THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Yncarne is AMAZING

Go down 
+17
Faitherun
Rhivan
Cerve
Lord Asvaldir
Myrvn
sekac
Gizamaluke
Archon_91
krayd
Soulless Samurai
Count Adhemar
TeenageAngst
Gorgon
Burnage
dumpeal
Jimsolo
DevilDoll
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 26 2019, 16:31

Cerve wrote:
There's no FaQ, yes, you actually need 1 Harleys, 1 Drukhari and 1 Craftworld detatchment, all of them Ynnari (bye bye Vect) and all the three Ynnari heroes.

Yeah that strat is far from being good to me

That strat is the reason wh i tired the 3 together and its not worth it at all, you are spending at minimum 600pts in HQ's for you get get QUins/CWE/DE Hq's and you'll want at least 2 more HQ's, so it ends up being at least 750-800pts of HQ's

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Rhivan
Sybarite
Rhivan

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon May 27 2019, 04:42

Gizamaluke wrote:
Fair enough, you guys have decided the +1A strat doesnt require all 3 eldar factions to be present or did GW faq it?
With how it's worded it's nebulous on whether or not it requires all 3. It simply says select 1 of each. If you run only 2 and it allows you to do that (or only 1) than that would be nice, and is possible as written.

amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon May 27 2019, 05:41

Rhivan wrote:
Gizamaluke wrote:
Fair enough, you guys have decided the +1A strat doesnt require all 3 eldar factions to be present or did GW faq it?
With how it's worded it's nebulous on whether or not it requires all 3. It simply says select 1 of each. If you run only 2 and it allows you to do that (or only 1) than that would be nice, and is possible as written.

Not RAW imo, look at Alliance of Agony, worded differently. Its say up to 1 Haemonculus and up to 1 Succubus. The Ynnari one say Pick a X a Y and a Z. Not pick up to 1.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28 2019, 00:59

I dunno, it's not hard to have all of that in one list. I've been noodling a few lists of Drukhari battalions, and then some combo of vanguard, outrider, and supreme command detachments of harlequin and craftworlders.

A troop master with a hungering blade, a squad of wraith blades, and a squad of wyches all with +1 attack seems like it might out down some hurt. There's still plenty of points to put in the obligatory ravagers and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28 2019, 01:11

Played against GSC codex for the first time today; resounding victory and the Yncarne took the heads of a Patriarch, their Banner Dude, The Swarmlord and 7 Abberamts aswell as half a dozen Genestealers. Denied two powerful spells, managed to do half a dozen mortal wounds and didn't need to teleport once.

It helped he was protected by 5 talos and a Vexator mask Haemonculus but he did a pretty good job again.

Last edited by Gizamaluke on Tue May 28 2019, 01:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 28 2019, 01:11

My opponent knew about the Yncarne and had faced him before so committed a massive force against her and fell into the Vexator trap (which he was less familiar with. It helped I had all my vehicles on top of buildings out of reach so it was charge the Talos or do nothing.

Took the Yncarne in a patrol with 20 wyches who I deep struck, they played basically like I didn't have an obsession but cleared up 20 flamer acolytes (metamorphs?) Pretty hastily.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2019, 16:22

A good thing about the Yncarne is that he protects your list pretty well. When I expose him, you know that your oppo is not going to destroy any of your Ravagers, Flyers, etc because he wants to kill him off. Which is good for you, because even at his cost you prefer to lost him more than your "fragile" shooting boats. It screws completely enemy plans.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2019, 16:38

Cerve wrote:
A good thing about the Yncarne is that he protects your list pretty well. When I expose him, you know that your oppo is not going to destroy any of your Ravagers, Flyers, etc because he wants to kill him off. Which is good for you, because even at his cost you prefer to lost him more than your "fragile" shooting boats. It screws completely enemy plans.

The Yncarne's too expensive and fragile to make for a good distraction Carnifex, in my opinion. Great, you forced your opponent to wipe out a single model which... was actually a fifth or a sixth of your entire list in terms of points.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2019, 17:49

Burnage wrote:
The Yncarne's too expensive and fragile to make for a good distraction Carnifex, in my opinion. Great, you forced your opponent to wipe out a single model which... was actually a fifth or a sixth of your entire list in terms of points.

I see the Yncarne as being comparable to a Queen in chess.

It's probably the most valuable piece in your list, short of your king (read: Warlord).

However, it can still be sacrificed for other pieces if the resulting trade is in your favour. Of course, in terms of mere points, it practically has to take out a super-heavy in order to obtain a favourable trade. Wink

Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2019, 21:02

Or take out a bunch of smaller pieces, which it sounds like the Yncarne excels at so ... Having not personally used it I can't say for sure, but it sounds like it's worth is pretty much based on playstyle
Back to top Go down
Faitherun
Sybarite
Faitherun

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 00:47

I will be running mine for the 1st time ever this weekend.

Curious, do you all run yours with or without its WL trait? 7 str 7 attacks is reall nice, but I could also see dropping that trait onto a hungering blade wielder to also get a lot of str 7 attacks... lose the high damage potential though....

My thought has been to do Master of Death on the hungering blade wielder and let Yncarne be the warlord....
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 00:59

Archon_91 wrote:
Or take out a bunch of smaller pieces, which it sounds like the Yncarne excels at so ...

I mean, ideally you'll take out smaller pieces without ever sacrificing him at all.

My point was, if you're going to sacrifice him at all, it should be to kill something big.

Faitherun wrote:
I will be running mine for the 1st time ever this weekend.

Curious, do you all run yours with or without its WL trait? 7 str 7 attacks is reall nice, but I could also see dropping that trait onto a hungering blade wielder to also get a lot of str 7 attacks... lose the high damage potential though....

My thought has been to do Master of Death on the hungering blade wielder and let Yncarne be the warlord....

Personally, I've no intention of making the Yncarne my warlord.

My opponent will already be focused on killing him and as I'm not fond of having all my eggs in one basket, I'd prefer that my opponent isn't able to slay my Warlord at the same time.

This also gives me the option to sacrifice the Yncarne (e.g. if I'm playing against one or more Knights and am running out of heavy firepower) without giving up a CP.

Finally, I just think that trait is pretty poor. S6 to S7 doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference and he's already rerolling wounds. Extra attack is okay but not remotely worth a Warlord Trait IMO.

As for Yncanre, her Warlord Trait is pure garbage. I'd much rather have an Autarch, Farseer, Shadowseer, or even an Archon as my warlord and be able to take Walker of Many Paths or Lord of Rebirth.

Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 22:26

@Burnage: I don't care about points, it is not how the 8th works. I can lose 334 points of Yncarne if it means that mine 375 points of Ravagers AND mine 290 points of Razorwings still alive.
This is a game of trades, and you can trade nothing for few Kabals or just 1-2 Venoms.

Plus, victory points is what you need to win. But I must say, I like the GW format, I don't play ETC or ITC, I just don't like them. So maybe this affect my tought.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 22:43

Cerve wrote:
@Burnage: I don't care about points, it is not how the 8th works. I can lose 334 points of Yncarne if it means that mine 375 points of Ravagers AND mine 290 points of Razorwings still alive.

But this assumes that your opponent needs to dedicate all his firepower to killing the Yncarne.

Assuming he's in the open, he's maybe a little more durable than a single Black Heart Ravager. Hardly Imperial Knight levels.

My point is, you could put him in the open to draw fire from the rest of your army...but actually end up losing the Yncarne *and* a couple of Ravagers.

Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 23:35

Cerve wrote:
This is a game of trades, and you can trade nothing for few Kabals or just 1-2 Venoms.

Plus, victory points is what you need to win. But I must say, I like the GW format, I don't play ETC or ITC, I just don't like them. So maybe this affect my tought.

I don't play ETC or ITC either (none of the events I go to use anything other than BRB or Chapter Approved missions, shrug) so that's not affecting my thought process here. But I am confused by you saying that 8th isn't about points - of course it is. Not in the sense that your opponent will get victory points proportional to what it kills, but when you're list building you do have to think about what else could you be getting for your points which could fill the same role.

For Yncarne as distraction Carnifex, you're paying ~300 points for a role that could reasonably be filled by a ~100 point Solitaire or (stretching it slightly) even a ~50 point Succubus. Would it work? Well, yeah, to an extent, but I'd rather run a cheaper distraction beatstick alongside 200+ points of other units. That's personal preference but I think it's supported by all the Ynnari characters being overcosted to one degree or another - Yvraine, for instance, is not good enough to cost nearly the same as Eldrad.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30 2019, 23:51

Regarding Distraction Carnifexes, I think my criteria would be along the following lines:
- Shouldn't cost more than about 200pts, ideally less. I mean, if you've got a unit that costs 300-400pts, your opponent is probably well within his rights to dedicate a decent amount of firepower to removing it. Wink
- Should be durable, relative to its cost. If your opponent can blow it away with minimal firepower then it's not doing its job.
- Should be a reasonable threat in its own right. If it can soak damage but is unable to dish it out then you're relying on your opponent making a huge tactical blunder by targeting it in the first place. Obviously people do make mistakes but this isn't something I'd want to rely on when list-building.
- Shouldn't want/need support. Ideally, your distraction units should be able to go off on their own to wherever they're needed. Hence, you don't want them having to stick by an aura or such in the centre of your main force.
(Just to emphasise: these are just my own guidelines for what an 'ideal' distraction carnifex should look like. I'm sure others have their own ideas.)

In terms of the Yncarne, he fails 3/4 of these 'rules'.
- He costs way more than 200pts.
- His durability is actually very poor, given that his main defence is the character rule. As mentioned previously, he's only slightly more durable than a BH Ravager.
- Whilst he can technically go off on his own, his aura and psychic powers mean he probably wants to stick close to other units in your army.
- The only thing he really has going for him is that his offensive capabilities are decent (though when you consider his cost, they're still hardly something to write home about).

Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 31 2019, 07:08

I don't knw why on cellphone I can't quote no one...anyway...

Well wait. The thing is the Yncarne.is not just a bait. It CAN be a bait too, but you don't deploy it just for that. No Solitaire, Succubus, any other choice can ive the pressure that the Yncarne do. First of all, his teleport is understimated I think. I play him into a fast mele oriented list (with some fire support of course). Embarked Wyches, Archon and Succubus kitted out (Archon Ynnari 5A S7 and Succubus RedGrief 5A S7), even 3x3 Reavers at T5 (which works amazing with the Yncarne himself) etc. You spread your army everywhere, avoiding the major threats of your opponent and trying to assault his troops/infantry, everything you can kill/trap easy in charge. The Yncarne is the hammer here, you can't seriously avoid it...but at the same time, Disintegrators are the real hammer here, and you can't avoid the rest of the list harrassing objectives on the board. One of the tool of the Yncarne (one of them) is that he kinda protect your entire army from being killed.

I'm not saying that the Yncarne is just a giant bait. I'm saying that it can be. in my last game he killed an IK and then the oppo chosed to kill it back INSTEAD of my Ravagers..which were the real threat there.

Ignore his aura, the Yncarne needs to jump away all the time, always. No piece in 40k give the pressure that it gives, is unique. If you build a list that can spread all over the board, he is amazing.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02 2019, 17:20

Finally got to try the Yncarne yesterday and he was amazing! I loved it.

My opponent shot a flock of razor wings I had as forward as possible, Yncarne teleported in, ran up the board and killed most of a marine squad, then teleported out of LoS of his gun line when my opponent's librarian warlord killed my beastmaster in combat. He then got a couple multi-melta packing dreads into range to shoot up the Yncarne, but his librarian used smite on a wounded razorwing flock, finishing it, and allowing the Yncarne to teleport out of range of the dreadnaughts.

Next turn, he charged and killed the Librarian--triggering Souls of the Strongest (permanent soul burst). The turn after that, he went to charge the tech marine running a TFCx but he decided to kill himself with an overheated plasma pistol rather than face the Yncarne in combat. There was a single marine surrounded elsewhere, so I killed him a teleported the Yncarne back to safety.

I also had a unit of wyches Webway ambush behind his devastators but they failed their charge. They got shot up badly and died to morale. In came the Yncarne. He kept smiting devastators and chopping up tactical marines and contesting an objective.

So:
-2 squads of troops
-Thunderfire Cannon
-Squad of devastators
-Librarian warlord
-Absorbed an incredible amount of fire that otherwise would've been directed at my ravagers.
-Cleared my opponent's objective in his DZ, guaranteeing victory.

He was worth every point, and more to the point, he was a ton of fun!
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02 2019, 17:47

You weren't moving or charging with him after teleport were you? Cuz hes not allowed to do that, sounds like you put him to good work if not!
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 01:40

Nope. I'd only teleport him on my active turn by killing something else in CC after he already did his damage.
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 03:50

Is the Yncarne going to turn into a useful tool against folks that are not prepared, but over priced for those that know how to counter it? I've been really successful with it on some games with really poor performance on others.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 06:54

Myrvn wrote:
Is the Yncarne going to turn into a useful tool against folks that are not prepared, but over priced for those that know how to counter it? I've been really successful with it on some games with really poor performance on others.

Quite probably. Regardless, it's a piece that robs your opponent of a lot of agency. It's great because the pressure is on them to counter it, not so much on you to use it right.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 10:20

@Myrvn: yes and no. The Yncarne needs a good list builted around it, and playing him it's like playng chess and you need to know that he will die for sure.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 10:24

Myrvn wrote:

Yep. I'd bet good money that it's not going to be regularly hitting the top tables at tournaments.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2019, 22:29

I’ve tried out the Yncarne in my last two games. In the first game it killed a dreadnought and a unit of veteran SMs but whiffed against a smash captain when my opponent made all of his storm shield saves. In the second game I was too conservative about holding it back for mid-to-late game heroics and it only killed a few IG characters. It’s really fun to play but has a fairly steep learning curve to actually use it effectively. At its current points cost, I don’t think I could justify using it in competitive game, but the teleport ability does add more mental stress to your opponent which is extremely useful. Overall, I’ve enjoyed playing the Yncarne and will probably include it in most fun/semi-competitive lists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Yncarne is AMAZING   The Yncarne is AMAZING - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Yncarne is AMAZING
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next