side with the Yncarne and connected with the Talos and Yncarne so I Vexator masked the Swarmlord so he couldn't attack the Yncarne first. On the other flank I'd exposed a venom that his other squad of Stealers connected with, so after squad 1 attacked my talos I interrupted with the Yncarne, wounded the Swarmlord badly, he fought with the other stealers blowing up the venom and I teleported away before the swarmlord could fight anything then shot him off the board in my turn whilst the Yncarne softened up and then mopped up the other genestealer squad (with help from some venoms and ravagers).

The key for me is to force their army to split since we are so much faster in a lot of cases, punishing them for attacking either flank by teleporting over to the now usually out of position enemy unit. Works best against melee armies I guess.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2019, 16:31

Thanks, guys. Those all sound like good options (though I'll have to find some appropriately demonic Razorwing Flock models).

For some reason I hadn't considered Scourges; guess I was thinking more in terms of close-range/melee threats. But yeah, I can see them being useful in that they're difficult to ignore and can also be positioned behind other units (so if Yncarne replaces them he can't be immediately shot).

I might also consider Mandrakes, since they're an important part of my army's theme.

Out of interest, Gizamaluke, do you take Blasters on your Reavers?

Gizamaluke wrote:
The key for me is to force their army to split since we are so much faster in a lot of cases, punishing them for attacking either flank by teleporting over to the now usually out of position enemy unit. Works best against melee armies I guess.

That's also a good point. I imagine the Yncarne is very useful for this tactic as he can basically swap between your two forces whenever something dies.

Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2019, 18:28

Nah I keep them bare bones since I just throw them at the enemy and forget about them and try to lock stuff up, I dont worry about getting my dark light on the bikes as I either want them to die or be stuck in combat
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04 2019, 19:40

Gizamaluke wrote:
Nah I keep them bare bones since I just throw them at the enemy and forget about them and try to lock stuff up, I dont worry about getting my dark light on the bikes as I either want them to die or be stuck in combat

Good to know. It's something I've never really been able to decide on in 8th.

Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09 2019, 20:58

If anyone needs a demonstration on how NOT to use the Yncarne check out the latest TTT freeview batrep. I love those guys and have subbed but it was a really bad showing of what she can do
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10 2019, 01:15

I cant stand tabletop tactics videos, way to much banter for me, but thanks, i will watch it, also tell me that Lawrence (Laurence?) played Yncarne?

I have a lot of games with it, and took top half in a few ITC events with it, but i dont like the new rules enough to make the Yncarne worth it, its a paper weight for me now.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k

Last edited by amishprn86 on Sun Mar 15 2020, 22:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10 2019, 08:04

He did use it indeed but his list of sins was too much to say he appeared on the splintermind podcast as a star guest on Ynnari.

Forgetting the Yncarne heals off dead Aeldari
Forgetting the Yncarne gives a FNP to all Ynnari
Not teleporting the Yncarne in the opponents turn to get in position for the Charge
Misuse of the Acolyte strat (used it without killing units)
Using United in death while only having Harlequins

Those were the main issues I had with it since they all massively impacted the game. I've had decent success with the Yncarne as I've shared here and saw an interview by Sky Serpent with a top DE player who was testing the Yncarne out to great success. It was disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing a good player show off what the Yncarne can do.

This batrep was pretty awesome though, showcases new Ynnari but really shows off how important deployment and movement are so I'm not sure how important the fact they were Ynnari is.

https://youtu.be/Xy4EpIiJzIc
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2019, 07:51

I got to play another game with the Yncarne today and loved him again.

I played a space wolf brigade with my Ynnari Drukhari brigade. Hammer and anvil.

My opponent had 1st turn and had the Yncarne's FNP aura blanketing my 3 ravagers, 2 raiders, and a venom which helped keep 'em alive. Towards the end of his shooting phase, he finished off a squad of reavers who were deployed, semi-hidden at the very front of the DZ. The Yncarne popped in, in my turn, charged and wrecked a venerable dread with axe and shield.

On turn 2, my opponent elected to finish off a severely wounded raider sitting in the center of my army before targeting the Yncarne, so he teleported away from primaris bolters and a predator.

In hindsight, this was a mistake, but it was a calculated decision. He knew I'd drop Lightning Fast Reactions the second he declared shots on the Yncarne. 2 squads of 5 primaris marines, a typhoon land speeder, and a predator probably aren't enough to take down the Yncarne. And even IF they do, that would guarantee I still had 3 ravagers for my next shooting phase. So he finished off a wounded ravager and the severely wounded raider instead, and let Yncarne teleport away unscathed.

These are the kind of no-win decisions the Yncarne forces your opponent into. Attempt to kill the Yncarne because he's a temporarily available target, or finish off targets that you already started on last turn? There isn't really a right answer.

That combat phase, a razorwing flock (that my opponent had refused to kill because of Yncarne implications) finished off a demolisher stuck in combat.

In came the Yncarne, right at the tip of my opponent's forward push. He was able to charge and annihilate a squad of hellblasters after the razorwings soaked the overwatch, and push deep into my opponent's deployment zone.

The Yncarne never took a wound that game. He knocked out several key units with ease and made my opponent make very uncomfortable choices.

The only bummer was the psychic phase. I failed to cast unbind souls, and had smite dispelled. I forgot the psychic phase in turn 2 (I never think of it with drukhari!).

He's so much fun, and I can't wait to paint him up with those new contrast paints.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2019, 08:08

sekac wrote:
These are the kind of no-win decisions the Yncarne forces your opponent into. Attempt to kill the Yncarne because he's a temporarily available target, or finish off targets that you already started on last turn? There isn't really a right answer.

I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk in saying this, but there very much is a right answer here; you kill the Yncarne, because a) he's nearly triple the points cost of a Ravager, b) deals more damage, and c) doesn't degrade in stats.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2019, 08:49

Burnage wrote:
I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk in saying this, but there very much is a right answer here; you kill the Yncarne, because a) he's nearly triple the points cost of a Ravager, b) deals more damage, and c) doesn't degrade in stats.

You don't sound like a jerk, you just don't know the full context. Remember, that's "you maybe kill the Yncarne". There's a very real chance he doesn't, and then a ravager with 6 wounds left and a raider with 2 wounds left skip away. What's the points exchange then? His predator took 4 wounds off my ravager turn 1, and knew it had deep striking haywire scourges headed its way. The predator wounding 2 separate units, but degrading neither of their stats is a bad trade. I already traded 60 point squad of reavers for a venerable dreadnought so I was playing with house money at the time.

He could've put all that firepower into the Yncarne and maybe killed him if the dice went his way, maybe not. If he had, I'd have had a full strength squad of Incubi to charge a unit of primaris marines, a raider with 5 incubi and 5 wyches that were waiting to spring out on his outflanking grey hunters, and a ravager that was fully operational and coming for the predator.

He could've killed, yes, an expensive target, but doing so would've all but guaranteed the demise of 3 of his own units--2 of which were the two troops choices closest to my home objective.

So he instead decided to kill a ravager, drop 5 Incubi down to 2, finish a raider, and a squad of wyches that were dropped out of the raider. The 2 incubi charged the marines that shot them but rolled poorly and died, so I think it's fair to add their points to the other 3 he killed. The total for those 4 units is exactly 350 points. So he actually came out ahead for what he chose if you care only about points trades.

The decision wasn't about points though, it was about resource usage. Use 4 units to kill 1, and lose 3 in so doing? Or use 4 units to kill 4 units, and save 3 units, but risk who knows what by letting Yncarne go?
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12 2019, 21:32

If I'm reading correctly, you had the Yncarne teleport and charge in your turn a couple of times? I didn't think the Yncarne could teleport and charge in the same turn as part of the "summoned by death" says it cannot charge in the same turn it is summoned this way ... Nore can it teleport into combat as it has to be more than 1" away from enemy models when it lands
Edit: that second part really isn't relevant but I've seen some comments about teleporting the Yncarne into combat
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13 2019, 08:17

No, I never teleported him and charged in my turn. He teleported into reavers when they got shot, he teleported into a raider when it got shot, and he teleported into a demolisher that my razorwing flocks killed in his turn 2.

After that teleporting wasn't necessary because he was already in the backfield and still had flocks screening for him.

The only time I've teleport him in my turn so far, is by resolving a combat he's involved in, and then resolving another combat elsewhere against a unit I know I can kill. Then he teleports out of combat before the opponent can swing back. It basically forces them to spend 2 CP if they want to swing on the Yncarne at all that turn.

I'd also be willing to do it if there was an isolated firebase. Shoot and kill one unit, then pop over there and overwhelm something that can't handle him. I haven't had an opportunity I liked yet, though.
Back to top Go down
Da-Rock
Hellion
Da-Rock

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15 2020, 18:10

late to this discussion, but it inspired me to try a list out.

Trying to find the exact current rules for Ynarri and the Yncarne is hard as a lot is outdated.

I have played with the Yncarne once with a lot of transports and no other heavy hitters, (it went poorly as you can imagine), but he was fun and was never damaged.

i want to combine some elements I haven't played before:

Supremem Command Deatchment - Ynnari   (need help on who should be Warlord)
10 Wraithblades
Yncarne
x2 farseer/Warlock Skyrunners

* I would have Yncarne walk with Wraithblades to heal them or replaces until he either enters combat or jumps.

3 Ravagers - (Yes, I am finally trying this)
3 Venoms with 5 man warriors and a blaster in each
1 Archon babysits the Ravahers and the other two camp or play cards

Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15 2020, 22:30

Just to add, most of this discussion was before 57pts drop. I 100% feel it is good to bring now and i even play it ever chase i get now.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Da-Rock
Hellion
Da-Rock

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2020, 02:01

Getting closer to finished with my Yncarne, but i'm not sure if I want to paint him basic or with lots of pop.

The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 QwUvPBU
Back to top Go down
Pippolele
Hellion
Pippolele

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21 2020, 14:02

Are those "drukharized" wraith guard? Count as grotesque? Can you share some more pictures? Would love to see the details!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Yncarne is AMAZING
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5