THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting and building scourges

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

Painting and building scourges Empty
PostSubject: Painting and building scourges   Painting and building scourges I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24 2012, 10:48

Hey,

as a little reward for myself I bought a box of scourges, because the models are absolutely beautiful. However I stumbled across two problems:

1. How do I magnetize these guys to be able to field 5 with double Haywire Blaster OR double Heat Lance. I figured a carbine with a shredder tip looks reasonably close to a HWB, but I'm glad for all other suggestions. The problem is the second heat lance, I could see myself using a shredder tip here as well (of which I have plenty) but with the side "wings" cut off to be closer to the real heat lance. Again I'm open for other suggestions. The thing is: where do I place the magnets. The smallest ones I could get are 2mm diameter 1mm thick disk neodymium magnets. I've magnetised other things such as complete arms for my archon or the crew of raiders and venoms before, so I'm used to do such things. Still I'm a bit at a loss at these scourge models' weapons, I really don't want to ruin those.

2. Is it alright to glue the wings on before painting? I'm really a perfectionist when it comes to painting and I don't want to be stuck with ugly unaccessible parts, however I still like to spare myself the unnecessary work to paint them all separately on a rig and glue them on afterwards, where I probably have to fix the joint spots where wing and body come together.

Cheers

Dogmar
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Painting and building scourges   Painting and building scourges I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 00:55

can't help with the first point im afraid, never seem to be able to magnetise models effectivly.
For the second point it depends on how you want to do the wings I think and your general colour scheme. I fully constructed the model, sprayed it black and applied a drybrush of blue over the model with no problems. When using the feathered wings i would advise painting them first (I actually just drybrushed bleached bone onto it and applied devlan mud wash and it looked great) then painting the model but it shouldn't be a problem if the model is already constructed.
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Painting and building scourges   Painting and building scourges I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 10:24

I can't help with the magnetizing much, but I assembled mine completely and TOTALLY regret it. The bat wings are very difficult to reach on the bottom. I'd paint them separately then the rest.
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and building scourges   Painting and building scourges I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08 2012, 14:28

Thanks for the input. As it is now I solved the magnetizing problem myself.

I build a second Haywire Blaster top out of a carbine and a shredder and a second heat lance out of a carbine and another shredder (with cut off side fins). Then I cut the original HWB and HL in half and magnetized the spots where I cut it... it's hard to do and if you look at it in detail you will notice the magnetization, but it does the trick: voilà a scourge squad with either 2 HWB or(!) 2 HL.

Painting wise I glued on one of the wings so that I know which pair of wings belongs to which model and then left the second wing off, so that I can easily reach all parts during the painting process.

ta-da! Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting and building scourges   Painting and building scourges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting and building scourges
Page 1 of 1