THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Black Halo

Go down 
+52
The Yak
Black Death
Crazy_Irish
Vael Galizur
Cavalier
Bloodofthefallen2
Amornar
Ikaraii
Dii
facelessabsalom
Dogmar
Siticus the Ancient
Khain mor
Power Hungry Monkey
Malverian Drakkarth
Chaeril
wilku
PurpleSuccubus13
Bearded Dan
Ruke
The_Burning_Eye
3D
notts
Dez
Hadriel Caine
Mike
Vincenzo
dizylizy
Evil Space Elves
asdrubal vect
bork
Nepenthe
Tropheus
Local_Ork
Foo
Raucir Lustingclaw
Smurfy
Incubi Death
kenny3760
speedfreek
Preacher
Mister Feral
darkmark
Hydra
Vanq
Xelkireth
vharing
Saintspirit
Radium
Gobsmakked
killfrenzy
GAR
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Incubi Death
Hellion
Incubi Death

The Black Halo - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20 2011, 23:56

Awesome halo it looks perfect on that venom!
Back to top Go down
Tropheus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2011, 20:52

Airbrushed the model and then painted on the halo? Thats really sharp. Whats the method on your colors out of curiousity on the troops? Dark something then light something then a wash of sepia and a highlight?
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 09:43

Awesome! That circle idea.... just great!

Hive Fleet Hydra

Kabal of the Poisoned Fang
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:00

Tropheus wrote:
Airbrushed the model and then painted on the halo? Thats really sharp. Whats the method on your colors out of curiousity on the troops? Dark something then light something then a wash of sepia and a highlight?

The color selection is Tau sept Ochre mixed with a little P3 Moldy yellow.

other colors are scorched brown, bestial brown and dark flesh mix, and the base color with some skull white mixed in and a mix of modly yellow and bleached bone.

I applied the base color first, then the darker shade colors and then the highlight colors.

No washed, all free hand.

The halo is free hand, but I cheated. I used a pencil and very carefully laid out my curves so I had a line to follow. With such a large surface, it helps to see what I am doing before I apply paint. The pencil was applied very lightly so it was barely visible, but reflected brightly under a bright light.

I still need to go back and do the high lights for the vehicle and the halo, as well as the other details, weapons and crew. But with football season starting my progress is going to slow down. I coach my sons team and it takes up a fair amount of time.

Thanks all for the comments! More is coming soon, I promise!

The Black Halo - Page 3 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:56

Looks fantastic, the blending is great. I somehow feel a nod towards egypt. Maybe we will see some kind of mummy wracks..? Or am I completely talking through the hat now?

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 06:59

Are the scourges completed?
If not, I think they might benefit from some blueish veins on their wing-membranes.
As you have painted them, they look like they could be very thin, almost translucent.
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 11:06

I was in awe until I hit the last page and that venom, at which stage I simply fainted. Smile

Really brilliant stuff.
Back to top Go down
bork
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2011, 20:08

best dark eldar colour scheme out there. the army looks amazing. keeping tabs on this thread.
Back to top Go down
asdrubal vect
Slave
asdrubal vect

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12 2011, 02:18

Shocked wow, just wow. amazing GAR, best I've seen in a while.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12 2011, 05:31

DY-NO-MITE!. Beautifully done. Love the halo and color scheme. Easily the most original DE scheme. I was wondering if the haywire blasters on the Scourges were conversions. Couldn't tell from the picture. Show us more!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 17:17

Howdy.

Pictures of my almost complete Bloodbride/wych unit. I went with different hair colors so I can distinguish one unit from another.

I am very pleased with how they are turning out, although I am still havimg some issues with my camera and the right light setting, so some of them are not as good as I would like.

The reddish brown is different from the Warriors, but I am using the gold/dark sand color to tie them all together. And there is a lot of this same red-brown in the vehicles.

I really need to take an overall army shot in progress so you can see them all.

Comments are always welcomed and encouraged. Thanks!

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01877

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01878

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01879

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01880

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01882

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01884

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01885

Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 17:45

I like it, you seem to have painted the eyes perfectly. The faces in general, really.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 19:02

Technically these are top-notch (which I am sure you know), but for some reason I'm not fully sold on the palette, it makes them seem a bit harlequin-y... :/
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14 2011, 22:53

Luv it GAR, great to see such vibrant colours used on DE! They will complement your vehicles beautifully and absolutely pop on the tabletop.

Your attention to detail is amazing, I'm lucky to get a blob of paint in the eye socket! What are you doing to get the leather so shiny? I really wouldn't mind imitating that.

Cheers.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15 2011, 03:08

Nepenthe wrote:
Technically these are top-notch (which I am sure you know), but for some reason I'm not fully sold on the palette, it makes them seem a bit harlequin-y... :/

Thanks. The pallette, to me, works much better when paired up with the vehicles. That and I had a hankering to include some more red in the overall army.

It might fit better, in your view, if the body suit was all black, which would be fairly common for DE. However, as I am trying to minimize the black as an accent color, I went with the red-brown.

Its alright if its not working for you right now. Maybe later, maybe not. I'm just glad for the critique. Please keep them coming! It helps me and my army get better.

Quote :
Luv it GAR, great to see such vibrant colours used on DE! They will complement your vehicles beautifully and absolutely pop on the tabletop.

Your attention to detail is amazing, I'm lucky to get a blob of paint in the eye socket! What are you doing to get the leather so shiny? I really wouldn't mind imitating that

I'm glad you dig them. The shine I think is from the lights. They are not very shiny in person. However, I did use a touch of white to accent the highlight, so maybe you are picking up on that.

I worked really hard to get the eyes to look right, my eyesight is not what it used to be and sometimes I have to use pictures to see the errors and go back and correct them. Its not perfect, but sometimes the details are too small for me to see with my naked eye. I might have to invest in those optivisor things sooner or later.

My biggest issue is keeping in mind these minis are for playing with and keeping total paint time under 2 hours each. I keep thinking about all the cool extra details I could do, but then I would never get this army done.

Back to top Go down
dizylizy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15 2011, 14:04

I really like these, the scheme it is nice and different, I think it works and will be excellent alongside your vehicles (you should maybe give us a pic or two to that effect Wink ) Though I cant help but feel that they look kind of like some sort of original series Star Trek villains.

Last edited by dizylizy on Tue Aug 16 2011, 14:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15 2011, 14:44

GAR wrote:
Nepenthe wrote:

Thanks. The pallette, to me, works much better when paired up with the vehicles. That and I had a hankering to include some more red in the overall army.

It might fit better, in your view, if the body suit was all black, which would be fairly common for DE. However, as I am trying to minimize the black as an accent color, I went with the red-brown.
I'm not sure if it's a lack of black I'm after, but as it's obviously an effect you were intentionally going for, I'll let you carry on with your art. Still haven't recovered from the pattern on the Venom, btw. Smile
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 17:16

econd unit of wyches.

Still WIP. I hope to make more progress this week across the board on my DE. I have been busy with coaching football and honey dos, so my painting time has taken a hit.

I did do some shading on my prototype venom, it still needs a lot of work. My hope is this week I can get the one venom completed and then begin progress on the other 7.

Things should pick up in Sept, but for now my 2nd Wych unit.

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01886

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01890

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01887

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01888

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC01889

Back to top Go down
Vincenzo
Slave
Vincenzo

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2011, 08:06

The Halo you have on that Venom is one of the most creative ideas I have seen recently.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Slave
Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2011, 09:50

The venom is looking fantastic! Awesome freehand and I really like the bone coloured armour on the infantry, the shading there is great. Looking forward to more!

Hellion
Hadriel Caine

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2011, 09:54

Very cool stuff. I always like when people have the patience to do wyches and bloodbrides- especially when they're so well done. Your scheme looks simple until I look closely and realise how much detail you've done. Very cohesive.

darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2011, 10:35

Don't know how I missed the update, shame on me Embarassed

Anyways these new units are great. Particularly liking the blond wyches, nice touch.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 14:27

Howdy. With the advent of youth football season my paint time has dropped off significantly. Sorry..I'll try to do better.

But on a bye weekend I did make some progress.

2 more venoms and a little bit of detail on the gunners.

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC02139800x599

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC02137800x600

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC02136800x599

The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC02142800x589

And the templates I use to get consistent and repeatable halos
The Black Halo - Page 3 DSC02158800x598

I don't remember if I have shared how I get my pattern.

What I do is I made a template, then I make copies of the template in paper, much like paper dolls, I make several copies. With the paper templates, I can bend them around the model however I like, and if I wreck the template, I just get another paper copy.

I use a sharp pencil or mechanical pencil and lightly trace along the edges of the template on the model. Once this is done I follow my traced lines on the model with Chaos black paint to get the first halo effects. Then I fill the lines out to the right thickness and add the details inside the halo and wha-laa. Instant 6 pointed halo.

CNC welcome. Hope you like!

Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 18:46

I would probably stuff up the hand-painted bits inside the halos so props for doing such a nice job with the fine details GAR. Yet another DE army that must look amazing all together on the tabletop.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 19:15

Awesome idea for a stencil, I'll have to try something similar Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Black Halo   The Black Halo - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Black Halo
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next