THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Need advice for Wraithguard

Go down 
+2
Azdrubael
Evil Space Elves
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Need advice for Wraithguard Empty
PostSubject: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 05:43

Anybody using these guys successfully these days? I like the Iyandian fluff, love the Yriel model, and love Wraithlords. I was drawn to the paint scheme of Yriel (looks like my old RT Eldar from back in the day). I haven't played my CWE in a while, but never really got comfortable with playing Wraithguard. I am interested in any thoughts that any of you may have on using them productively(I'm not looking for the standard "they're overpriced-they suck" line). I will be getting back into CWE after finishing my DE and am wondering if I should hang on to my Wraithguard.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 06:47

They and Wraithlord list shine with new Wraithseer.
Plus model is gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 07:18

Azdrubael wrote:
They and Wraithlord list shine with new Wraithseer.
Plus model is gorgeous.
that model is truly amazing. Almost ordered one a while back, but didn't want to get sidetracked and doom my DE to the Shelf of Neverending Incompletion. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
gunnerboy1607
Kabalite Warrior
gunnerboy1607

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 11:19

okay im gonna try and say something! even though its prob gonna suck or u already know it!

but hate to partly break it you, with all the AP1-2 weapons spam armies can do, they can (or will) die quickly. one thing that i can think off, is put them in a wave serpent (with a warlock or farseer of course) and use them as tarpitting units while u have the rest of ur units moving up. if you dont feel like running vehicles, there is always the whole kit ur wraithlords with missile launchers and hope the frag shots pins them! and with that, while ur wraith guard are moving up, u can have a counter attack unit in front of it so it can claim the 4+ cover. (i would prob use banshees (power weapons yeah!) or with warp spiders (assault, then hit n run in time so ur wraiths can blast the enemy away! >Very Happy), u could use harlies, but save wise sucks and u could use something better.

but thats all i can think off! and ill get back to u if i think of other stuff! Very Happy hope that helped a little Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 11:54

Not meaning to sound contrary - but the Ap1-2 comment is not an accurate statement.

Most armies spam S7-8 shots with AP being secondary. This is to cope with the mech nature of the game right now. Sure you will see melta a fair bit but they are the same range you are.

If you going to use WG - you need a full unit of 10, with warlock with conceal and then a farseer (or better yet eldrad) so you can fortune them. Back them up with a couple of WLords and an Avatar and you have a nasty deathstar.

The main problem then becomes actually engaging the enemy. Most savy players will kite them around if needed or just run away.
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
gunnerboy1607
Kabalite Warrior
gunnerboy1607

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05 2012, 12:38

But u sorta got what i meant, which is all i wanted to say Razz
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 05:48

the small squad in a wave serpent isnt a bad use of them either. They are decent in the small 5 man sqaud w/ their spiritseer in a wave serpent. They are a tougher/more expensive version of the fire dragons. An interesting list would be a wraithseer, two 10 man squads for your troops, 3 wraithlords (this is your anvil) and 3 squads of 5 in a serpent for a hammer. Wouldnt be super competitive, but would be fun and fluffy
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 13:08

Shadows Revenge wrote:
the small squad in a wave serpent isnt a bad use of them either. They are decent in the small 5 man sqaud w/ their spiritseer in a wave serpent. They are a tougher/more expensive version of the fire dragons. An interesting list would be a wraithseer, two 10 man squads for your troops, 3 wraithlords (this is your anvil) and 3 squads of 5 in a serpent for a hammer. Wouldnt be super competitive, but would be fun and fluffy
Not to mention super-hard on the wallet affraid
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 15:07

Evil Space Elves wrote:

at this point I thought if you were asking for Wraithguard tactica you already had the models to play with Razz

actually had a friend who long ago bought like 3~4 of the illyanden craftworld battleforce. He is rolling in wraithguard now, and loves to bust them out when he can (although he rarely plays now)
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 19:28

Wraithguard are best used in 10 man squads with a Spiritseer to make them troop and they sit on a home objective. If objective isn't in Cover give the Warlock Concel and if it is give it Enhance or Destructor.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06 2012, 21:21

Shadows Revenge wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:

at this point I thought if you were asking for Wraithguard tactica you already had the models to play with Razz

)
Ha! I have 13 of them from trades. Wouldn't want to add to that until I've figured out what to do with the ones I have...
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 00:27

Cailos wrote:
Wraithguard are best used in 10 man squads with a Spiritseer to make them troop and they sit on a home objective. If objective isn't in Cover give the Warlock Concel and if it is give it Enhance or Destructor.

As you have to decide prior to deployment you should always go conceal.

Also, spending 400 points to babysit an objective for the game is a waste. Thats what 60pt dire avengers are for!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 14:06

so try two squads of 5 w/ spiritseer w/ conceal in a dual cannon wave serpent w/ spirit stones. They are nasty against tanks, and can actually be used at the full range (unlike fire dragons which have to be half range to be effective) on top of that, they arent going to be a one hit wonder and will actually survive oncoming fire (again... unlike fire dragons) plus conceal gives them some protection from AP 1-3 weapons. I agree with Massaen, too many points sitting back doing nothing but capturing an objective is a waste.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07 2012, 18:20

Shadows Revenge wrote:
so try two squads of 5 w/ spiritseer w/ conceal in a dual cannon wave serpent w/ spirit stones. They are nasty against tanks, and can actually be used at the full range (unlike fire dragons which have to be half range to be effective) on top of that, they arent going to be a one hit wonder and will actually survive oncoming fire (again... unlike fire dragons) plus conceal gives them some protection from AP 1-3 weapons. I agree with Massaen, too many points sitting back doing nothing but capturing an objective is a waste.
THIS is what I was looking for! I agree, the nearly 400pt objective campers with 12" ranged attacks is less than appealing. Most of my non-Eldar playing friends have recommended them used this way also. After my tournament next week with my DE I'll try this configuration out.
Thanks cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for Wraithguard   Need advice for Wraithguard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice for Wraithguard
Page 1 of 1