THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New to Warhammer, picking up DE!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
geoff877
Slave

New to Warhammer, picking up DE! Empty
PostSubject: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 06:08

I decided to buy some Dark Eldars, I am going to stick with these guys as my first army.I only have a squad of warriors and a haemonc as of today but by the end of the summer I am thinking that I will have at least a 1500 point army. I will obviously start smaller so I can learn the rules and play with some friends. I've looked up a few lists but I want to try and include some of the cooler looking models if possible, and I'm wondering if I can get a competitive army with these particular units.
I want to try include:
-Wracks
-Wychs
-Grotesques'
-Talos
-Incubi
-Scourge
I have read only terrible things about the grotesque but I would really like to add them into my army if at all possible. If they are completely not viable then I will probably just buy one so I can play it for fun. I am completely new to the game so any insight on how I can build my army will be appreciated and I'd like to eventually play outside of my friend group since I am very competitive by nature.
Thanks in advance!!
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 10:04

4 grots, an archon and a haemonculus in a raider is a powerful hammer, but expensive.
They start with T5 FNP and furious charge, and could carry two husk blades, two liquifier guns and another Heami bomb.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 10:18

The unit that Dom suggested is my favourite unit at the minute, it is very difficult to take down.
You will definitely need at least 2 ravagers, the the best long range AT we can take that will be on the table turn 1.
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 12:24

I have gotten by without Ravagers so far, but they are easily our most under costed unit by a long way.

Our battleforce isnt great, but its not bad.
I have converted Raiders into Ravagers, just by gluing lance armed warriors on to the side.

Had I thought about it, I'd use two ramps as platforms for them to stand on, so two raiders would become a ravager and a rampless raider.

Taloi are a bit hard to use because they are slow(ish)
Scourges die.
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01 2013, 13:13

I've not played very much, but have been pretty successful when I have. I've found my Ravager to be somewhat lacking and for that reason I'm unwilling to add a second one; it's consistently poor. I wouldn't say they're a necessity, but they're the best long-range anti-tank in the army. You can get by without them depending on the style of list though.

As far as scourges go, mine have generally been pretty good when I've fielded them. I run 5 with a pair of haywire blasters, generally deep striking. With that configuration they put out 11 shots at infantry that hit on 3s and wound on 4s against most targets, normally enough to make a dent without being a must-kill threat, if there's no tank for them to finish off with haywires (you'll be unlucky to not inflict a glance with them). A quasi- 'finisher unit', as it were, as they give you the shots to finish off the last few models in an infantry unit or to strip the final hull point. I've personally never been disappointed by them.

And rule of cool is exactly the way I'm going with my army - if you think it looks good and you'd enjoy playing with it, then it belongs in your army. The object of the game is to win, but the point of the game is to have fun - never confuse the two!
Back to top Go down
Blutvogt
Hellion
Blutvogt

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2013, 06:17

Panic_Puppet wrote:
The object of the game is to win, but the point of the game is to have fun - never confuse the two!

Absolutely true!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Warhammer, picking up DE!   New to Warhammer, picking up DE! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Warhammer, picking up DE!
Page 1 of 1