THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents

Go down 
+45
Herbert West
Cavalier
SebastionSynn
Tangentical
redwulfe
Mngwa
Lord_Alino
Sulphunet
Sneaky Rufus
Crazy_Ivan
The Eye of Error
Zhul
W'fo
wilku
Sara'khil Umbrakol
Chaeril
Firdeth
malevolent_one
Eldur
Count Adhemar
Ciirian
Mortarion
citywidecrayon
Shadows Revenge
Mr_Pink
Cavash
ramtastic
Lady Malys
Preacher
Siticus the Ancient
The_Burning_Eye
SirTainly
Evil Space Elves
Keravin
Rabid Bunny
Raucir Lustingclaw
Liberame
Vanq
Hadriel Caine
GAR
Gobsmakked
Xelkireth
Garfy
Local_Ork
Sky Serpent
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10 2012, 23:37

I'm liking the hekatrix mask too, very cool looking, where's it from?
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12 2012, 19:18

Thought I'd get a quick update in, again the photos aren't fantastic but should be sufficient. First a few replies...

@ Evil Space Elves and The_Burning_Eye, thanks for the compliments ESE and his comment answered your question TBE Wink (arghh, too many abbreviations)

@ SirTainly, it has taken me indeed far too long, I hope not to rest on my laurels and get this army going!

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 0032

Let's go with the Wyches raider. It is festooned with trophies from their recent raids and the crew are converted similarly to the accompanying squad. The colour wasn't how I intended it but I think I'll just go with the flow for now. The sails and banners on the models in the army will be of flayed skin to synergise with Duke's background; I like to think they hunted down a void whale to make their aethersails.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 005

Venom for my Kabalite Warriors who will symbolise a Solar Cult, hence the use of Scourge heads. Nothing too fancy here, the trophy racks on the back come from the Daemon Prince kit. I've wanted to do freehand on the vehicles and get a secondary or tertiary colour going on. I chose an art nouveau look for it's oxymoronic qualities alongside the dark feel of the army. Just a test I did but would like feedback on it.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 004

Last but not least we have a shot of a Ravager and the Duke's Venom. It's hard to see all the little additions to the Ravager but I've tried to individualise the vehicles a bit. This is a better shot of the shading and highlighting on the models, ideally I should tweak the photo in photoshop or something but I'd rather just show you these as is.

That's that my Commorrites, hope you like them. Until next time. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13 2012, 14:51

Very nice. I have seen a theme somewhat similar to this, with kind of the same detail patterns, and it was very impressive.They were a Biel tan kind of thorn pattern done with a silver paint pen. But I am liking the black and white details much better. It looks cleaner and visually more interesting. This will look phenomenal when its all done.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 22:46

Well, time for another sporadic update. I have been working, honest, just haven't made lots of progress.

@ GAR, thanks for the encouragement so far, I hope to gain a few more followers but like everyone knows, good project logs have regular content.

Had another embarassing moment going to a tournament with an unfinished army but I'd like to think that one day when it is finished it will be worth it. I just always have so many ideas for the army, real intricate ones and they're time consuming. Then I decide I want to change the list and it all keeps on going round in circles. Think I've settled on a list now and have conversions to show for when I get the camera up and running.

For now I have a photo someone took of my army at said embarassing event; at least you can see where I'm going with things.

And before I go, should I start a blog or not? My b/plog at 40kuk hasn't been successful due to a frustrating lack of them putting up updates and although I post here and at Warseer, I'd like to have my very own little bit of the webway. What do you think?

Photo time....
Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 Armyshot-1
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 23:07

That group shot looks magnificent. I absolutely love the flags everywhere! Nothing says corsairs like floating banners and flags high above the bloodshed.

As for the blog - why not? You'd hardly lose anything from making one, after all. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 23:32

Looking really good! Any chance of closeups?
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 23:49

Nice, something about them screams desert raiders to me, can't think what it might be... Question Wink
I'm with ESE, any chance of some closeups?

Blog sounds like a good idea, I'd read it.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10 2012, 21:43

These all look great Sky. The more variations I see on the Succubus model the more I want to use one for my Archon conversion. As has been said before, the old Lileth mask looks perfect on there.

Embarrassing moment? From what I can see in the picture I'd more than happy to field such a force on the table. The only "embarrassing" point is the lack of close ups. Wink It all looks fantastic from this distance.
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11 2012, 23:14

The three Cults look very promising. I love the way you've styled them all to fit their theme, and as someone already said, the poses are very dynamic.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2012, 01:27

Brilliant looking army Sky, looks awesome all together while the individual paint jobs look immaculate. The lighting in the latest pic really helps.

I echo the call for more close-ups.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2012, 20:00

I LOVE IT!!

It reminds me of a twist of my own. The army view really makes it all stand out and I agree it does have a desert feel to it, similar to my own Black Halo, but still different enough that it is all its own. Similar kind of theme, different execution. Very well done.

Did I mention I love it.

I think a blog is a great idea. I try to update my own weekly, and sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but I find it a great motivator to keep going since I know my minions, er, followers, are wanting to see updates.

Its a little bit of work, but I think its worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
ramtastic
Hellion
ramtastic

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 00:47

scourge heads are too good to only be used on scourges!
All 15 of my wyches will have scourge heads - there is something really menacing about them.

Solar cult = awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 20:56

Hi everyone, thank you for all your fantastic feedback. Before I give you a wracktastic update I will address the C & C that I was given.

@ Siticus the Ancient, I know what you mean about the flags, I wanted to achieve that feel and looks like I did. I'm going to hold off on the blog just for now I think.

@ Evil Space Elves, Thanks dude, I would give you some close ups but the army isn't in a great state to look at just yet. If there's something in particular let me know.

@ The_Burning_Eye, A few people have mentioned they looked like desert raiders, it wasn't my intention but it's not a bad thing. When the freehand goes on I think the look will change a bit.

@ Preacher, I'm really happy with that Hekatrix, glad you like it too. It's a nice army shot but there are lots of broken and unfinished models in there.

@ Lady Malys, I'm glad you like my idea of how I've themed the force, I'm coming to you for when I want to develop it further.

@ Gobsmakked, Cheers, the good photography really helps to show the army in it's actual palette, I need to look at getting a better camera myself or get the gf to bring her professional one.

@ GAR, Really like your enthusiasm, the colour scheme was a result of experimentation and much serendipity, it did remind me of yours.

@ ramtastic, I love the heads too. I knew I wasn't going to be using Scourges but I wanted to make use of their heads, and did.

Well, on to the update. Wracks time.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1836

Blurry and awful photo but I think you can see it. I wasn't sure on the Wracks models at first but I think it's the GW scheme I don't like. They're far too static for my liking but it goes to show how rotating a head or two can really add to the dynamics of a model.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1839

And the Wracks ride. Very early stages but wanted to show how well the Wracks can work as the gunner and steersman. I'll be using bits from the Vampire Counts throne to jazz it up as well as plastic card as I look to make this a macabre, floating art gallery.

I have more updates to show but felt I'd drip it out bit by bit to show you, might even update again tonight. Ciao.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 21:12

The wracks work extremeley well on the Raider. With the free hand you displayed on earlier models it is going to look awesome.
The Wracks certainly do look more fluid now. Well done.
I find that the copious amounts of heads mounted upon your first Raider reminds me of the Reavers from the Television series Firefly, which brings back fond memories. I have never found a model that has been able to make me reminisce before today, that just shows you are doing something extremeley well.
Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19 2012, 19:45

Another quick update, still so much to work on and get ready for a tournament in two weeks. Plan is to get the new units up to 3 colours so I can use them; current idea is that even though my army won't be at the level of painting I'm happy with at least it will be slightly (well, alot more) competitive and give me an idea of what to expect in the future.

@ Cavash, Thanks for the comments, very happy with the Wracks, a lot lot more to do to their Raider. Always an aim to make my stuff thought provoking.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1845

Blasterborn! These guys use legs from Kabalite Warriors, torsos from Dragon Princes and heads from Hellions while their Blasters are from the Warriors and Scourges. Wanted to make a distinct looking unit and think they look rather Sky Serpenty, if you can call that a term. I've also changed the gunner of what was Duke's Venom to give them their own transport.

My idea for these guys is that they are a fallen noble house who lost a bet with the Duke and were forced into fighting alongside him when they realised they couldn't go back to Commorragh. It's a win win situation though that they enjoy the continuous bloodshed while Sliscus ensures they have lots of close range weaponry so that they never survive a battle. There is no remorsefulness or end for them as after every battle, the Duke's Haemonculi scrape up their smears and reanimate them to continue their servitude.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23 2012, 18:12

This is a really unique-looking Cabal, Sky Serpent. I love all the little changes you made to make the rank-and-file troops look a little more individual, particularly the bits you borrowed from the WHFB Elves and the bandana-type things you sculpted on around some of their necks.

Any chance of seeing some clearer, closer-cropped shots of the individual models?
Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23 2012, 20:08

Last of my latest updates before I get stuff built and three coloured up for a tournament in two weeks, will look to get some WIP shots of those hopefully and then some better shots once I've convinced the gf to bring her camera round. Hate the fact that I don't do anything for months and then rush everything last minute, really want to make sure that I have it 100% done for the tail end of September.

@ Mr_Pink, Thanks dude, nice to hear from someone with an interesting blog such as yours. Clearer shots will be coming soon hopefully, you'll have to put up with my crappy, bad lighting and focus shots.

On with the show. Duke's retinue.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1842

WIP of my first three Kabalite Warriors for The Serpent's Court. I have used Menghil Manhide's Manflayers (alliteration much?) as the base for most of them. I really dig Chris Fitzpatrick's style and find the flayed flesh rocks the Sliscus theme really well too plus there is a ton of character on the models. I've done a lot of cutting them up to fit splinter rifles on them, they still need gap filling and accessories. The one on the right is based off a Medusae and one of the vamps from the Coven Throne - I really like the victorian high fashion look.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1840

I've spent quite a while working on ideas for this unit and what models would be interesting for the squad. Some will work, some won't and time will tell what does. On the right is a Dark Elf Beastmaster that I bought ages ago knowing I'd use him for something, here he is. The left is one of my favourite ideas for the unit but needs a lot of finishing. He's based off the Sartosan Vampire purely for the shakespearean aesthetics, I imagine him as the Duke's bard or poet, pomping up the pomp of the unit as much as possible.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1843

And a group shot with some of the less interesting guys. I think I'll keep adding to this squad as time goes by as each model is essentially a character.

Hope you guys like them.

Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 17:51

My last few posts have been a bit uninspiring with WIPs that were a bit too WIP. Anyway, I have finished modelling the Duke's Kabalite Warrior squad and am really happy with how they look; I'm actually really looking forward to painting them which is a rarity for me.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1846

First off is The Poet. He's based off the Sartosan Vampire with a Kabalite head, arms and weapon. Very fond of this guy, just not sure how paint him, whether to paint all of his robes as skin or just some of it. Decisions, decisions.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1847

Next two Warriors. First uses the Dark Elf Beastmaster, hasn't changed much since I showed him off last, just the addition of an equipment pack from the Scourge set. The one on the right is one I'm quite happy with, she uses Scourge legs, Wych torso, head from one of the girls from the Coven Throne, equipment from the Scourges, arms and weapon from Kabalites and a shoulder pad which originated from the High Elf Lord on Dragon kit. Quite the kitbash.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1848

First one is based on Menghil Manhide with the addition of Kabalite arms and weapon plus a Scourge equipment pack. The next is based on a Lhameaen, with Kabalite arms, weapon, head from a Wych from the Venom kit; the ornamentation is from the High Elf Lord......

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1849

Next two are based on the Dark Elf Manflayers, Kabalite weapons and arms and one has a Kabalite head, tried to keep these two quite simple.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1850

Last up we have two more ladies for the squad. First uses a Medusaes legs, Coven Throne torso, Kabalite head, arms and weapons. The next is based on Isabella, Wych head, Kabalite weapons and arms and a Hellion shoulderpad.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 100_1851

Quick group shot before they make their way off to be sprayed.
Really happy with these, took a long time to finalise what I was going to use and I scrapped most of my ideas and just went with the flow, find that works the best. Hope you like them.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 18:00

They are seriously awesome. I especialy like the Manflayers and your Poet.

I am looking forward to seeing them painted.

Keep up the good work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2012, 18:03

very good conversions sky. And for a paint job what if you did a sorta komono style with them. So bright colors and flower esque patterns, but mabye with some blood and maybe a change in patterns (so instead of flowers... maybe runes)

This should give them a regal look, but also will pull them more into that regality was bought look. Something that I think Duke would have around him, that regal look, yet we all know that his power is bought and earned like a Mobster
Back to top Go down
citywidecrayon
Hellion
citywidecrayon

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19 2012, 02:27

First off I love the overall feel of your army, it looks great and does a great job in keeping everything tied together while looking unique. Secondly, that kabalite warrior squad is awesome. I'm a big fan of the level of conversion in there and the variety you've achieved, they really feel like a retinue and not just another squad in the army.

Brilliant work and i look forward to seeing whatever else you come up with Smile
Back to top Go down
Mortarion
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19 2012, 11:46

Wow! I missed these before. That converted squad looks really cool. Can't wait to see it painted.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20 2012, 18:03

Shadows Revenge wrote:
for a paint job what if you did a sorta komono style with them. So bright colors and flower esque patterns, but mabye with some blood and maybe a change in patterns (so instead of flowers... maybe runes)

Brilliant idea.

Have you made any progress on your Tantalus...es (Tantalodes)? You said that you had one in you draw and that you accidentaly brought another. Have you made a start on these, or have you been converting more awesome models?
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09 2012, 02:34

Really quick update, I have been painting, more drivel to follow tomorrow....

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 2946cc3d
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10 2012, 08:34

These look great Sky, looking forward to seeing more. Nice details, but I really like the colours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next