THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie

Go down 
+3
BetrayTheWorld
fisheyes
WildCandy
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 06:26

The Bunker. yeah, One of my friends 3D designed the pylons, one did the middle/hull section and third designed the 'gems' and doors. It was combined effort of 4 people so it would be dearly wrong to say that I did it alone Smile We have a 3D printer shared between three people (Prusa), which is very good reprap kit.

TO ruled that the relic is grabbed as his broad sides hadn't 'grabbed the relic it was on the ground.

Regarding the grotesqurie, the turn was 2a (necrons turn) when they assaulted the grots. The sweeping happened end of his 2a. I was under impression the fearless kicks in on _my_ turn. Have a I read this ruling wrong?

On the bikes you are right, deploying them some 5" backwards would have kept them safe (basically the 12" line)

I agree with you Betray on the slow-play. I didn't because I was overconfident getting to 'go first' and after the lost jetbikes I was still in the mind set of pushing forward but I didn't have the firepower anymore. And even thou I had, I could have controlled the game better by slow playing the first turns. The game 4 was maybe more of a learning experience compared to game 3. Game 4 would have been winnable without some cardinal mistakes in the beginning even with the seize.

So, the grots become fearless on _game turn_ 2?
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 19:00

Yeah, checked it. It is game turn 2. Would have made things bit different yeah. Talk about playing handicap Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 19:04

Dark Eldar Codex wrote:
POWER FROM PAIN
At the start of each game turn, look up the game turn number on the Power from Pain
table. All models with the Power from Pain special rule gain the special rules listed on the
table, in addition to any other special rules they have.

So yeah, it's GAME turn 2. So you shouldn't have got swept.

Also, I'm pretty sure your TO made an error with that relic, since the relic rules very clearly state that you can ONLY claim the relic in your movement phase. This is an important distinction for exactly the type of reason being displayed in your game here. It's not just turbo-boost. You can't run and claim a relic either, or use a jump-shoot-jump maneuver, or anything else that doesn't specifically occur in the movement phase.
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 19:07

Ok, not that it would have mattered as the opponent had not 'claimed' the relic, and I was holding mine. Thou I think he could have argued that as he depoed near it he could have claimed it.

Well live and learn. This makes grots bit better in my eyes. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 19:11

No problem! So what were your overall thoughts on the list? Would you change it if you were going to do it all over again?
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 19:39

Well,
For smaller list change I think I would drop the spirit seer and downgrade autarch and put him into e.g. with dark reapers and give him launcher (he would be using it every round). Points from spirit seer could be put on rangers or beefing up the War walker group (or adding one extra hornet to the hornet squad).

This is based on the consideration that most of the games ended turn 3. No-one in their right mind assaulted scythes, autarch, spirit seer and haemy are worth 3 kill points in that one unit that to most is prime candidate for killing anyhow to remove the scythes from the board by shooting. And they usually are where this can happen.

Hemlock is ok and is great way to remove marines land raider or take off hp's from IK. Neither which I met in the tournament.

Considering I expected to gain benefit from the leadership trickery, did not happen in the end. Either the enemy was fearless, killed few times over anyways or shriek failed. If my memory serves me correctly I scored one wound with shriek during the 5 games, and I had it on both spirit seer and hemlock 5 games out of 5. Not something that I can rely on.

If I would run similar list with bigger overhaul, I would rather pump more points to Obsec units e.g. taking one unit of Dire avengers with invu shield or rangers just to sit on objective or take line breaker, take two wwp's from deldar Cad, two kabalite warrior squads in double SC venoms or Raiders with splinter racks and add second wg scythe squad to the list.

I'd say there were harder/more netlist Eldar lists in the tournament than my list was sporting 16 D+(small d weapons), warp spiders, jetbikes. Still I faired better, so I'd say there is something in the list that with more practice and some tweaks could come even better (even without taking wk). I liked the theme and the challenge to play eldar differently. I would not change the core of the list that I took to the tournament if I could do it again. Partially also due the comp restrictions.

I am still to make army list rewrite, so the exact numbers are not there yet.
Do you have ideas on top of mine?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01 2017, 22:39

I could be wrong, because I wasn't there, but it seems to me, based on what you've said that the list mostly did it's job pretty well, and that almost all of the things that happened which caused you to lose games probably could have been prevented and changed with a bit more experience, which you now how.

There are plenty of situations where the list would function far better, including the spiritseer, hemlock, and autarch, in my opinion.

You won 2(?) practice games with the list, and 3 games in the tournament, with 1 tie and 1 loss. So you lost only 1 out of 7 games, which likely could have gone differently if you'd had more experience against necrons.

So, if you were playing with the same comp rules, I think I'd try it out against more opponents and see if I ended up using those things(spiritseer/hemlock/autarch) more often.

The negative part about the autarch idea is that he could potentially get killed in turn 1 that way, ruining your reserves manipulation, which is really 95% of the reason he's in your list anyhow. I DO see your reasoning for doing so, making him visually useful every game by shooting things, but risking losing his passive ability to give him a marginally useful shooting ability is probably not a positive value move.

As for the spiritseer, it's sort of a hit and miss thing. Against plenty of things, psychic shriek is a great tool: Wraithknights, Riptides, Termies and really any high toughness and/or high armour save models without strong invuln saves. Now, when you play several games and don't really find yourself facing these things, it's easy to think that the model that provided the tool was not useful, but not having such a model in your list would surely be missed when you end up facing something like a riptide wing.

Essentially, while I think you did AWESOME overall, especially having never played against necrons before, I think with just a couple small tweaks to your gameplay, you probably could have won the tournament. So I wouldn't want to take tools away from the list just because you didn't happen to use them much against the things you were playing against.

Let me ask you this...did you keep track of how much damage the scatter lasers did over the course of the whole tournament?
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02 2017, 10:25

Thank you.

I do agree that the psychic section would normally work better. Autarch did quite a good job tanking hits for the scythes.

I do see your points. I am not dissappointed in the list, that is not what I meant, but compared to few other lists, this is in my mind more finesse list. With some less reliable aspects as the psychics.

I did not keep a track record of the kills but out of my memory things went about like this:
First game: 6-7 terminators, 1 exalted sorcerer, 2 wounds on Demon prince before it flew out of the table
second game: 2 groups of nurglings, 4-5 wounds on demon princes, one herald of tzeench,
third game: two drones
fourth game: 2 wraiths and a wound on wraith
fifth game: falcon, fire dragonsx5, dark reaper and dark reaper exarch, maybe one wound on wk

I am quite happy with the list, I always feel there is room for improvement but on reflection I had better cards on my hand, would have just needed to play them better. Which after the self reflection and going through the mistakes really helped me to put the experience in scope. I considered keeping a track of happenings in the tournament in more detailed way, but I was so in zone that I could not really find the time to do that.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02 2017, 16:50

I understand. It's hard to concentrate playing the game and keeping a record of the game at the same time.

Your scatterbikes killed 6-7 terminators in game 1???!!

That seems like a non-ideal target, haha. Must have been a lot of shots over the course of the game. So, did you try using psychic shriek or D-weapons on those termies?
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02 2017, 17:22

When the targets of choice are limited to
terminators, obliterators and demon prince one is kinda forced, yeah it took 3 rounds to rack up those numbers. Scythes took 8 terminators and hemlock 2 obliterators and few terminators.

shriek failed, twice Smile
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02 2017, 18:23

WildCandy wrote:

Lol, yeah, those are the times you miss those bones of the farseer. Wink

Farseers are so much better at being psykers than even other eldar due to the bones of the farseer and ghosthelms.

Unfortunately, you don't really have an easy way to generate 30 points without sacrificing something that will take away more than a farseer would add(that I recall from memory - not currently looking at your list). And dropping the spiritseer entirely is a possibility, but I don't know what 70 points would give you that is worth more than the 2 psyker levels/shriek.

That's basically the art of listbuilding, right there. Knowing what trades are worth making, and what trades aren't.

Oh, how did that warwalker change work out? Did you still end up running it with the twin EMLs?
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 11:48

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
WildCandy wrote:

Lol, yeah, those are the times you miss those bones of the farseer. Wink
You can say that again...
BetrayTheWorld wrote:

Unfortunately, you don't really have an easy way to generate 30 points without sacrificing something that will take away more than a farseer would add(that I recall from memory - not currently looking at your list). And dropping the spiritseer entirely is a possibility, but I don't know what 70 points would give you that is worth more than the 2 psyker levels/shriek.

That's basically the art of listbuilding, right there. Knowing what trades are worth making, and what trades aren't.
True, especially in with those comp rules.

BetrayTheWorld wrote:

Oh, how did that warwalker change work out? Did you still end up running it with the twin EMLs?
I used the EML's, they did cause flyers to jink which is already good, against most other targets nothing much happened, in principle the s8ap3 missiles are good for sniping IC's, but didn't get to use them for that purpose. It was more shooting the small blasts to remove some cheaper weak armour save models from the table.
As a relatively cheap model I think it gives tactical flexibility having wide range of targets. While expensive as a 2hp, av10 walker but still good for handling multiple roles from harassing, line breaker thief and possilibity to come out of reserve to deal with flyers in to their back plate. Sadly While I got wounds into the flying demon circus they did not fall to the ground Sad
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 19:51

Well, congrats again on your performance. It's been a pleasure discussing strategy with you, and I would be happy to hear about your next foray into the tournament scene!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 23:41

Thank you too!
Back to top Go down
WildCandy
Kabalite Warrior
WildCandy

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 23:49

Your help and mentoring has been extremely friendly and beyond helpful Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie   1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1850pts tournament CTC with Eldar Allies, now featuring Grotesqurie
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5