THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Venoms how many?

Go down 
+8
steev
HERO
Massaen
Thor665
lonewolf
Preacher
pingualoty
zergavas
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 19:08

I have noticed that a lot of players uses alot of Venoms, and it seems to be the prefered transport in most list´s so i was wondering how many venoms people have ready to fight? Im just getting started with DE and have orderd some units but no venoms, so i would like to know about how many venoms i sould buy next time i order.

Our skimmers are armored with wet cardboard, our men are wrapped in tissue paper armor and most of our ICs and special characters live in abject terror at the thought of a Str 6 weapon that can insta-kill them, We are the Dark Eldar Fear us!
Back to top Go down
pingualoty
Hellion
pingualoty

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 19:44

At 1750 I use only 3 for trueborn, but thats because I use wyches that have raiders, but 3 is a number you'll definatly use.
Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 20:37

I only have one at the moment, but I'd probably agree and aim for 3 for so. Really though it does depend on your list and how you play. I do get along fine with a fleet of Raiders at my side, but then I'm an old-school Archon, Raiders have served me well for the last decade so...

To rule in hell is only the begining..."

Lady No'ki Vankar, Kabal of the Poisoned Claw
Back to top Go down
lonewolf
Kabalite Warrior
lonewolf

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 20:38

i wish i could help but just starting out myself and need to stock up on some venoms myself

These are a few of my favourite things.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 21:02

I own 6, I usually only field around 3-4.

Back to top Go down
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 21:07

Ok, i have purchest:
2xDark Eldar Battleforce
Dark Eldar Incubi - Finecast
Dark Eldar Archon - Finecast
Dark Eldar Mandrakes
2xDark Eldar Ravager

What more could be usfull to purches other than 4 venoms?

Our skimmers are armored with wet cardboard, our men are wrapped in tissue paper armor and most of our ICs and special characters live in abject terror at the thought of a Str 6 weapon that can insta-kill them, We are the Dark Eldar Fear us!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 21:12

What is your end goal hope?

The real question is what point total do you want the army to be at, and what is your rough hope for type of army you want to play?

Back to top Go down
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2012, 22:46

Well in the end i want to be able to field any army i feel like from pure melee to pure firepower but for starters i want to be able to field a main based shooting army with some melee at 1500p.

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 01:06

Okay, if your primary goal is shooty with a touch of assault then you probably already have all the assault tools you'll need (Wyches, Incubi, Mandrakes, and Archon)

First off - I'd get 1x Ravager - you have two, but really there is almost not a shooting army out there that won't benefit from 3x Ravagers, so an additional one would serve you quite well.

For your assault elements you'll probably be using 2x Raiders for two Wych squads or maybe a squad of Wyches and a squad of Incubi (depending how many Incubi you wish to field, natch). 3x Ravagers, 2x Wyches/Incubi in Raiders/Venoms, and a kitted Archon will set you back around 800 points roughly, that leaves you looking for another 700 or so points in further shooting support.

The obvious tools at this stage are Warriors, of which you have some, and Trueborn (which you can model from Warriors). You also have some other workable stuff - I personally am starting to turn against RJBs as much of a viable choice, but they're not bad and for a learning army it's a decent investment, and you already have a bunch of them to work with. So another odd 100 points for a RJB squad (maybe 2?) and the real question starts to become getting you Warriors and Trueborn to help you shoot stuff.

I'd probably look to get about another 2x Venoms and also snag some more Warriors. That will enable you to make some decent piles of Blaster toting Warrior/Trueborns and give them transports to sit in and shoot.

So my advice for next purchases would be;
1x Ravager
2x Venom
1-2x Warriors or maybe some other stuff to kitbash from.

That will give you 4x Venoms with various Blaster toting forces inside them (to save money you could always go just for 2x Venoms, convert Shredders into Blasters, and make Warrior squads with Blasters in the Venoms, at around 125 each for the common build they add a lot of firepower that is affordable and also gives you 4 scoring units, which is very valuable.

Frankly, my real core advice would be to sort of design up a 1500 point list that you'd like to play first, and then see what you would have to buy to make it happen, natch. But the Venoms and Ravager are a good basic outgrowth of your current collection and will give you a potent force that is very classic DE in style, and with your other models will give you a lot of our classic core units to play and learn with so you can maybe figure out what does and doesn't work for you as a DE general.

Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 01:20

I am finding more and more that 5-6 venoms is the sweet spot... Torrents of fire, easy to hide...

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 01:31

Ok, Thx for all the help and advice, it has been realy helpful.

Back to top Go down
zergavas
Kabalite Warrior
zergavas

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 02:32

I have a question, what if i go with 2 Ravager´s and than take a Voidraven Bomber? I would realy want to hear a few pros and cons from veteran players, as i see it the Ravager will not be as targeted as the voidraven, it cost less and it has more attacks. But the Voidraven can be equipped with it´s missiles so wean it comes (assuming im deepstriking it or had it in reservs) it could do a lot of damage to the enemy and the enemy would probebly focus hes firepower on it leaving less deaths in the rest of the army (pressuming that it will hold but i have seen a Rhino take on the full might of 1500p IG for 2 turns and actuly making a guardmen squad flee off the map).

Back to top Go down
pingualoty
Hellion
pingualoty

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 04:31

The bomber isnt worth it as the ravager does AT better and for far less points and can hide more easily.

The main advantage of the Fighter and Bomber is Anti-infantry which if you have enough venoms and warriors you should be OK.

You're right that the bomber could kill alot of stuff (if they are not in transports) but for a unit that will benefit he entire army you want something that kills vehicles, IE a Ravager.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 05:47

That is not true, having used one at a tourney and won the event. The bomber should not bother with missiles and stay focused on AT. So long as you play the cover rules correctly, the huge advantage gained through TLoS means you negate enemy vehicles faster

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 16:18

I'll agree that the bomber is an anti-mech unit and I think giving it missiles is a poor idea.
I personally think that, for the price upgrade, it's not that much better than a Ravager and always use Ravagers myself.

Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2012, 03:06

I personally like running 3 Venoms w/ Blasterborn in 2000 points. In 1500, I don't use any! I only add Venoms as I play above 1500 Smile

Hellion
steev

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2012, 22:06

It realy does depend on the make up of the rest of the force and you might not be able to tell until you start playing with them. I run 3 venoms but am finding that overall I have to much AI and not enough AT, so once I finish painting my current stuff I am going to swap out a venom for a raider.
Back to top Go down
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2012, 06:09

My personal opinion about Venoms boils down to a simple equation: If you want to touch the Venom, you will need a minimum of three to see the effects of the Venom. I personally tend to use 4-5 Venoms as they are my primary anti-MC and small squad killers, and together with my Razorwing, Archon, Haemonculi, and Wyches they are part of my anti-infantry section of my army.

Nonetheless, as others have already said upon this thread it depends on how your perceive your DE to work and how well they mesh into that ideal condition.

Wych
Nomic

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2012, 18:18

I usually have 4-5 Venoms in 1500 points games (2 Warrior units and 2-3 Trueborn units), and 6-7 in 1750 and bigger (add another 2 Warrior units). I don't run quite full Venomspam though, as I have 2 Raiders with Wytches or Wracks.

HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 08:04

Nomic wrote:
I usually have 4-5 Venoms in 1500 points games (2 Warrior units and 2-3 Trueborn units), and 6-7 in 1750 and bigger (add another 2 Warrior units). I don't run quite full Venomspam though, as I have 2 Raiders with Wytches or Wracks.

At what point would you consider the list being Venomspam?
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 08:29

When you have nothing but Venoms (except obviously Ravagers for HS).

HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 16:51

Nomic wrote:
When you have nothing ut Venoms (except obviously Ravagers for HS).

Interesting. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself (and all DE players Razz).

If I took 11 Venoms and 1 random Raider, I wouldn't be able to tell my opponents with a straight face it's not Venomspam. Razz
Back to top Go down
Farmer
Hellion
Farmer

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 16:55

HEROBEAR wrote:
Nomic wrote:
When you have nothing ut Venoms (except obviously Ravagers for HS).

Interesting. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself (and all DE players Razz).

If I took 11 Venoms and 1 random Raider, I wouldn't be able to tell my opponents with a straight face it's not Venomspam. Razz

3-4 venoms is actually quite balanced. running 5+ and i would consider it venom spam.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 17:08

5+ and its spam? interesting take. In theory you can take 11 total raiders or venoms or a mix there of.

I would say Venomspam is more about the overall force and less about having simply 5+ of them...

That said, you need to run them in 2's or 3's to get real mileage from shooting... so i find 6 is about right

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 22:10

Full Venomspam is, to my mind, probably 7-9 Venoms - but I don't think there's any official rule call there. It's a matter of opinion.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Venoms how many? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venoms how many?   Venoms how many? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venoms how many?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next