THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

8e - Tactical Reserves

Go down 
+9
BetrayTheWorld
TeenageAngst
hekatrixxy
Cavash
Imateria
JonTheArchon
Tounguekutter
Eldur
Dalamar
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Dalamar
Sybarite

8e - Tactical Reserves Empty
PostSubject: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 15:00

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/new-warhammer-40000-reserves-and-deep-striking-may17gw-homepage-post-4/
Back to top Go down
Eldur
Sybarite
Eldur

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 15:16

Null deployment is dead and buried in matched play (max half or your units can be in reserves)
Also no reserves turn 4 or later, as they become automatically destroyed.
It is the same for all armies, so I can't argue with that. Also, faster games if the killing starts from turn 1. Let's see if alpha strike doesn't become too powerful... well, at least turn 1 assaults are allowed...

Eldur project log for Dark Eldar and Eldar
Back to top Go down
Tounguekutter
Sybarite
Tounguekutter

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 15:41

Supposing you didn't have a wide enough collection to take advantage of the fact that you can choose which unit arrives (a la sidebar style), do the advantages of holding units in reserve outweigh the costs? I could see it being the case that if my opponent deploys only half of his units that it would be smart of me to deploy all of mine in order to do as much damage as I can before he can bring the full brunt of his force to bear. Then again if I am understanding the changes correctly, you don't need to roll to see if you can bring in reserves, you merely need to decide to do so. In that case then my opponent could simply decide to deploy his full army turn 1 and even the odds.

Which leads me to another point: If our vehicles retain Deep Strike-esque abilities there is no reason why we wouldn't always deploy at half strength. Come the end of Turn 1's movement phase we then just deep strike everything and it's no different or better than if we turbo-boosted to that location from our deployment area - potentially our deployment area won't matter depending on where we want which units! Twisted Evil

My 8th edition fandex is complete enough for appraisal (note that I completed it before any previews had been released) .  I'm sure there are inconsistencies, please let me know where they lie as you find them.  Thank you!  Click here for fandex
Back to top Go down
JonTheArchon
Hellion
JonTheArchon

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 15:49

We don't know how webway portals will work in 8th, they already didn't scatter. I'm curious what they will be in the new edition and if they will be worth taking over just deepstriking in vehicles, assuming that is still around too.
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 15:52

Tounguekutter wrote:
Supposing you didn't have a wide enough collection to take advantage of the fact that you can choose which unit arrives (a la sidebar style), do the advantages of holding units in reserve outweigh the costs?  I could see it being the case that if my opponent deploys only half of his units that it would be smart of me to deploy all of mine in order to do as much damage as I can before he can bring the full brunt of his force to bear.  Then again if I am understanding the changes correctly, you don't need to roll to see if you can bring in reserves, you merely need to decide to do so.  In that case then my opponent could simply decide to deploy his full army turn 1 and even the odds.

Which leads me to another point:  If our vehicles retain Deep Strike-esque abilities there is no reason why we wouldn't always deploy at half strength.  Come the end of Turn 1's movement phase we then just deep strike everything and it's no different or better than if we turbo-boosted to that location from our deployment area - potentially our deployment area won't matter depending on where we want which units!  Twisted Evil
It'll be much better than Turbo Boosting to those positions as you can charge the turn you deep strike in now, sure it's a 9" charge but it's still a massive buff to assualt armies. No wonder Overwatch was changed so that you can keep firing until locked.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 16:14

Bring back Sliscus *shakes cage*

8e - Tactical Reserves YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior
hekatrixxy

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 16:26

Perhaps webway portals will allow placing deep striking units within 3" for example, virtually guaranteeing a charge. Presumably for a reasonably expensive points investment though.

Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 19:56

I want to know who had an aneurysm and decided null deploy had to be scrapped.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 20:16

Some shooty player, obviously. Maybe an IG player.

Cavash wrote:
Bring back Sliscus *shakes cage*

*Feeds the hamster* Good boy. That deserves a treat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed May 17 2017, 22:34

Null deploy was one option we had vs a strong alpha strike, not anymore.

Hope our webway portals fix this obvious DE nerf... Cos DE were soooo OP in 7th. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 00:23

I wonder if the webway portal will be represented by giving all of our units the 'Teleport' key word or similar? Now that no more than half can use it anyway it seems like it would be a good solution. If more fun for us than our opponents Smile
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
organicpesticide
Hellion
organicpesticide

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 00:42

TeenageAngst wrote:
I want to know who had an aneurysm and decided null deploy had to be scrapped.

Null deployment armies remove play from your opponent, similar to what death stars do. Glad they are gone.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 00:56

Nvr fought against full Null Deploy SM?

Drops pods and sky hammer with grav and plasma even turn 1 assault....

So fun to fight against....

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Tounguekutter
Sybarite
Tounguekutter

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 02:34

While I bemoan the loss of an option, it is a loss across all armies and it did always feel weird trying to shorten the length of the game. I'll be glad to not need to null deploy even if it means that I couldn't even if I wanted to.

My 8th edition fandex is complete enough for appraisal (note that I completed it before any previews had been released) .  I'm sure there are inconsistencies, please let me know where they lie as you find them.  Thank you!  Click here for fandex
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitimeThu May 18 2017, 02:58

Don't forget that they could still give specific factions a special rule or detachment that overrides the rule of only half your army. We won't get it, but don't be surprised to see full drop pod armies still being a thing down the line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8e - Tactical Reserves   8e - Tactical Reserves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8e - Tactical Reserves
Page 1 of 1